ADVERTISEMENT

Game Day weather

Hey KC - predicting weather a little closer to home!

So any winter predictions of snow fall in Mid-Missouri this year? We have had a bit of a drought but I feel a big winter coming....

RAS

Well the overall winter pattern will fluctuate a bunch...Polar/Arctic air plunges into MO from Iowa...moisture return should be somewhat limited for big snows. Will have to watch out for freezing rain once the coldest air masses retreat...LaNina patterns are not known for big excitement in Plains to Miss Valley. This unless a Pacific storm manages to dig further west. Not a common thing though in NW flow patterns. Could be snowy for IL and IN later in winter.

Well the overall winter pattern will fluctuate a bunch...Polar/Arctic air plunges into MO from Iowa...moisture return should be somewhat limited for big snows. Will have to watch out for freezing rain once the coldest air masses retreat...LaNina patterns are not known for big excitement in Plains to Miss Valley. This unless a Pacific storm manages to dig further west. Not a common thing though in NW flow patterns. Could be snowy for IL and IN later in winter.

Spoken like a meteorologist! Thanks KC.

RAS

Reactions: OUSOONER67
I'd take 4' of snow throughout the winter to avoid
(a) an inch or more of ice that lasts forever up here andux
(b) more than a week of temps in the zero to -25 actual range

It sucks when it has to 'warm up' to get snowfall...

Sometimes it gets too cold and dry under those intense winter high pressure domes. Then things get interesting when they move off to east. This could be one of those winters for Iowa.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Actual meteorologist here... And I'm rather into the persistence forecasting model for long-term predictions... Hence I think it's going to be mostly warmer than normal with a few cold spells in the middle of the country. (Still could be cold and wintry in the NE US though). Less than normal snowfall for OK/TX. Out in AZ it's looking like a very dry, warm winter - good for my tomato plants but bad for the rest of the state...

My weather rock out back never lets me down. :D
75150_1210dc32b9a330392a749b3dd01760c8_large.jpg

We get our weather out of Sioux City Iowa, and I think they are correct 15% of the time.

The forecast models are improving as more data gets input from the data spots around the globe. Unfortunately, there are vast areas where data is just not possible. This creates the X factor where forecasts bust. Meteorology and climatology are always going to be inexact science. This unless the data points bring about more consistent and timely information. So those that blame the "weather guy" really do not know the process that brings about a forecast whether short or long term. There are different and pretty numerous weather forecast models that throw out differing forecast solutions. That information then is matched up the best it can be with trends upstream. I am sure AZ Sooner can add some further input....

Loved those old Channel 8 Tulsa commercials showing Don Woods the weatherman going into the resturant in a good day and on a wet day and the reaction of the chief who greeted him warmly or coldly depending on the weather.

I miss Gusty.

RAS

Reactions: sooners49
Loved those old Channel 8 Tulsa commercials showing Don Woods the weatherman going into the resturant in a good day and on a wet day and the reaction of the chief who greeted him warmly or coldly depending on the weather.

I miss Gusty
Not many people remember Gusty or Lionel.Aah the good old days.

Reactions: iasooner1

I miss Gusty.

RAS
Not many people remember Gusty or Lionel.Aah the good old days

Not many people remember Gusty or Lionel.Aah the good old days

Don Woods was the substitute when someone semi-famous backed out of our commencement gig for the Class of '74... Lionel, uh meh. Come to think of it, after 15 years or so Gusty also.

You remember the famous cut-away to Mack Kreiger flipping off the camera during Mannix ?

Don Woods was the substitute when someone semi-famous backed out of our commencement gig for the Class of '74... Lionel, uh meh. Come to think of it, after 15 years or so Gusty also.

You remember the famous cut-away to Mack Kreiger flipping off the camera during Mannix ?
yep ,Beth Rengel and someone else got into trouble as well.Mazeppa stomping on baby chicks.

I do remember the Kreiger incident. Weatherman are much better now. It was a crap shoot back in those days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT