ADVERTISEMENT

Fuente and Memphis...

Probably? Well, you never know where he will be when OU opens up, but then Justine may not be as hot then or interested in OU. You would think he would love to come back home, but it all depends. He is obviously doing a good job at Memphis. I bet a pretty penny he is coaching elsewhere in 2016.

Reactions: fortworth4ou2
True Oklabama....you never know he may be another coach out of the Snyder mold and wants to build his own legacy at Memphis and put that program on the map. But no doubt I'm sure he will start getting alot of interest from elite programs.

Memphis up now 31-14. Justine surely has a desire to coach in one of the major conferences. Maybe not the Big 12 though. If he does, he may get a call from KSU. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bill retire again after this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: fortworth4ou2
Didn't know this, but they mentioned Memphis has the 3rd longest winning streak in the country. Sure they don't play a schedule like a power conference, but so far today they are making a huge impression. Ole Miss is the same team that took down Alabama in Tuscaloosa a couple of weeks ago. And so far today, Fuentes has his team on a roll and manhandling Ole Miss!!

Reactions: ESPiam
Very impressive looking outstanding play from their QB...Scoring on 4 consecutive drives! Def not doing so bad either. Stopped them on 4 earlier and just got another stop for a punt. They would make a nice fit here in Big 12 country 5 hour drive for most of us.

Reactions: BillyRay
ESP, man that's not a bad idea, but what would be concerning is getting Memphis into the Big XII now while they are riding high, then what happens if Fuente leaves for another program?? Memphis more than likely would fall back down to a Kansas level basement dwelling program just leaching off the conference.

Memphis has had some tough years but last year were co champs? 10-3 I think? They have a great basketball program. Hey its probably better school for expansion than Houston. May being with a power conference would uplift their program also and give them something to build on not to mention increasing their revenue.

Ive seen more Ole Miss games growing up in Mississippi than any other NCAA program....but I just cant pull for them unless they are playing against another SEC team.

Memphis has had some tough years but last year were co champs? 10-3 I think? They have a great basketball program. Hey its probably better school for expansion than Houston. May being with a power conference would uplift their program also and give them something to build on not to mention increasing their revenue.

Fuente is the best thing that's happened to Memphis football...maybe ever. I think that programs history has been pretty much struggling to get bowl eligible each year, even when they were in Conference USA. The year before Fuente took over that program went 2-10 in 2011, and 1-11 the year before that. But I agree that getting into a power conference can do a program a ton of good in elevating it's program.

Reactions: ESPiam
Memphis is doing a great job closing this out. Butch Jones should be taking notice and learning something.

Wow...this drive by Memphis to wrap this game up is just textbook!!! I think they took over with almost 9min left in the game right?? Now they are knocking on scoring again with less than 2min left to play. What a clutch drive to close this game out.

Man...watching this Fuente coached team reminds me of those early Bob Stoops teams that played with a ton of heart and motivation.

Going into today, I really was just hoping to see Fuente's team look solid and give Ole Miss a run for their money. I really wasn't expecting to see Memphis punch Ole Miss in the mouth in the first half and ride that into a win. But really great win for Fuente!!! Great seeing an Okie Native and former Sooner come out on top in a really big game. I think it's safe to say we will be seeing and/or hearing a lot more of Fuente's name in the future.

Fuente has a great secret weapon. Former North Texas HC Darrell Dickey the son of old OU DB coach from my era, Jimmy Dickey, is the play caller. Dickey turned UNT into a four or five time conference champ when he was in Denton. But he had an unexpected heart attack as a young man and after the uncertainty caused by that, he got cut loose after those filling in for him during his recuperation, dropped the ball and the program sank quickly. He couldn't bring them back.

But he is a great college coach, and a large factor in their offensive success. Their run out the clock final drive was a thing of beauty. I doubt he'll ever get another HC job because of his heart issues, but the guy can coach. A great OC can make an HC look pretty good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT