ADVERTISEMENT

Honest Expectations For this Season

Definitely not official, but that's likely where Bull came up with his 4.3 reference. Medic has seen Murray run and says he isn't that fast, so I will go with the his assessment until an official time is reported.
His Yahoo recruit profile listed him at 4.52. He definitely has great acceleration. His A&M highlights give a good picture of his running ability and speed.

Hmmm...quick first step, less than elite speed, less than elite throwing abilities.

Then again, this was right out of high school. Very likely he's improved.

The knock on most dual threat QBs is that they are so used to running in high school the moment the pocket collapses. Hopefully he's learned to stay in those extra seconds to let the WRs get open.

Hmmm...quick first step, less than elite speed, less than elite throwing abilities.

The knock on most dual threat QBs is that they are so used to running in high school the moment the pocket collapses. Hopefully he's learned to stay in those extra seconds to let the WRs get open.

I thought he showed good patience in those highlights. And I was very impressed with his decision making, most notably avoiding unnecessary contact for measly yardage gain.

Can we please let Baker finish his eligibility before inserting Kyler into the quarterback position. So far there is no evidence that Murray will take a snap whenever the game is still in doubt unless Mayfield is injured. Is Murray a good prospect? Yes. But based on his year at A&M, he isn't an elite college QB yet. We have maybe the best QB in college football this year and everyone seems to be talking about about a backup. I don't get it.

Last edited:
The dust has settled. Lincoln is OUr boy, and we're all pretty excited. But given all variables and now that we've had a few weeks to soak it all in, what are your honest expectations for Lincoln's 1st season?

Big XII title?
Playoff appearance?
First season speed bumps?
Win total predictions?

I'm curious to see what y'all think.
Big XII title? YES
Playoff appearance? YES
First season speed bumps? NO
Win total predictions? Win All

Reactions: iasooner1
Can we please let Baker finish his eligibility before inserting Kyler into the quarterback position. So far there is no evidence that Murray will take a snap whenever the game is still in doubt unless Mayfield is injured. Is Murray a good prospect? Yes. But based on his year at A&M, he isn't an elite college QB yet. We have maybe the best QB in college football this year and everyone seems to be talking about about a backup. I don't get it.
Exactly. No idea why the idea is getting going that Murray is going to take snaps early in key games, which is essentially SHARING snaps with a Heisman finalist QB from last year. The ONLY way I see that happening, is if the offense is struggling severely, and even then it's a long shot. You leave your Heisman finalist on the field and let him run the offense. Why the idea is getting out there that Baker is gonna be suddenly be sharing QB duties is just amazing.

But hey...I guess we could be wrong...Lol :D

My friend When you have a weapon Like Kyler Murray you use him in some situations just like when we had Landry Jones we used Bell for the Belldozer.

Kyler is now a 4.4 guy with a lot of experience and he is stronger after his red shirt year,
In my opinion Riley will give him some early snaps.

Murray hits the corner a lot quicker than Baker.

My friend When you have a weapon Like Kyler Murray you use him in some situations just like when we had Landry Jones we used Bell for the Belldozer.
The Belldozer came to life through the offenses inability to produce in short yardage or goalline situations with Landry behind center. Had nothing to do with Bell being dangerous or a weapon. He came in as a stopgap measure because the offense was having issues. Baker has yet to suffer from these issues while at OU.

So with how well Baker has played his 2 years at OU so far, what situations do you foresee that Murray can come into a game and produce that Baker cannot??

4.5 is plenty fast enough especially for a QB. I can name many great OU running backs and quarterbacks that I doubt were any faster. Power, agility, desire, and feel for the game are probably more important.
Don't disagree with any of that. Spot on.

He's a decent passer and appears to have good accuracy throwing on the run. He's enough of a run threat to keep defenses on their toes, but he's not a burner that is going to be a homerun threat, nor should he run like he is. First downs and moving the chains without unnecessary contact is all OU needs from a QB run.

Baker's stats for 2016,

254/358 (71%)
3,965yds
40 TDs
8 Ints
Baker ended the year with the highest QB rating for an entire season, in the history of college football!!

Not to mention, Baker has feet plenty good enough to make plays on his own, keep plays alive, and escaping whatever pressure is able to make it through OU's offensive line.

I'm sorry, but you don't take snaps away from a QB that produces on that level, so you can get some big-time game snaps to some sophomore backup that appears to have a bright future.

Put.
Him.
On.
The.
Field.
WITH.
Baker.

There's no rule stating Baker has to come off the field when Murray comes on. Baker is the man, no doubt, but Kyler can add another dimension to make the defense's head explode.

Options. Options. Options.

Whatever playing time Murray gets this year at QB, I hope it is enough to prep him for 2018 and beyond, aside from helping the team win this year.
As for Kendall, he gets virtually ignored in conversations about this year's team. If Kendall gets shoved behind Murray....and with Robison (who will redshirt this season) and Mordecai coming in....he's possibly going to transfer. And who could blame him ?
As for the DL depth, it's not very deep and not very proven and no doubt McNeill will get the blame from someone here if it proves porous against the likes of Ohio State, Texas, and Oklahoma State. Gallimore and Romar are decent on the inside, and Ward is a good DE, but what's behind these three is of unknown and unproven talent. Remember too, that DE Bledsoe won't be back until the second half of the season, and DT Overton is coming back from his injury.

Less than elite speed for a qb? Might want to watch that tape again. Time and again he gets to corners and past lbs into the secondary.

Put.
Him.
On.
The.
Field.
WITH.
Baker.

There's no rule stating Baker has to come off the field when Murray comes on. Baker is the man, no doubt, but Kyler can add another dimension to make the defense's head explode.

Options. Options. Options.
I'm all for the kid getting on the field in another role to make some plays. But I'm not a fan of Murray "taking snaps" behind center early in big games.

Murray would have been a great triple-option QB. His quickness at the soft triangle opening would have been Hollowayesq.

I expect to see Murray in a lot of "wildcat" sets next to the RB in a single-wing alignment. A read option with the added demension of throwing off the read will put tremendous pressure on a RZ D

Which begs the question to me at least, why is the the XII locked into a bowl scheme we are in where 9-3 leaves us in a pitiful bowl, maybe El Paso while the b1g or $ec are playing in Florida on New Year's day with 9-3, 8-4 (or worse) etc ?
Because the Big XII is at the very bottom of the power 5 conferences.

I 100% agree!
This is what makes OU's offense better than last season. We have dangerous depth at QB with Tyler Murray. He is proven after his year at ATM. .

Last season we had NO depth at QB with only Baker and Kendall an incoming freshman
If Baker went down we were dead.

With Kyler, he is explosive and dangerous and he is fine passer also. He will give defenses hell with his blazing speed and his explosiveness. He is a touchdown waiting to happen.

And we have possible the nation's best OL to help our QBs & our offense.
What did Murray do it ATM. He is good athlete. Do you r ember that Murray would not go in the game against Alabama when he was at ATM?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT