ADVERTISEMENT

Google is not my friend. What is the meaning of the term "Directional School"?

Section22Sooner

Sooner starter
Dec 8, 2002
This question came to mind when someone posted that the Sooners will be playing Florida Atlantic in football. I was going to say something like, "Those Florida directional schools can be tough". But when I looked up the term, there is a debate as to exactly what it means (Directional School). I always thought it meant the secondary schools below the state universities. Other say it has to do with a point on the compass in the school name. So, is Florida Atlantic a directional school?

Reactions: Plainosooner
It's your run of the mill generic brand schools, usually with N/E/S/W, or any combo of such in their name. Body of water, though not technically a direction, certainly qualifies as a directional school. In fact, other than Northwestern, can someone come up with a respectable directional school?

BTW, if a direction is part of the state name, e.g. North Carlina, it is not a directional school. However, SE North Carolina, if such school actually exits, is absolutely a directional school.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Section22Sooner
University of Southern California Trojans may be the lone exception...

The committee has just called an emergency meeting to review this case.

Southern Miss. has had some pretty good teams over the years but nothing too special. Northern Iowa has churned out some pretty solid basketball teams over recent years as well but yeah I really can't come up with many more besides the obvious USC and maybe SMU prior to the death penalty.

This question came to mind when someone posted that the Sooners will be playing Florida Atlantic in football. I was going to say something like, "Those Florida directional schools can be tough". But when I looked up the term, there is a debate as to exactly what it means (Directional School). I always thought it meant the secondary schools below the state universities. Other say it has to do with a point on the compass in the school name. So, is Florida Atlantic a directional school?

You are correct. It was intended to refer to those schools, not in FBS, with directional words/phrases. Oklahoma has a lot of them such as Southeastern Oklahoma, Southwestern Oklahoma etc. There are quite a few FBS schools such as North and South Carolina, ECU, Northwestern, USC. There are 15 FBS schools that fit the description of directional schools..

When I think of directional schools as it relates to college football, I either think of about four schools in Louisiana, a couple in Texas or Bob's favorite school to ridicule: East Popcorn State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT