ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone seen an updated depth chart?

K2C Sooner

Sooner starter
Sep 2, 2012
Catoosa OK
I always thought they came out about two weeks before kickoff. Maybe not, but I can't even find any sites guessing.

My question is whether Austin Seibert has a backup, at what I assume will take in kick offs,field goals and punting? That is a lot of responsibilities for one player. Sure hope he doesn't get hurt or wear down.

I believe J. Steed, backup punter, either graduated or at least he's not on this sites roster.

Thoughts?

Edit; I have seen several posters and pundits guessing on the depth chart, nothing official.

Good question now that Nick Hodgson is gone.
I thought during his time here, Hodgson was a very valuable (and very unappreciated) player. His deep kickoffs impacted many games as very few were returned or at least returned a long way.
If I were selecting an all time Sooner team, Hodgson would be on my team as a kickoff kicker.
Sure would be helpful if OU found a similar deep kicker. I know the defensive coaches would like it.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
On the official site, just the quarterback and running back depth chart includes Trevor Knight, Cody Thomas and Alex Ross.

So the answer to your original question is no.

There is a lot of info on the premium side, that will tell you about a bunch of guys who the staff says are making progress and will play. You know the quarterbacks. We only have two on ship who are eligible this season. The running backs are pretty obvious. Right now, Brooks is three, but Adams is very unlikely to redshirt.

Most would say that there are eight OL's who might rotate. The staff seems to imply that Alvarez might not have sewed up center, but some of us think they're just trying to get him motivated. But apparently, the second center, Wren the walk on, is considered a possibility to start. I'll believe that when I see it. But Wren is a walk on who has paid significant dues. It mostly though seems like the starting five depends on Evans. If he wins the right tackle spot, then that likely moves Samia to right guard. That decision might have been recently made, but it hasn't been announced. Ford is apparently the left guard and the 6-8, 340 something returning left tackle is cemented there so long as he's healthy.

Lots of wides are going to play. The feature guys are likely Dede and Andrews. But there are a couple of guys who have been hurt there, who are going to play. Start? I don't think anybody is sure. I'm looking forward to seeing Smallwood. Mykel Jones has been hurt early in camp, but they talk about him with expectations that he'll play unless he gets hurt again. I loved his pre injury high school video. He played much of his senior year in the aftermath of knee surgery. They like Mead. I don't know why. Miller, Green and Lewis are likely to play. Sooner legacy Basquine is likely to play.

Flowers will start when we play one feature back but want a blocker. Knight will play HB some.

On defense, the top six inside are Walker, Romar and Dimon. But don't be surprised if we play a lot more 4-2 than 3-3. They aren't talking about it at all. Romar has missed some practice. But ... Wade, Gallimore and Bledsoe are going to play. They love Gallimore and Bledsoe. I suppose that Amani might redshirt. But they love him. Bob says that Gallimore is the best RF DT.

Ward will play. Roberts might. Jackson is a maybe. THe expect Obo to be their best pass rusher. He busts too much, but is an elite athlete, or so they say.

Evans and Evans are the two inside linebackers, though Tay has most half the practices or more. But he earned it in the spring. They expect the two Lackawana guys to play, especially Doucet. They thought he'd be inside, they say they're using him on the edge. They said Beal would play on the edge; he's playing inside. They like all three true freshmen, but the highest profile, Kelly, has been dinged. Hard to learn without being out there.

The starters are set at corner. Austin will pair with Thomas, who won't miss Houston for his off season indiscretion. Chargers were dropped.

Parker and Ahmad Thomas are the safeties. Will Johnson will play nickle against UHouston. I have to think.

It's really late. My computer just took it upon itself to erase five paragraphs. I'm going to bed. Ask a question, and I'll tell you what I've heard, or think or know.

Who backs up Seibert? I've read all the other stuff you posted....As far as sleep, I am up and down according to the pain in my feet and legs.....Good night.

Right now, Seibert is the PK and the punter and the KO guy. So they may need somebody. But whoever it is, will be a walk on. You can see all the guys who have walked on at the official site roster, Soonersports.com .

There are four guys on the roster who kick it off the ground, including Seibert. Seibert and and Edmond Memorial true freshman Braxton Pickard also both punt.

Last edited:
I always thought they came out about two weeks before kickoff. Maybe not, but I can't even find any sites guessing.

My question is whether Austin Seibert has a backup, at what I assume will take in kick offs,field goals and punting? That is a lot of responsibilities for one player. Sure hope he doesn't get hurt or wear down.

I believe J. Steed, backup punter, either graduated or at least he's not on this sites roster.

Thoughts?

Edit; I have seen several posters and pundits guessing on the depth chart, nothing official.

K2C, just be patient for one more day. OU will release the first depth chart on the OU official site sometime on Monday, most likely following practice or Bob's press conference.

Also, defense finally has good size up front. Hopefully, we won't get steamrolled by ground and pound games anymore.

Charles Walker 304
Jordan Wade 310
Matt Dimon 275

Oko 245
J Evans 235
T Evans 242

Stoops said Baxter will return punts in his press conference today.

Return or fair catch? JJ........

Looks like Alverez will start over Wren.

I did see Seibert has some back ups, but I've never heard of them. Hope they are capable if needed. Surprised Gallimore is third team, I heard some great things on him this pre-season. He's still young.

Thanks for the link, Roy..............

Last edited:
What I took from Stoops' remarks today is that he feels good about his team and the direction it's going. He came across as relaxed and informative and not defensive or condescending. He seems to really embrace his position at OU. I liked what I heard.
I've been getting that vibe from Bob too.
I think, with this particular group of assistants he's found his stride.
Exciting times.

Wow! I just reread the chart and Jordan Wade is projected over Matt Dimon. I absolutely hope the light has come on for Wade (310 #'s). I loved him early in his career, but he seems to have been a bit player the last few years. Walker and Wade? Yeah, I love it. Nothing against Dimon, I think he has some nagging injuries................

I think Dimon is starting too, just at DE. Wade is NT.

Dimon is probably going to be the edge rusher. Walker and Wade the clogs.

I think you guys are confused. Dimon is starting, along with Walker and Wade. Maybe you're confusing Dimon and Romar. Wade is starting over Romar who has been hurt, not over Dimon. Last year, Dimon and Walker played the same position. This year, they will start opposite each other, with several guys inside, with Wade right now listed number one on the nose.

Roberts and Gallimore are listed behind Dimon. Ward and Bledsoe are listed behind Walker. Romar is listed behind Wade and no third teamer named there. Most of us thought Overton would be third there.

There were interesting surprises. Most didn't think that Dalton would be the starter at guard. And Mittermeier as number two tackle behind Orlando Brown wasn't something I've seen discussed hardly at all. And Powers as the number two at both guards was a surprise. It seems like they sought to have eight linemen that they could rotate. But Bob only name seven at the presser. Nothing about Powers or Mittermeier. He said the Evans would play a lot, and anticipated that Wren would get some reps. Nobody else besides the starters was mentioned.

Bob likes Evans and Evans at inside linebacker. But they're going to be very flexible, depending on the team they're defending. I found it interesting that with all the nice things said about both Lackawanna linebackers, that Beal is listed third at inside linebacker, behind Bolton who is hurt and one Evans.

Quick is listed ahead of Motley. But Cobb has made a lot of progress and is ahead of Mbanasor.

Doucet is listed behind Johnson. Kapri is 32 pounds heavier. So my guess is that when we play somebody like tOSU, Doucet will play more than maybe he does against UHouston. We'll see. And Caleb Kelly, also hurt a lot in camp, is third behind those two. If he's healthy, I'll bet we see him on some special teams.

On the other outside LB are three pass rushers. Obo, then DeBerry, and then true freshman Mark Jackson.

Most interesting piece of information today for me: that OUr top two centers started next to each other four or five years ago at Mesquite Horn ... at guard and tackle. Just so you know.

Last edited:
Yes, I meant Romar instead of Dimon. Both of the guy's are very good journeymen that hardly anyone talks about...............MY bad.

Journeymen is a little harsh, IMO. Those guys made a lot of plays last year, until the depth got gutted by an injury and an academic casualty in the bowl game. Right now, it appears that we have eight guys whom the staff feels like they can count on in specific circumstances. Hopefully, we'll still have some depth in December and January. And maybe eventually Marquise will make nine.

Journeymen is a little harsh, IMO. Those guys made a lot of plays last year, until the depth got gutted by an injury and an academic casualty in the bowl game. Right now, it appears that we have eight guys whom the staff feels like they can count on in specific circumstances. Hopefully, we'll still have some depth in December and January. And maybe eventually Marquise will make nine.

I think the journeyman isn't a bad description. I don't think that when those two are gone that Sooner fans are going to be using them as examples of the great sooner players at their positions. I like Dimon and think he is a good player, but he sure isn't a great player. I like his attitude and the way he does use his talent. He just isn't a dominant player at his position. Romar, has played really good at times and is a good player as well. Another one in the same mold is Wade. Wade has been a very good and reliable player. Again, he has never been able to earn the starting job without injuries to other players.

Here is the thing. Teams need guys like Dimon, Romar and Wade as they are good kids who are good examples for other players to follow. They have made really good contributions to the team, but they aren't great players. I kind of think that Dimon would have been a better player had OU stuck to the four man front. His body is more to the liking of the DEs OU played when Mike and Bob first got to OU. I think Matt would have been more productive in a 4 - 3 as opposed to a 3-4. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: JConXtsy
Dimon has been in the rotation since his freshman year and started at least one game each year. That is hardly the state of a journeyman. It is the thankless job of those guys to occupy blockers.

Doing that well for a team who makes the final four is way above the status of journeyman. Maybe especially for the nose tackle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT