ADVERTISEMENT

Garrett Riley, OC

Scottsdale.Sooner

Sooner starter
Jan 2, 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona (most of the time)
This guy is making a name for himself. Is he the best OC in CFB today? Would the Sooners consider him an option to Lebby? Lebby is a shit show right now. His play selection last night was flat out terrible. He hung DG out to dry on the first plat of OT. Why does this guy scored big in the passing game and then gear down to a piss poor run game? Our D is a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde story. Where do we go from here?

This guy is making a name for himself. Is he the best OC in CFB today? Would the Sooners consider him an option to Lebby? Lebby is a shit show right now. His play selection last night was flat out terrible. He hung DG out to dry on the first plat of OT. Why does this guy scored big in the passing game and then gear down to a piss poor run game? Our D is a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde story. Where do we go from here?
TCU had much better skill players, and likely was at least as good in the OLine. I know their backup quarterback was way better than ours.

Scottsdale, are you hearing anything from your OU connections about Lebby or others? If so, please share if you can. Thanks.

Reactions: iasooner2000
This guy is making a name for himself. Is he the best OC in CFB today? Would the Sooners consider him an option to Lebby? Lebby is a shit show right now. His play selection last night was flat out terrible. He hung DG out to dry on the first plat of OT. Why does this guy scored big in the passing game and then gear down to a piss poor run game? Our D is a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde story. Where do

Scottsdale, are you hearing anything from your OU connections about Lebby or others? If so, please share if you can. Thanks.
Lebby needs help, he needs an experienced wr coach that can help him game plan. Gundy served his time, bring him back. I know that won't happen but please go get Malcom Kelly

Lebby needs help, he needs an experienced wr coach that can help him game plan. Gundy served his time, bring him back. I know that won't happen but please go get Malcom Kelly
It is just "after the fact" rumor but I heard the Gundy issue is much deeper than the incident sighted for his release. Again, nothing but rumor but I heard that Gundy burnt some bridges when BV put his coaching staff choices forward. Gundy wanted the OC job.

It is just "after the fact" rumor but I heard the Gundy issue is much deeper than the incident sighted for his release. Again, nothing but rumor but I heard that Gundy burnt some bridges when BV put his coaching staff choices forward. Gundy wanted the OC job.
It was rumored that he and Lebby didn't see eye to eye on a few things and Lebby wanted him gone as well.

Thanks. Not surprising.

Roof is the only guy I could see being either cut loose or demoted. Brent needs a guy that's going to call his defense the way he would and that is with an attack mindset and do not let offenses come at us while we play to keep everything in front of us. It doesn't work in today's game. The name of the game is disrupting the play, getting tackles for loss, sacks and turnovers. You have to trust your guys and take the risks. Get the offense off schedule on first down then you can force them to try and pick up long conversions.

Reactions: Oklabama
Roof is the only guy I could see being either cut loose or demoted. Brent needs a guy that's going to call his defense the way he would and that is with an attack mindset and do not let offenses come at us while we play to keep everything in front of us. It doesn't work in today's game. The name of the game is disrupting the play, getting tackles for loss, sacks and turnovers. You have to trust your guys and take the risks. Get the offense off schedule on first down then you can force them to try and pick up long conversions.
No doubt about it brother but I ain't ready to throw in the towel on Roof or any of OUr coaches just yet. Imo. 👍

Reactions: ranxfromindy
No doubt about it brother but I ain't ready to throw in the towel on Roof or any of OUr coaches just yet. Imo. 👍

Roof has had his chances and they weren't good. I'm not saying he's got to go but he's not above having play calling duties taken from him. His experience can be good but he's got to get what Venables is after.

Roof has had his chances and they weren't good. I'm not saying he's got to go but he's not above having play calling duties taken from him. His experience can be good but he's got to get what Venables is after.
Year one with this regime was disappointing. But, I see brighter skies ahead. As surprised as I was with this impressive offense, I have no doubt OUr defense will kick in under Brent. His nature you know. The loss of Cale was a huge loss imo. We'll be fine.

Year one with this regime was disappointing. But, I see brighter skies ahead. As surprised as I was with this impressive offense, I have no doubt OUr defense will kick in under Brent. His nature you know. The loss of Cale was a huge loss imo. We'll be fine.

I still think so too but there is no denying that this staff as a whole left a lot to be desired and got outcoached or outcoached themselves multiple times this season.

Dykes and Kleinman look like they are a class above and it's not a coincidence they are playing for the conference title.

A lot can be said of this season but those here still trying to sell this as a talent issue need to take a seat. Excuse making won't get this program anywhere so I hope those that matter aren't selling that excuse to themselves.

I still think so too but there is no denying that this staff as a whole left a lot to be desired and got outcoached or outcoached themselves multiple times this season.

Dykes and Kleinman look like they are a class above and it's not a coincidence they are playing for the conference title.

A lot can be said of this season but those here still trying to sell this as a talent issue need to take a seat. Excuse making won't get this program anywhere so I hope those that matter aren't selling that excuse to themselves.
I wholeheartedly agree but in my opinion, NIL kinda fvcked things up especially with recruiting and transfers. Only time will tell and my patience is gittin thin along with everyone else's.

We scored 48 points last night so I hardly think it was the OC's fault. I'm much more worried about our horrendous defense that continues to stink it up year after year.

The biggest Lebby wort for me: before the Tech game OU was 108th in the country in 4th down conversions, so what basic intel is BV looking at besides listening to Lebby? But that call is his, not Lebby's. Why did we unnecessarily do it twice, especially the first time when we're up 14-0, makes me question BV's football smarts as a HC. Add the 0-2 on 4th downs from the Tech game and OU has to be bottom of the barrel now. Updated: OU is now 117th in the country on 4th down attempts -

But figuring out how to convert 4thj downs is all on Lebby and he has got to figure the short game out (when in fact its 4th and short - not holding end of the game desperation 4th and long attempts against him).

Reactions: BB300
Going for it on 4th down is usually the head coaches decision. BV needs to learn to take the points if you have the lead. BV played odds when going for it, he's looking at national numbers can't be looking at our numbers, if he was he would kick/punt every time.

With Wisconsin hiring Luke Fickell, likelihood dc Leonhart stays on board. He and Venables have very similar styles of defense.

We scored 48 points last night so I hardly think it was the OC's fault. I'm much more worried about our horrendous defense that continues to stink it up year after year.
Agree.
Too many OU fans are taking their eye off the ball about the issues this team has, which is mostly about the Ivy League caliber defenses this team puts out year after year.
And looking a next year, OU will lose players like Harrison, Willis, and perhaps Gabriel, Gray and Turk, with no elite players returning on defense.
I think OU will have another year of 4-5 losses, but I have to believe there will be some degree of improvement as new players arrive, the 2022 class matures and the coaching staff gets a better handle on personnel and having lessons learned (hey, I can dream, can't I?) from this dreadful 2022 season.
OU starts 2023 with 3 home games: Arkansas State, SMU, Tulsa. These SHOULD be wins for OU but probably won't offer any clue on how much improvement there will be, as it was for the first 3 games of this season.
Home games afterwards are TCU, Iowa State, West Virginia, and Texas Tech.
Road games are Texas, Kansas, K-State, Baylor, and OSU.
I see every conference game as being dangerous unlike any season before.
It's my realistic hope that by midseason, OU will be showing significant improvement and will succeed in assembling a good receiving and running back corps, offensive line, and especially a decent defense.... and I hope Gabriel stays to give Arnold time to mature and to have quality depth to the QB position.
This month of December may tell a lot about Venables' rebuilding effort as recruits will be coming (and maybe going), transfers (hopefully not "table scraps") will come in and perhaps fine tuning for the coaching staff.

The simple truth that many are overlooking is that Lebby had opportunities to put more points on the board than 48 and failed. Lebby shares some fault in this loss. If the defense is allowing too many points then the objective is to score more than the opposition. It is a team sport. Saying that Lebby did his part falls well short of the "team sport" concept.

The simple truth that many are overlooking is that Lebby had opportunities to put more points on the board than 48 and failed. Lebby shares some fault in this loss. If the defense is allowing too many points then the objective is to score more than the opposition. It is a team sport. Saying that Lebby did his part falls well short of the "team sport" concept.

Okay, but shouldn’t he get some consideration for the two TD’s that were called back?

Agree.
Too many OU fans are taking their eye off the ball about the issues this team has, which is mostly about the Ivy League caliber defenses this team puts out year after year.
And looking a next year, OU will lose players like Harrison, Willis, and perhaps Gabriel, Gray and Turk, with no elite players returning on defense.
I think OU will have another year of 4-5 losses, but I have to believe there will be some degree of improvement as new players arrive, the 2022 class matures and the coaching staff gets a better handle on personnel and having lessons learned (hey, I can dream, can't I?) from this dreadful 2022 season.
OU starts 2023 with 3 home games: Arkansas State, SMU, Tulsa. These SHOULD be wins for OU but probably won't offer any clue on how much improvement there will be, as it was for the first 3 games of this season.
It's my realistic hope that by midseason, OU will be showing significant improvement and will succeed in assembling a good receiving and running back corps, offensive line, and especially a decent defense.... and I hope Gabriel stays to give Arnold time to mature and to have quality depth to the QB position.
This month of December may tell a lot about Venables' rebuilding effort as recruits will be coming (and maybe going), transfers (hopefully not "table scraps") will come in and perhaps fine tuning for the coaching staff.
I may be wrong but doesnt UCF, Htn, Cin, and BYU enter the B12 next season? I was under the impression they were and no conf schedule has been put out yet.

Agree.
I thought they hadn't figured out the schedule for next season due to the new teams joining?

Do you think so? What consideration would you think is appropriate? If TDs are called back it is due to the fault of the offense. That is part of the offensive production! Penalties count!
Well, for Lebby’s sake I hope we don’t lose our bowl game 86-84 on a missed FG. I call calf rope.

Reactions: CTOkie

Thats because both have been HC s before. Nebu got a good HC, but if they had hired Kleinman away ftom KSU, they would be on their way back to the NEB U tough teams of the 90's. WS

Think somewhere on this thread Rashaad Samples was mentioned as a possible WR coach. He would have been a great hire with his connections to DFW area, his dad being head coach of Duncanville and all. Samples was hired by the Dillingham to coach wr at Arizona St. ASU also hired the TCU recruiting coordinator to coach DB's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT