ADVERTISEMENT

FPI Ratings - Week #9

KCtornado

OU scholarship offer
Jul 18, 2006
Overland Park KS
Got to say....Big 12 is KING at this point. Pokes probably not too far off the chart either. Odd to see USC in there...got to say. Ahead of Clemson...wtf ?

ESPN Football Performance Index Top 10
1. Baylor — 26.7
2. Oklahoma — 24.6
3. TCU — 24.0
4. Ohio State — 23.7
5. USC — 22.8
6. Alabama — 22.6
7. LSU — 22.2
8. Clemson — 22.0
9. Notre Dame — 21.6
10. Ole MIss — 20.7

Got to say....Big 12 is KING at this point. Pokes probably not too far off the chart either. Odd to see USC in there...got to say. Ahead of Clemson...wtf ?

ESPN Football Performance Index Top 10
Baylor — 26.7
2. Oklahoma — 24.6
3. TCU — 24.0
4. Ohio State — 23.7
5. USC — 22.8
6. Alabama — 22.6
7. LSU — 22.2
8. Clemson — 22.0
9. Notre Dame — 21.6
10. Ole MIss — 20.7

Do you have any idea what the "Performance Index" is based on? How do they come to the number ratings? It can't be strength of schedule with Baylor #1.

Do you have any idea what the "Performance Index" is based on? How do they come to the number ratings? It can't be strength of schedule with Baylor #1.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

ESPN Football Power Index - 2015
The Football Power Index (FPI) is a measure of team strength that is meant to be the best predictor of a team's performance going forward for the rest of the season. FPI represents how many points above or below average a team is. Projected results are based on 10,000 simulations of the rest of the season using FPI, results to date, and the remaining schedule. Ratings and projections update daily.

Umm....I'm not so sure how legit this kind of ranking is with USC in the top 5. USC has 3 friggen losses. I mean for the love of god, USC is ranked ahead of Notre Dame (6-1), which just beat USC a couple of weeks ago. I mean it's neat that OU is up there like that, but for me, the USC thing just takes away from any legitimacy that ranking may have had.

Thanks YCN for the likes and, more importantly for coming back to give us your unique perspective.

Now if someone can find and encourage SIT (SoonerInTexas) to come back...
(I'm still trolling Senior for some pics of her & her Couger girlfriends!)

I have a hunch that the reason the Big occupies to top 3 FPI rankings has a lot to do with the fact that those teams don't have a conference championship game. Other than those teams and the Domers, everyone in their top 10 could play in a conference championship game. FPI considers all possible games for each, rather than actual games played. Of course, those two scenarios match up for everyone after all the conference championship games have concluded.

Umm....I'm not so sure how legit this kind of ranking is with USC in the top 5. USC has 3 friggen losses. I mean for the love of god, USC is ranked ahead of Notre Dame (6-1), which just beat USC a couple of weeks ago. I mean it's neat that OU is up there like that, but for me, the USC thing just takes away from any legitimacy that ranking may have had.

+1

I have a hunch that the reason the Big occupies to top 3 FPI rankings has a lot to do with the fact that those teams don't have a conference championship game. Other than those teams and the Domers, everyone in their top 10 could play in a conference championship game. FPI considers all possible games for each, rather than actual games played. Of course, those two scenarios match up for everyone after all the conference championship games have concluded.
If that's true, then they're also still calculating in the potential for the bottom tier teams that still aren't mathematically eliminated from conference championship games, which makes those FPI numbers a little lower for the top guys. As those bottom tier teams become mathematically eliminated from being able to reach their conference championship games, the higher ranked teams will continue to drop some because of their opponent in the conference championship game will have to be a higher quality team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT