ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Notes...

Josh_M

Hall of Fame Poster
Jul 18, 2001
A High School Football Field Somewhere
As ever in January, tough to do many Scoops because the news simply goes too fast - as you've seen the multiple notes threads, as well as WOKE this week. But still there are some bits and pieces to cover before I get into my weekly commitment predictions.

Most notably?

I've caught some wind of Oklahoma's first junior day of the Brent Venables era and it's just three weeks away.

Oklahoma's first junior day will come on Jan. 29.

Though right now there aren't many clear names that have been invited - that will come as we start searching around - it's my impression that Venables will follow the pattern we talked about recently when discussing how Clemson handled such scenarios. And that was always a big junior day weekend in January that was marked by almost exclusively offers (somewhere around 20-30 total visitors) that would often be a big kickstart to the Tigers efforts.

We'll see what Oklahoma can make out of this early visit weekend but it's pretty clear a plan is coming into place with OU finally having some time to breath and lay down their groundwork.

In the transfer portal the Sooners kept doing work last night with Miguel Chavis landing a commitment from an intriguing, and well-suited, defensive lineman Jonah Laulu. But he isn't the only one the Sooners are continuing to investigate and see who they might have interest in. As we discussed Wednesday night one of those players is James Madison wide receiver Antwane Wells.

Wells spoke with Cale Gundy on Thursday and says the Sooners were honest with him, the former high school teammate of Kelvin Gilliam and Damond Harmon, about the situation and their numbers.

"I talked to him and they are waiting for a few things before they pull the trigger," Wells said of an offer.

OK, it’s time for Josh’s latest crack at the class of 2022. For those unfamiliar every year on the first Friday of each month, I (Josh) invade Scoop’s personal space and take my guesses at just what players could fill out the remaining spots in Oklahoma’s currently ongoing recruiting class.

Right now Oklahoma has 65 players on scholarship, under the guidelines of this year’s unique scholarship breakdown. On top of that the Sooners have 17 commitments for 2022 and has 11 seniors who would normally be expected to leave.

I think we can all see there are going to be more departures departures either via NFL draft, transfer, or any of 1,000 other reasons than ever before. While four used to be our working assumption, let's assume seven in any given year and that may be subject to more and more change going forward. That said, Oklahoma shouldn't have many departures remaining at this point.

Which would mean that Oklahoma could have as many as 14 more openings before the start of the season with additions expected from both the class of 2022 as well as the transfer portal. With that in mind, along with other bits of information with where the new staff plans to go, Scoop and I are working under the thought of the Sooners signing somewhere around 22 total in the 2022 class so I’ll plan accordingly.

The number always Is tricky to guess but In this era, thanks to the ‘Covid year’ allowance, and a late coaching change it’s been nearly impossible. It has moved up and down throughout the year and that may continue even next month when we go to weekly predictions. So, thanks to my mathematical education it would seem the Sooners have a near unreachable number of spots available

Additionally, a level of confidence will be listed with each of the selections and finally a prediction of who will be the next Sooner pledge. Finally the numbers next to each position are how many I expect OU to sign at each position - though that's still a work in progress with the portal and the staff still sorting itself out.

Now you can guarantee this list won’t be what it looks like in February as Oklahoma is still offering players they didn't know of just a few weeks ago so how could I know their level of interest?

And, yes my excuses have already begun…

Players on Last Month’s List Who Aren’t There This Week:

Players I Got Right Last Week
: Jovantae Barnes, Jaren Kanak

Players I Got Wrong Last Week:

Quarterback (1)

Nick EversSIGNED

Running Back (2)

Jovantae BarnesSIGNED

Gavin SawchukSIGNED

Wide Receiver (3)

Nicholas AndersonSIGNED

Gavin Freeman - Level of Confidence: 40%

So this one is a bit of a flier but I just can't help thinking of what a fit he is for the duo of primary decision makers here - Brent Venables and Cale Gundy. I mean talk about a player whose attitude, demeanor, and general toughness fits beautifully? It's Freeman.

Jayden GibsonSIGNED

Tight End/Hback (2)

Kaden Helms - SIGNED

Jason Llewellyn - SIGNED

Offensive Line (3)

Jacob SextonSIGNED

Jake Taylor - SIGNED

Defensive Tackle (2)

Ahmad MotenLevel of Confidence: 45%

At this moment Moten feels like a near certainty for the Sooners but there's just no denying the draw of the 'U' under Mario Cristobal and there's a real chance that the Hurricanes make Moten a focal idea of starting to close up the ranks in the city in Cristobal's first class. We'll see where it goes but as of right now Oklahoma has done a great job with Moten.

Cedric RobertsSIGNED

Alton Tarber
- SIGNED

Defensive End (2)

R Mason Thomas
Level of Confidence: 50% - NEXT COMMIT

The story here is not so different from Moten though in Thomas' case he has a bit of an added benefit of already developing a relationship with his would-be position coach, Miguel Chavis. The Sooners have done a very good job with Thomas and the bond is real, that should hold up.

Linebacker (3)

Jaren Kanak
COMMITTED

Kip Lewis - SIGNED

Kobie McKinzieSIGNED

Cornerback (2)

Jahlil Florence - Level of Confidence: 30%

This one is another gamble as Florence has a real connection with Oregon as well as having a proximity to USC. That being said, of all the programs pursuing him Oklahoma seems on the steadiest ground. We'll see what happens but there is definitely some belief that the Sooners are making a move.

Gentry WilliamsCOMMITTED

Safety (2)

Jayden RoweSIGNED

Robert Spears-JenningsSIGNED

Athlete (0)

N/A

Special Teams (0)

N/A

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards