ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: More on 4-star DL and Sooners (Weds 2:17 pm est)

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
Weds 2:17 PM EST

I’m still in NC. Wife is in third trimester so it wasn’t smart to have her drive back with boys by themselves. So I missed the Big 12 media days.

But I think you all came for me to update you here. I’ll say this: 😀

Still, I want you to understand that others are like Miami, Texas and Ohio State are still trying to sway this decision some. Some more than others. I think Miami would be that team, if you asked me.

However, this thing has seemingly been trending positively over the last 24hrs. So much so that I’m starting to really like OU chances more and more. Again, this is one of the bigger surprises that I’ve seen in a good bit.

Lastly, I’m not gonna put a pick in either way. I have my reasons. I hope that is okay with everyone.

That said, if it’s not OU it is what it is (just because it’s so unexpected), but as I noted, this feels more and more to be trending in the Sooners’ favor. OU just needs to continue holding off the trip of Miami, Ohio State and Texas.

*** What a win that would be if Bates and company can close this one out. More after a decision is announced. Either way it goes. So as always, stay tuned.

Okay, so I have talked to several sources this morning and here is what I have on 2024 four-star DL Jayden Jackson and his upcoming decision tomorrow:

*** There are some that feel Ohio State will be the pick, but in talking to a few sources today, it doesn't seem like the Buckeyes are not going to be willing to do some of the things that Jackson's people are asking of them and other schools right now. At least not a press time of this note.

*** With Miami, it feels like the Canes will are at least trying to do those things. We have said for a while that NIL will be a big priority here so unless something really changes for Jackson, I would think Miami will be a part of the schools that are in play here. Some even feel the Canes and Mario Cristobal have a decent chance to be the pick.

*** Now, with OU the Sooners having been the surprise team in this battle, no one -- including myself -- was of the idea that OU is going to be 'at the table' come decision time. However, a source with direct knowledge of it all told OUinsider, "Todd [Bates] is special at relationships and what he does has at least given (the Sooners) a seat at the table. It's closing it out that is the other part and this reaches beyond just relationships and what you can do on the field for a player in this recruitment."

That seat is far from permanent for the Sooners. As a matter of fact, the way this recruiting process has moved tells me that you can probably suspect some more twists and turns over the next 24 hours before JJ makes a decision live on Youtube tomorrow. Still, with where OU was in this, to where they are now, it says a lot about the work Bates and company have put in with JJ. Now, it's perceived to be up to some external factors to close the deal out.

A deal no one thought the Sooners should or would be in, so I wouldn't take so harshly if things don't play out in the Sooners' favor considering it's a surprise where OU is at already. And yes, it seems the Sooners have a chance here, so stay tuned.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.