ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Notes...

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
Alright it may not be the Scoop but we're still going to start with a visit list for the weekend.

OFFICIAL VISITS:

Jamarrien Burt - CB - Ocala (Fla.) Forrest
Gracen Halton - DL - San Diego (Calif.) St. Augustine
Ahmad Moten - DE - Ft. Lauderdale (Fla.) Cardinal Gibbons
R Mason Thomas - DT - Ft. Lauderdale (Fla.) Cardinal Gibbons
Gentry Williams - CB - Tulsa Booker T. Washington - RIVALS250 - OU COMMIT

UNOFFICIAL VISITS:

David Hicks - DE - Allen, Texas - OU OFFER - 5-STAR
Anthony Hill - LB - Denton (Texas) Ryan - OU OFFER - 5-STAR

So by now you've all seen the forecast I placed for Denton (Texas) Guyer 2023 Rivals250 quarterback Jackson Arnold.

I've had a chance to briefly speak a bit with Arnold this week and have also spoken to a bunch of well placed sources and it sounds very much like the Sooners, and notably Jeff Lebby, really impressed Arnold and have taken an impressive step in his recruitment. Could the Sooners have their quarterback done before terribly long? There are some that think so but there has also been talk that Jaden Rashada, the Rivals100 quarterback from Northern California, could be in Norman next weekend.

But right now my money is on Arnold and his relationship with Lebby.

As already covered, Gracen Halton is among the official visitors this weekend and while I had been thinking that Oregon was going to be tough to overcome some conversations this week tells me this is going to be a battle between Mario Cristobal and Brent Venables. The new head men at Miami and Oklahoma, respectively, are locked in a battle and it sounds as though Miami, not surprisingly, is the favorite in the eyes of many.

That said, Oklahoma has a chance.

"Oh yeah, he likes the track record they've got and Todd Bates is the kind of guy who can really connect with him," he said.

Just as a quick note, as people always ask, if there are two people I'm watching closely this weekend they would be R Mason Thomas and Jamarrien Burt. Thomas has a real connection with the Oklahoma staff and I've heard less of Miami's push than with his teammate, Ahmad Moten. Meanwhile, Burt is a late comer to Oklahoma's recruiting effort but he has built a good relationship with Brandon Hall and the Sooners are clearly the elite program amongst his five primary options.

I'd bet there are no commitments this weekend but I'm just saying, don't let yourself be surprised.

OK, it’s time for Josh’s latest crack at the class of 2022. For those unfamiliar every year on the first Friday of each month, I (Josh) invade Scoop’s personal space and take my guesses at just what players could fill out the remaining spots in Oklahoma’s currently ongoing recruiting class.

Right now Oklahoma has 73 players on scholarship, under the guidelines of this year’s unique scholarship breakdown. On top of that the Sooners have seven signees and one commitment for 2022.

I think we can all see there are going to be more departures departures either via NFL draft, transfer, or any of 1,000 other reasons than ever before. While four used to be our working assumption, let's assume seven in any given year and that may be subject to more and more change going forward. That said, Oklahoma shouldn't have many departures remaining at this point.

Which would mean that Oklahoma could have six more openings before the start of the season with additions expected from both the class of 2022 as well as the transfer portal. With that in mind, along with other bits of information with where the new staff plans to go, Scoop and I are working under the thought of the Sooners signing somewhere around 22 total in the 2022 class so I’ll plan accordingly.

The number always Is tricky to guess but In this era, thanks to the ‘Covid year’ allowance, and a late coaching change it’s been nearly impossible. It has moved up and down throughout the year and that may continue even next month when we go to weekly predictions. So, thanks to my mathematical education it would seem the Sooners have a near unreachable number of spots available

Additionally, a level of confidence will be listed with each of the selections and finally a prediction of who will be the next Sooner pledge. Finally the numbers next to each position are how many I expect OU to sign at each position - though that's still a work in progress with the portal and the staff still sorting itself out.

Now you can guarantee this list won’t be what it looks like next month as Oklahoma is still offering players they didn't know of just a few weeks ago so how could I know their level of interest?

And, yes my excuses have already begun…

Players on Last Month’s List Who Aren’t There This Week: Gavin Freeman

Players I Got Right Last Week
:

Players I Got Wrong Last Week:

Quarterback (1)

Nick EversSIGNED

Running Back (2)

Jovantae BarnesSIGNED

Gavin SawchukSIGNED

Wide Receiver (2)

Nicholas AndersonSIGNED

Jayden GibsonSIGNED

Tight End/Hback (2)

Kaden Helms - SIGNED

Jason Llewellyn - SIGNED

Offensive Line (2)

Jacob SextonSIGNED

Jake Taylor - SIGNED

Defensive Tackle (3)

Ahmad MotenLevel of Confidence: 40%

Moten felt like a near certainty a few weeks ago but not surprisingly Miami is making a run at him and will host he and his teammate, R Mason Thomas, on the final weekend before signing day. As such the Sooners will have plenty of work to do to hold off the hometown team.

Cedric RobertsSIGNED

Alton Tarber
- SIGNED

Defensive End (2)

Kevonte Henry - Level of Confidence: 65% - NEXT COMMIT

Henry feels like one of the safer bets remaining among Oklahoma's possibilities. The Florida visit looms but it feels like his connection to Oklahoma is strong and going to play a big role here.

R Mason Thomas
Level of Confidence: 50%

The story here is not so different from Moten though in Thomas' case he has a bit of an added benefit of already developing a relationship with his would-be position coach, Miguel Chavis. The Sooners have done a very good job with Thomas and the bond is real, that should hold up.

Linebacker (3)

Jaren Kanak
ENROLLED

Kip Lewis - SIGNED

Kobie McKinzieSIGNED

Cornerback (2)

Jamarrien Burt - Level of Confidence: 35%

Oklahoma has made a surprising run at Burt here and while many had thought that Oklahoma might have filled it's allotment of defensive backs in the transfer portal they seem ready to take another. Burt is a tremendously talented guy who has the size and toughness to play safety if that is where the Sooners see the best eventual fit.

Gentry WilliamsCOMMITTED

Safety (2)

Jayden RoweSIGNED

Robert Spears-JenningsSIGNED

Athlete (0)

N/A

Special Teams (0)

N/A

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series