ADVERTISEMENT

Here's the dude that made me lose all respect for Dr. Tom...

sooner_mike1

Sooner starter
Jan 31, 2010
Ok, I'll be honest...I never liked Osborne any way.

Lawrence Phillips, Ex-NFL RB, Charged with Murdering Prison Cellmate
By Mike Chiari, Featured Columnist Sep 2, 2015

hi-res-0fa245e6aab54ae61cfe4ff4b4f5fb4e_crop_north.jpg

ERIC DRAPER/Associated Press
Reads
Comments
Former NFL first-round pick Lawrence Phillips, who is already serving a 31-year prison term, was charged with murder in the first degree Wednesday in the death of his cellmate.

According to the Associated Press, the former University of Nebraska standout is accused of killing Kern Valley State Prison cellmate Damion Soward in April by strangulation.

The 40-year-old Phillips is due in court Sept. 15, per Adam Herbets of BakersfieldNow.com. While Phillips will not face the death penalty, according to Josh Peter of USA Today, prosecutor Andi Bridges expects a lengthy sentence if he is found guilty, per Herbets.

"If we are successful with the conviction as charged, he is facing a term of 25 to life, plus 15 years," Bridges said.

Phillips' current prison term relates to multiple assaults of his ex-girlfriend, as well as an incident in which he drove his vehicle into a group of teens in 2005.

Phillips spent three seasons in the NFL with the St. Louis Rams, Miami Dolphins and San Francisco 49ers. He rushed for just 1,453 yards and 14 touchdowns in 35 games before exiting the league in 1999 due to off-field issues. He also spent one season in NFL Europe and two years in the Canadian Football League.

Prior to the new charge brought against him, Phillips was set to be eligible for release from prison in 2032.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.