ADVERTISEMENT

Huge basketball upset in Women's Final Four in Dallas. MSU 66, UConn 64 in OT

Plainosooner

Sooner starter
Oct 20, 2002
Plano, TX
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...onn-women-basketball-0401-20170331-story.html

It sets up an all SEC final. Mississippi State finished second, one game behind South Carolina in the conference. The two will play each other Sunday night at 6:00.

MSU led by double digits in the first half, but some interesting officiating in the last four minutes of regulation led to a tie. There wasn't much scoring in the game, or in overtime. It was 60-60 in regulation and the Bulldogs won the overtime, 6-4.

MSU's guards, who torched Baylor in the regional final, did it against against UConn, ending the Huskies 111 game winning streak. And they did it despite their 6-7 post picking up two quick fouls in the first quarter, and sitting for a while.

South Carolina beat Stanford by nine. I don't pull for the SEC much, but in this night, I was happy for both. Hate Stanford, and ready for somebody besides UConn.

Reactions: iasooner1
A game for the ages in women's college basketball.
This win by Mississippi State was good for women's basketball when I look at the big picture.....and I hope Mississippi State wins it all. I knew they would be a challenge after beating Baylor.....and after hearing Coach Schaefer's pregame speech to his team.
Coach Schaefer had his team focused and well prepared and UConn had no answers to the MSU defense. His team controlled UConn on offense and defense and never allowed UConn to have one of its trademark runs.....much like Tulane did during the season when UConn barely escaped with a 63-60 win. Clearly, the better team won last night.
UConn had a great season with essentially a 6-player roster, as the depth behind those six players was only average at best. This UConn team far exceeded expectations, especially with a tough non-conference schedule early on. Next season looks brighter for UConn as all but one player leaves and the addition of a top recruiting class and one elite transfer come in.
Some have said if UConn did not lose this season, it may not lose for another two seasons.....but the women's game needed such an upset win now, and I say that as a UConn women's fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT