ADVERTISEMENT

Former Sooner David Dillingham - UPDATE in OP

Soxman of the Americas

Sooner starter
Gold Member
I always feel weird about sharing this kind of news in any way - somehow it feels disrespectful and like an invasion of privacy - but I figured some of you all may remember and/or know him and would want to know.

Former Sooner OL (80-84) David Dillingham is battling very late stage cancer. He is my Uncle by marriage. He was an offensive lineman (Jenks) and I found some short articles about his time with the team. His freshman year, 1980, the team won the Big 8 and beat FSU in the Orange Bowl. He would've played with Marcus Dupree, as he was on the team that lost to ASU in the Sun Bowl (Sooner stats says he had 2 SO seasons, which I think is because he had knee surgery one year). His senior year he was on the 1984 Big 8 championship winning team that lost to Washington in the Orange Bowl (when the Schooner got stuck in the grass on the field).

His parents are big OSU fans so I've enjoyed hearing their stories about Switzer doing his in-homes (his brother also played bball at OU). Obviously there is a lot more to his life outside of his time as a Sooner, but thought you all would want to hear. If you are the praying type please consider praying for his family.

UPDATE: Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this post and/or kept my Uncle and his family in your thoughts.

I wanted to post the obituary in case anyone wanted to read it.

One story that came out of this that I wanted share with you all - someone (not from scoop) told Coach Switzer that David was doing poorly, and he called and spoke with him for about 20 minutes. I know that at that point, my Uncle was having a hard time speaking, but didn't have any issue at all answering ("Hey Coach") and speaking with Coach Switzer. I believe Merv Johnson also called and spoke to him (his OL coach while he played).

Thanks for letting me pass along this info. For some reason it makes me feel better knowing that this OU ish is real. If you read the obituary and it sparks a memory by all means post it. I've passed some of the messages that you all have shared with the family and they've been really appreciated.

Onward -

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News