ADVERTISEMENT

Great article by Dennis Dodd on cbssports.com on Stoops and OU....

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
Dodd mentions:
How Stoops rebuilt his coaching staff to re-energize recruiting and team direction, both of which seemed to be in a free fall. Stoops hired Lincoln Riley to be offensive coordinator after researching the top 15 teams in total offense and noting that 6 of the top 13 OC's were Hal Mumme disciples as was Mike Leach, Stoops' first OC. Stoops said, "We are the ones that made the Air Raid offense popular and I'm the only one not using it".
How the SAE incident unified the team and its coaches like never before.
How Mayfield's unexpected arrival impacted play both offensively and defensively. He is unquestionably the face of the 2015 Sooners. So goes Mayfield, so goes the team.
Dodd mentions how the team was left for dead after its loss to Texas, which if anyone here watched that game, that was hard to dispute.

My own observations are: that 2014 was a much needed wake up call for Stoops and he responded well, regardless of the many concerns expressed in the media and the social media (which for the most part had validity)....that Mayfield's presence may have impacted how future quarterbacks will be recruited, using Mayfield as the "template"....that the Texas loss may turn out to be the "best" defeat in OU's history, when considering how much the team learned from it....that Mike Stoops' coaching from the press box seemingly has improved his ability to orchestrate the defense and to give him a better view of opposing offenses.....that a very good recruiting class may be coming in in February, especially if OU takes care of business.

Great post CT. I looked up the article and here is the link,

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...gized-oklahoma-has-sooners-on-cusp-of-playoff

The guy hits alot of great points. Most of all, is Bob obviously taking a step back (the last few seasons really) land seeing he needed to make changes to change the direction of the program.

I was also surprised by the comment from Baker's father when saying the OU coaches "were unimpressed" with Baker when they had visited him during high school.

But the Texas loss really did do wonders for this team. For players AND coaches. I recall hearing about Shepard saying the players got together and had a meeting with the coaches where they pretty much told the coaches they wanted them to push them harder and more grueling practices. That really speaks volumes about the character and motivation of this team. Looking back at that Texas game, and it's hard to imagine it's the same team. It's incredible how much difference this team has made since then.

But yes, this season Bob has proven he is still the man. He has reignited some fire and energy into the program and it's primed to make another big time run I believe.

Reactions: Oklabama
To be honest, I'm "unimpressed" when I watch Baker playing too. He doesn't run fluidly. He holds the ball too long. His throws aren't impressive. But somehow, he gets it done. He's unimpressively amazing.

We had a guy much like Baker albeit a little less mobile back in 2000.

JCon, ya he is one of those kids that just has it between the ears. Kinda like Heupel in that he didn't get any real interest from big time programs coming out if high school and ended up at Snow JC. But both just have that knack for winning and making plays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT