ADVERTISEMENT

Honest Expectations For this Season

bcsoonerfan

Sooner starter
Aug 7, 2007
The dust has settled. Lincoln is OUr boy, and we're all pretty excited. But given all variables and now that we've had a few weeks to soak it all in, what are your honest expectations for Lincoln's 1st season?

Big XII title?
Playoff appearance?
First season speed bumps?
Win total predictions?

I'm curious to see what y'all think.

2 or 3 losses.
Bowl appearance.
No playoff berth.
A year featuring the emergence of some of the younger talent (true freshmen and redshirted freshmen and Caleb Kelly, Kyler Murray).
Hopefully a season of fewer injuries and suspensions.

For me it's hard to figure how the offense will go. WR and RB losses from last year leave some HUGE shoes to fill. I have a hard time believing everything will be up to speed in time for the trip to Ohio State. I really hope I am wrong on that though.
But after Ohio State, I don't see why OU can't run the table in the Big XII. Thought Texas is always a roll of the dice you can't ever know what to expect. And the offense should get better and better as the season goes. I think this should be a good year for the defense.
So OU returns enough to make a legit run to the playoffs. Ohio State is the only severe test and it's early. But...I do admit I haven't taken a hard look at the other teams in the Big XII to see what kind of legit threats loom out there in conference.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
I'm still confused (and miffed) at Riley for taking 3 games to figure out Mixon was our best weapon last year...and that's saying something when two other guys were Heisman finalists. The flip side was that our O was playing well enough by the end of the year to score as many as Clemson did against Bama (a D that faced crap SEC offenses all year and began the year facing a USC team that stupidly did not start Darnold).

If Riley throws caution to the wind and opens up the playbook from the get-go, I'm optimistic anything can happen. I feel the D will be decent enough (I'm looking for leadership out of Caleb Kelly).

On the flip side, if we start off giving our best RB 5 touches and targeting other WRs besides our #1 maybe 3 times (i.e., Houston last year), we're screwed. The blessing in disguise may be that we have no clear bell cow at RB and WR this year, so we have to spread the wealth...much harder for opposing Ds to scheme against. A team effort feeding off of Mayfield's enthusiasm may be enough to even win in the Shoe.

If Mayfield stays healthy 2 losses. If he does not then 3 or 4 losses. I have a bad feeling he will be running around trying to make something happen unless some guys step up to fill some big shoes on offense.

The difference between 0 and 4 losses will be the discipline of our OLine and DLine. I like our chances. Keeping Baker upright and moving at will rather than running for his life will be the key to beating Ohio State. Our OLine is one of the best in the country so it comes down to keeping the opposition out of the end zone. Personally, I believe our young LBs and DBs have the talent to keep us in the + category. The question will be how long it will take to "get in the groove"? What I liked most about last year was the fact that we got better every week. I think we lose in Ohio, get a scare in the Cotton Bowl & Stillwater but come out with one loss and make the playoffs.

I thought Abe was dead! I guess I must be more attentive.:eek:;)

f0a72881dabf1602f49665f714458c15.jpg

The dust has settled. Lincoln is OUr boy, and we're all pretty excited. But given all variables and now that we've had a few weeks to soak it all in, what are your honest expectations for Lincoln's 1st season?

Big XII title?
Playoff appearance?
First season speed bumps?
Win total predictions?

I'm curious to see what y'all think.

Big XII title?..........YES
Playoff appearance?.......YES
First season speed bumps?.......NONE
Win total predictions?......UNDEFEATED

I think it's a toss up, but I have to admit I'm a wee bit more amped up for the season to begin. I do feel that Bob would have won another B12 title. If Lincoln doesn't, I'll be surprised. I think Bob may have beat a team Lincoln may lose to, and vice versa.

Quick question, has the change in head coaches changed anyone's predictions for this season? Has Riley increased or decreased fans expectations for this season??
My expectations are influenced more by the loss of Westbrook, Perine and Mixon who represented at least 40% of OU's offense last year and had everything to do with OU winning ten games.
I also wonder if OU will improve on defense which must happen if any kind of championship is possible.

Now for a realistic prediction. Big 12 title? Probably. Playoff appearance? No. Losses? Ohio state and probably one in conference

My undefeated prediction is very "realistic"
We are deeper at QB with a dangerous Tyler Murray & Kendall backing up Baker. FINALLY WE HAVE TALENTED QB DEPTH.
Baker Mayfield has some excellent WRs to throw to including Mark Andrews and Mead, and the Kentucky transfer who averaged about 21 yards per catch and others. We do have some quality RBs with some good youth.
AND our very deep Offensive Line could be the nation's best. They will really help OU's offense.

On Defense our LBs will be much better & our DL will be deeper. We will be good at DBs

Our kicking game should be sound.

We will be ready to kick ass and we will beat Ohio State in game 2. The Buckeyes got stomped in their last game of 2016 in the playoffs and we can do the same thing to them. Barrett does not impress me and pressure makes him nervous. He is an erratic passer.

This is our year.

BOOMER SOONER!

Last edited:
Barrett owned us last year and thrived under pressure. Also the defense opinions is purely guessing. I'm going by what I've seen so far. They are going to have to prove it

We are a different team than last season & Barrett deteriorated as the season progressed. He was shut out in the playoffs. His passing was miserable.

Reactions: iasooner1
I honestly don't care what he did vs other teams, he completely owned us. And we are a different team yes, we have different players. However we don't know if we will be a better team. That's purely guessing at this point
I'm going to concur with my homie Berryhill. A new head coach, new skill players, and defensive folks who sucked ass last season. I'm not predicting John Blake 2.0, but a mediocre season of 4 losses won't surprise me.

I concur with Bull on OUs defense. I do think overall the defense is primed to have a better year overall than last year.

But....the thing that really worries me is when I think back to last years debacle against Ohio State. Mike Stoops plays Will Johnson at OLB, then Ohio State schemes to take advantage of him playing at OLB, then after the game Mike Stoops says Ohio State MADE Will Johnson play like an OLB as it being an issue.

I can't help but think that the same man who said that is still running OUs defense. So we'll see what happens. But that above tells you all you need to know about OUs DC and it was a complete coaching mismatch when Ohio States staff was on the opposing sideline.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
I'm going to concur with my homie Berryhill. A new head coach, new skill players, and defensive folks who sucked ass last season. I'm not predicting John Blake 2.0, but a mediocre season of 4 losses won't surprise me.
It won't surprise me either, but a 4 loss season may not reflect negatively on Riley or any of his coaches....not when considering unproven running backs and wide receivers on offense and a young defense and a tough schedule with road games at Ohio State, Texas in Dallas, at Kansas State and at Oklahoma State.
And injuries and suspensions will always be lurking.

It won't surprise me either, but a 4 loss season may not reflect negatively on Riley or any of his coaches....not when considering unproven running backs and wide receivers on offense and a young defense and a tough schedule with road games at Ohio State, Texas in Dallas, at Kansas State and at Oklahoma State.
And injuries and suspensions will always be lurking.
Precisely my thoughts.

Team dynamics change from year to year. The dynamics of the 2017 football team has already experienced some dynamic changes. I love Bob Stoops as a coach. He was a great coach and a better person. I don't like to rank players or coaches, but Bob Stoops was, at a minimum, at the same level as Bud and Barry.

However, change is always good. I like the coaching change. Not for any negative reason about Bob, but just for the sake of change and the excitement within the program that Lincoln Riley has made. I think Bob's confidence in Riley speaks volumes for Riley and his capability to lead the OU program.

So, I just think the new energy within the program is worth a lot. I don't know whether that impacts the number of wins, but it sure doesn't hurt it either. So, I put the under/over at regular season wins at 10 and 1/2. In this day and age it is really hard to go undefeated in the regular season. If, OU were to beat tOSU in Columbus, Ohio then my over under would go to 11 and 1/2.

OU should be no less than a -7 favorite in every game, except for the tOSU game. So, 11 - 1 is a good bet. The Texas, K-State and OSU games will be tough games. I think that OU should win all three, but winning them all won't be easy.

We should see a different offense from Ohio State......Kevin Wilson. Whether this is good or bad is yet to be seen. Statistically Wilson is a ground gamer rather than air gamer. Does this provide an advantage or disadvantage in setting up our schemes to stop them? Yet to be seen. The key will be our D Line and the ability to stop them in short gains and our LB play. Nothing new hear. I have faith between our tackles to stop them. The perimeter or outside sweeps can be the killer. Brent forced them to throw the ball in the playoffs by stopping their run game sideline to sideline. Riley named a defensive guy as Assistant Head Coach. If Mike has to run his game plans by someone that knows as much or more about defending the opposition then whether we see an improved defense rest with the new guy's abilities. As always, I have very high hopes in our ability to go undefeated and make the playoffs.

Oh, crap. If we lose 4 games it will definitely be due to our new DT coach and everyone will hear about all during the off season! :eek: I will be shocked if we lose 4 this year.

Big XII title?..........YES
Playoff appearance?.......YES
First season speed bumps?.......NONE
Win total predictions?......UNDEFEATED

I'm all in on the hype Bull! Boomer Sooner! The offense will be outstanding and the defense needs a quick start out of the gates. Fall practices need to be 1s against 1s to be ready for TOSU.

If Riley can't find a way to replace the production of Perine, Mixon, & Westbrook, he is the one to blame. He was the OC the last 2 years and responsible for the last 3 offensive recruiting classes. Mayfield, Perine, & Mixon were already here when he was hired. His guys are Freshman, Sophomores and Juniors this year.

If Riley can't find a way to replace the production of Perine, Mixon, & Westbrook, he is the one to blame. He was the OC the last 2 years and responsible for the last 3 offensive recruiting classes. Mayfield, Perine, & Mixon were already here when he was hired. His guys are Freshman, Sophomores and Juniors this year.
Replacing three franchise players would be difficult for any coach.
Can't see blaming Riley for the offense not being as good as it has been over the past three years....recruiting offensive and defensive talent is the job of the entire staff.
This year, unlike previous years, OU's defense will not be carried by as high a scoring offense as before and it must play at a higher level.

If Riley goes all Mike Leach, Air Raid. I can tell you right now, our defense will suck. With the Oline, Baker will have time to make passes but that line can make holes, for a solid running game.

I think the defense will go as the offense goes. If we run a solid, balanced offense, the defense should be able to respond. If we run a Air Raid offense, the defense will get gassed.

I expect another BigXII Championship. OkieLite always aggys somewhere along the way. KSU, doesn't have the offense, to win. Texass, has some talent but none have shown to be Football Players.

I can see Murray being called on to Lead four or five drives a game. With him running the option read. Defenses will not adapt, to his game plan and see a very explosive player. Covering all 11 players gives every defense fits. Baker can scramble but Murray can flat, leave a guy grabbing his jock strap. I honestly think Riley will game plan some complete drives with Murray as the QB

Barrett owned us last year and thrived under pressure. Also the defense opinions is purely guessing. I'm going by what I've seen so far. They are going to have to prove it

Like I said OU is a different team especially on defense.

Also do you remember Trevor Knight's deterioration from the great game he played vs. Alabama?
The same goes for Barrett with his great game vs. OU last season.
Barrett deteriorated dramatically as the season progressed and he got shutout in the playoffs. It was like he forgot how to pass the football.He was horrible.

ADVERTISEMENT