ADVERTISEMENT

"Embrace hate" .....the new battle cry of Texas....

CTOkie

Sooner starter
Sep 20, 2001
Portland Ct.
Coach Sarkisian has declared his team takes a "John Wick mentality" as the Horns enter their last year in the Big 12.
If I were in Sarkisian's place, I might try the same type of psychology, given the state of the UT program in recent years.
But I believe that Venables has a different philosophy with the OU football program and that is simply to restore OU to being championship worthy without such measures as Sarkisian employs or other bullsh't declarations.
2022 should likely be OU's battle cry as Venables had a roster and recruiting effort poached by Riley, the absence of OU's 4 best defenders from 2021, and a team still mired in the Texas Tech culture of arena football.
Players on the OU roster and those being recruited know already what playing for OU is all about, minus any so-called "battle cry". They know there is a target on their backs in playing the Big 12 exit season. They know, most importantly, that it's all about transitioning and focusing on resurrecting a sleeping giant.
Any revenge motive and "we're back" rhetoric doesn't mean success. And I really believe Venables knows this.
2022 with its 6-7 record, in my opinion, was a wake-up call for OU....and in the long run, it probably is the best thing that could happen regardless of the unwarranted criticism of Venables by those who were not looking at the whole story of what Venables inherited and how he was recruiting incredibly well through the upheaval.

I get what Sark is doing and I see nothing wrong with it. That's what head coaches do -- motivate the team. The fact that "Embrace the Hate" has triggered so many makes it even better. People are so soft. The one thing Sark is forgetting... he is also giving motivation to every team on their schedule.

That said, I much prefer the approach Venables is taking. Let's let the win/loss column do the talking.

horns-hooked.gif

I get what Sark is doing and I see nothing wrong with it. That's what head coaches do -- motivate the team. The fact that "Embrace the Hate" has triggered so many makes it even better. People are so soft. The one thing Sark is forgetting... he is also giving motivation to every team on their schedule.

That said, I much prefer the approach Venables is taking. Let's let the win/loss column do the talking.
I'm expecting some ass kicking from OUr defense. Everything else will fall into place. 😁

Can't say I blame him. I wouldn't mind Brent letting OUr guys know that some frustrating calls or non calls are coming on OUr way out. Be ready to deal with it and move on, as well as knowing that we'll need to put teams away so as not to let any bogus shit affect the game.

Can't say I blame him. I wouldn't mind Brent letting OUr guys know that some frustrating calls or non calls are coming on OUr way out. Be ready to deal with it and move on, as well as knowing that we'll need to put teams away so as not to let any bogus shit affect the game.
Excuses are for losers. Be the Standard. I hear Arkie fans always saying the Refs screw them after every loss since they joined the SEC. Be better than that, we aint Arkie. Just my 2 pesos.

Excuses are for losers. Be the Standard. I hear Arkie fans always saying the Refs screw them after every loss since they joined the SEC. Be better than that, we aint Arkie. Just my 2 pesos.

That's why the point of my post is that Brent should have these guys prepared to leave no doubt.

And I'm not necessarily saying the BIG XII would intentionally cheat but the commissioner has made his feeling known regarding Oklahoma and Texas and that agenda could easily fill a subconscious role as these refs are waffling over close or subjective calls. Do you recall last season where Oklahoma's conference opponents received 1 holding call all season?

If we win by 24, those suspect PI calls won't matter much, eh?

Didn't the OU SI department run a host of "OU DNA" ads to hype the 2022 season? Those have probably been buried deep in a vault now. I think that is the reason for more of a business approach this year.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
That's why the point of my post is that Brent should have these guys prepared to leave no doubt.

And I'm not necessarily saying the BIG XII would intentionally cheat but the commissioner has made his feeling known regarding Oklahoma and Texas and that agenda could easily fill a subconscious role as these refs are waffling over close or subjective calls. Do you recall last season where Oklahoma's conference opponents received 1 holding call all season?

If we win by 24, those suspect PI calls won't matter much, eh?
Thats why I said be the standard. If we live up to the hype we won't have to worry about close game calls that could determine an outcome. Its a slippery slope when players have an excuse to blame the refs on a loss or mental mistakes. Be the standard, do your job and the rest takes care of itself.

Thats why I said be the standard. If we live up to the hype we won't have to worry about close game calls that could determine an outcome. Its a slippery slope when players have an excuse to blame the refs on a loss or mental mistakes. Be the standard, do your job and the rest takes care of itself.
Actually I don’t think the players blame the refs on a loss. That seems to be the job of a few posters that constantly gaslight that narrative.

Didn't the OU SI department run a host of "OU DNA" ads to hype the 2022 season? Those have probably been buried deep in a vault now. I think that is the reason for more of a business approach this year.
They have OU DNA ads this year too. You may have to have ESPN+ to watch them.

How we feeling about this now?

Two no call PI, one which was in the end zone.
Obvious catch out of bounds upheld.
Did they call holding on Cincy? I saw several.

• Sad
Reactions: iasooner2000
Actually I don’t think the players blame the refs on a loss. That seems to be the job of a few posters that constantly gaslight that narrative.
What players are gonna my man? The ebb and flow of the game. State of the game. We can try to understand it all we want brother. You better understand we won't. The game ain't designed that way.

How we feeling about this now?

Two no call PI, one which was in the end zone.
Obvious catch out of bounds upheld.
Did they call holding on Cincy? I saw several.
They had a false start on their last possession of the 1st half, & a PF on OU’s TD drive to go up 17-6. That’s it. I also found another stat a little on the peculiar side: 4th quarter penalties: OU 5 UC 0.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Meh, just play ball, the refs are gonna do or not do what they wish. Until we get a call or a no call like the loss to Oregon where we clearly recovered the onside kick then I won't get too excited about it. I live in Arkieland where they always complain about the refs and the SEC screwing them, just comes off as sour grapes to me when they lose.

What players are gonna my man? The ebb and flow of the game. State of the game. We can try to understand it all we want brother. You better understand we won't. The game ain't designed that way.
What the heck are you talking about? You completely misinterpreted my point.

Last edited:
Amen and I hear that crap everyday at work from that fanbase. When was the lastime you heard a Hog fan say “ We just got our asses beat end of story”

Meh, just play ball, the refs are gonna do or not do what they wish. Until we get a call or a no call like the loss to Oregon where we clearly recovered the onside kick then I won't get too excited about it. I live in Arkieland where they always complain about the refs and the SEC screwing them, just comes off as sour grapes to me when they lose.

I'd still use it as a selling point for these guys to keep a chip on their shoulder.

Yeah Woody, What are you trying to say?🤔

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT