ADVERTISEMENT

High School Football team...name your favorite.....

This could be a team you follow today or where you went to school.

Mine is the Catoosa Indians, I try to make a couple of home games each year. We're not usually that good, but what the heck, it's high school..............

Eh, my high school, Eisenhower, Lawton has become a shell of its former self, so, I don't look for any titles for them for the time being.

My adopted team, Jenks Trojans, always in the hunt for trophies and usually in the top 50 nationally per Maxpreps.
Also, they give OU a stud or two every now and then.

Del City Eagles. My hometown and graduated from DCHS.
Football stadium is named Robert Kalsu Stadium. After Bob Kalsu of course. You can nearly see the stadium from the house I grew up at.

6655fe2f-70bb-494f-b46f-5b6d0132767b_500.jpg

Bixby Spartans , Butch Davis, Chris Harris(Broncos) and hopefully Nick Roller"soon to be a Sooner's next Millard) give him a scholly!!!!!!!!!!!! oh and Fitty SCREW jenks!

Ps, I played a couple of plays against Butch Davis from Bixby. Big time trash talker. I went in as a sub and fell on my ass for two plays trying to block him. My coach asked me why. I told him my feet were frozen and I couldn't feel them. It was a really cold night............True story.

Last edited:
1977 was the last time that I can remember that we beat Jenks(22-0) my soph. year, best coach I ever had Bert Graham.............

Well, they just recruited better than you. I had a high school friends son that was recruited to Tulsa Union in baseball. Bought his house in Coweta. Resold it back to him two years later. I had Owasso coaches calling me about my daughter in her high school freshman year of basketball. No offers, just recruiting a 5'11 inch center that could hit three pointers.

Well, they just recruited better than you. I had a high school friends son that was recruited to Tulsa Union in baseball. Bought his house in Coweta. Resold it back to him two years later. I had Owasso coaches calling me about my daughter in her high school freshman year of basketball. No offers, just recruiting a 5'11 inch center that could hit three pointers.

I 'heard' that it was much worse in the 80s and 90s. 'Friends' of Jenks (and Union for that matter) football getting fat jobs for players fathers at the Ford Glass Plant just to get them in the district.

How the hell do you think they got Kejuan Jones?

(if memory serves Jones was at Central High, Tulsa...adds a whole new meaning to the term 'High' school)

Last edited:
This could be a team you follow today or where you went to school.

Mine is the Catoosa Indians, I try to make a couple of home games each year. We're not usually that good, but what the heck, it's high school..............
I keep tabs on the high school I graduated from in 1968, Demarest HS in New Jersey.
I once followed the school I attended in Houston, St. John's, whose mascot was the "Rebels". But a few years ago, the PC police decided that was wrong and the school changed its mascot to the "Mavericks". I'm done with St. John's.
Wonder when the PC neurosis will go after Jeb Bush ? (Jeb Stuart was a Confederate cavalry officer).

I keep tabs on the high school I graduated from in 1968, Demarest HS in New Jersey.
I once followed the school I attended in Houston, St. John's, whose mascot was the "Rebels". But a few years ago, the PC police decided that was wrong and the school changed its mascot to the "Mavericks". I'm done with St. John's.
Wonder when the PC neurosis will go after Jeb Bush ? (Jeb Stuart was a Confederate cavalry officer).
CT, I'm sure you remember Lamar High School here in Houston. They have been around since 1936. They were the Redskins a few years ago. Now the Texans. I can't understand that decision. Confusing when the headline says "Texans".

CT, I'm sure you remember Lamar High School here in Houston. They have been around since 1936. They were the Redskins a few years ago. Now the Texans. I can't understand that decision. Confusing when the headline says "Texans".

Yeah, I don't get it either hOUston.
What's next, they gonna change the default name for Spanish peanuts?
The same, redskins.

Not a fan of high school football, but have an interesting fact about my high school football team; the Bartlesville Bruins.
When I was in high school from 1992-1996, our varsity football team only won 1 game in all of those years. It was definitely a dark age for Bartlesville football.

Coincidentally/ironically/whatever, the one game that they won just happened to be against Booker T Washington when they had both De'mond Parker and RW McQuarters. Go figure.

Not a fan of high school football, but have an interesting fact about my high school football team; the Bartlesville Bruins.
When I was in high school from 1992-1996, our varsity football team only won 1 game in all of those years. It was definitely a dark age for Bartlesville football.

Coincidentally/ironically/whatever, the one game that they won just happened to be against Booker T Washington when they had both De'mond Parker and RW McQuarters. Go figure.

Oh man, Jcon, that's brutal.
You're right, beating BT Washington...ya got to ask, what were the odds? Like a gazillion to one?

Shawnee High School. Wolves, mind you. Graduated in 1984.

Home of Darrien Gordon, played for Stanford and several pro teams. Most notably as one of the best punt returners in the game.

He was also a 2x state champion in wrestling, I believe.

Speaking of wrestling, State Champs in 1986, 1988, and 1989. And the #1 team in the nation in 1986.

I'm sure there are other guys who played football (Scott Dawson played for OU back in the day). Our stadium is named for Jim Thorpe, and many of his relatives still live there.

Talihina? My old high school played them in bball tourney just this part yr. Beautiful country. And micco I have a buddy who coaches for Shawnee, you still attend games?

Reactions: BillyRay
1977 was the last time that I can remember that we beat Jenks(22-0) my soph. year, best coach I ever had Bert Graham.............

Bert Graham was one of my assistant coaches at Star Spencer. When he became head coach at Stroud, Bert took our offense with him and won a lot of games there. He was one mean SOB on the field but a great guy and well liked. If you didn't give 100%, you paid for it. So, pssooner, did you play for Bert at Stroud?

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Bert Graham was one of my assistant coaches at Star Spencer. When he became head coach at Stroud, Bert took our offense with him and won a lot of games there. He was one mean SOB on the field but a great guy and well liked. If you didn't give 100%, you paid for it. So, pssooner, did you play for Bert at Stroud?

Grrr, the very first time my Ike Eagles advanced to a playoff in its young history was against Star Spencer in the mid sixties.
Ike, being an all white school (pre-busing) didn't have a prayer.
Those brothers kicked our asses up and down the field all night. At least it was rainy and cold, had that going for us.

Oh my, PC police...did I cross a line of propriety?
Get over it...that's the way it was back then.
For better or worse. I'm not going to play any freakin' games...ever.

Radford High School Rams in Honolulu--my alma mater

Lawton High School Wolverines--my daughter's alma mater and where I currently teach math. 2015 NFL Hall of Fame inductee Will Shields is a Wolverine. LHS got to the 6A Finals last year where we lost to a team from Bixby that was just better than we were.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Del City Eagles. My hometown and graduated from DCHS.
Football stadium is named Robert Kalsu Stadium. After Bob Kalsu of course. You can nearly see the stadium from the house I grew up at.

6655fe2f-70bb-494f-b46f-5b6d0132767b_500.jpg

BillyRay....I think you told me that you went to junior high at Del Crest and I graduated from Kerr Junior High when Del Crest was in its first or second year. Since you lived that near DCHS, you must be quite a bit younger than me since back when I was at Kerr, everyone living near the high school went to Kerr. I knew a lot kids living near your neighbor and went to school with them for three years before moving into the Star Spencer school district (OKC). That was back in the early 60's. Funny thing is I received an invitation from the DCHS Class of 1965 50th Year Class Reunion last month. I've kept in close contact with a few of the kids I went to school with and attended their 25th class reunion in 1990. We had a great time, but this year the for 50th, alcohol isn't going to be permitted. LOL Geez, I'm old but not dead. I'm going to pass this time. Go Eagles!!

Grrr, the very first time my Ike Eagles advanced to a playoff in its young history was against Star Spencer in the mid sixties.
Ike, being an all white school (pre-busing) didn't have a prayer.
Those brothers kicked our asses up and down the field all night. At least it was rainy and cold, had that going for us.

Oh my, PC police...did I cross a line of propriety?
Get over it...that's the way it was back then.
For better or worse. I'm not going to play any freakin' games...ever.

That was my senior year, which was the 1964 season. My teammate San Toi DeBose ran for a lot of yardage and we won 30-12 at Taft Stadium. That made us 11-0. Then we played for State on Owen Field against Ada and Bobby W. San Toi scored on a long run early. We when for two and it failed....we never kicked extra points back then. That was it for the night. The Cougars beat us 33-6. When they ran out of the field that night, I thought it was the Sooners. LOL I thought Lawton Ike had the coolest uniforms of any team we played that year.

That was my senior year, which was the 1964 season. My teammate San Toi DeBose ran for a lot of yardage and we won 30-12 at Taft Stadium. That made us 11-0. Then we played for State on Owen Field against Ada and Bobby W. San Toi scored on a long run early. We when for two and it failed....we never kicked extra points back then. That was it for the night. The Cougars beat us 33-6. When they ran out of the field that night, I thought it was the Sooners. LOL I thought Lawton Ike had the coolest uniforms of any team we played that year.

Yep, thanks for taking me down memory lane there 'bama.

I can't believe I'm dredging up all this ancient history...maybe it's the 2000 milligrams of fish oil a day...

As to the Ike unis...that baby blue crap did POP somehow. It's a mystery.:cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT