ADVERTISEMENT

good read from espn

soonerfastnloud

Sooner starter
Jan 1, 2015
Which team would you least want to meet on a neutral field?

Katz: The case can be made that Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State are the most dangerous teams in the country, but given the way that Oklahoma has played since its loss to Texas, the Sooners are the team I would least want to meet on a neutral field. The Sooners are complete -- they rank eighth in offensive efficiency and sixth in defensive efficiency. Clemson is the only other team in the top 10 on both sides of the ball. Oklahoma has an efficient quarterback and a strong running game, so unlike Alabama, which relies heavily on its run game, Oklahoma can beat teams in a variety of ways. Alabama undoubtedly has a stronger defense, but the Sooners' defense is underrated and can get after opposing quarterbacks (36 sacks). Clemson and Alabama are definitely strong choices for this question, but given that Oklahoma has won its past five games by an average margin of more than 38 points, the Sooners are a team to avoid.

i

Baker Mayfield threw or 270 yards and ran for another 76 in a win over Baylor last week. Jerome Miron/USA TODAY Sports

Katz: The case can be made that Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State are the most dangerous teams in the country, but given the way that Oklahoma has played since its loss to Texas, the Sooners are the team I would least want to meet on a neutral field. The Sooners are complete -- they rank eighth in offensive efficiency and sixth in defensive efficiency. Clemson is the only other team in the top 10 on both sides of the ball. Oklahoma has an efficient quarterback and a strong running game, so unlike Alabama, which relies heavily on its run game, Oklahoma can beat teams in a variety of ways. Alabama undoubtedly has a stronger defense, but the Sooners' defense is underrated and can get after opposing quarterbacks (36 sacks). Clemson and Alabama are definitely strong choices for this question, but given that Oklahoma has won its past five games by an average margin of more than 38 points, the Sooners are a team to avoid.

i

Baker Mayfield threw or 270 yards and ran for another 76 in a win over Baylor last week. Jerome Miron/USA TODAY Sports

Would guess Katz missed the memo on NOT straying off the "Love the SEC" script. ;) He's right though.

Reactions: fortworth4ou2
You all missed the "Alabama undoubtedly has a stronger defense." I don't know. I could cast some doubt.

i

This is the type of press that we will see if and only if our Sooners continue to win against the teams they play. It won't go ignored. As I stated a couple of weeks ago, when the Baker Mayfield's two time walk-on story is discussed ad-nausem, it will be difficult to ignore OU as a credible Top 4 team.

The team just needs to stay focused on the game in front of them and win.

Agree, the better he plays, the more coverage he gets.........the more they will want us in. Win, win, and think positive, with a little help along the way.

How many QBS from the SEC would start at Tech, Baylor, TCU, OSU, or OU? The only I can think of is the Mississippi QB Kelly. The QB play in the SEC is terrible.

..............................................................National Rank..........Value
Offense
Total Offense...................................................6.....................545
Rushing Offense.............................................26.....................214
Passing Offense..............................................15.....................331
Team Passing Efficiency.....................................2....................182.67
Scoring Offense................................................3......................46
3rd Down Conversion Percentage......................19........................0.46
4th Down Conversion Percentage......................56........................0.538
Red Zone Offense...........................................33........................0.879
First Downs Offense..........................................6.....................278

Defense
Total Defense.................................................21.....................336
Rushing Defense.............................................45.....................149
Passing Yards Allowed.....................................24.....................186
Team Passing Efficiency Defense.......................12.....................104.68
Scoring Defense...........................................T-24......................19
3rd Down Conversion Percentage Defense...........83.......................0.407
4th Down Conversion Percentage Defense........T-26.......................0.400
Red Zone Defense............................................33.......................0.788
First Downs Defense......................................T-55....................197

Assorted Stats
Turnover Margin...........................................T-29.........................0.5
Net Punting.......................................................3......................42
Punt Returns................................................T-64........................8
Kickoff Returns...............................................104......................18
Fewest Penalties Per Game.............................T-66........................6
Fewest Penalty Yards Per Game.........................88.......................61
Time of Possession...........................................52.......................30:49

The beginning of the REAL season has started. And I'd say that was a pretty successful endeavor. We've all said those first nine games just gave us the right to play these last three as meaningful games, and that's where we are.

The offense is just cranking along, as apparently ALL Big Twelve teams do, according to the talking heads. So that's no surprise. But if you believe the Big Twelve is an offense-only conference, and our defense is still in the top 25 in almost all the meaningful defensive categories, then we must have one of the elite defenses in the nation. We've played three of the top nine offenses in the nation, and yet we're still inside the top 25 defenses in both total defense and scoring defense. Shouldn't that number be higher if our conference can only play offense? Good thing we're not in a more balanced conference, say, the Big Ten, where Iowa has played the number one Big Ten offense in Indiana, who is currently underappreciated at #27 in Total Offense nationally.

Anyhoo, I think we've probably kind of leveled off statistically. I'd be surprised if we rise or fall much in the next two weeks. So we've probably got a good idea of who we are. And I think most would say we've far surpassed most of our expectations in just about every area for this team.

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
I agree that QB play in the SEC is not good. The reason SEC's defensive numbers are as good as they are is because most of the teams in the SEC bleed the play clock.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT