ADVERTISEMENT

DrummBeat: A few quick notes on DE’s regarding Party at the Palace (Sat 3:00 AM)

Brandon Drumm

Co-Publisher OUinsider.com
Staff
Apr 28, 2023
Mustang (OK)
ouinsider.com
*** 2024 four-star DE Danny Okoye was at the Party at the Palace tonight, as I’m sure you all are aware.

I spoke to a few people that were in attendance and one source told me, “That [Danny] Okoye kid is a specimen and an athletic freak,” the source said. “I was watching him and Davon Mitchell hoop, and both of them are so big, but they can fly too. They were so explosive for being so big and were dunking with such ease. It was impressive to watch.”

The same source told OUinsider that the players and families really enjoyed it. They said laser tag, basketball, dodge ball and a host of other games were played, along with a great time just communicating with everyone.

As for Okoye, a source told me that the Sooners feel they made even more moves on Friday night. Obviously, I don’t want to get ahead of myself here, so I’ll make it clear that I believed the Tennessee Vols have been in pole position before the PATP, with Texas, Alabama, and Oklahoma battling. But after tonight, there are some that feel the Sooners are creeping up towards the top.

I have not spoken with the four-star DE just yet, but I’ll get some quotes from Okoye later this morning and have some more notes on him this weekend or Monday. Still, from where the Sooners were three months ago to now, it’s night and day in their standing for the OKPreps DE. The reasoning is obviously the persistence of Sooners DE coach Miguel Chavis, who at one point was ready to wave the white flag on Okoye. However, Chavis gave it one more try only to see it workout in a big way for OU.

Again, I’ll have more later on the Sooners 4-star DE target, but sources that were around Okoye Friday night felt things went as good as they could have gone. And from the sounds of it, it’s seem Oklahoma is continuing to make up ground quite quickly.

*** Just two quick notes in the not so good news category:

Neither four-star DE Zina Umeozulu or OU commit Wyatt Gilmore were able to make it to the PATP.

A source told OUinsider, “Zu was supposed to be there but I never saw him.”

No further explanation was given as to why the Allen (TX) four-star didn’t show up, but I did want it noted that he was not at the PATP.

Obviously, that hinders the Sooners’ chances and him not making it to Norman will make it much harder to sway him away from where older brother, Zeta, plays at Texas. A&M is the other program the Sooners are battling for Umeozulu.

I will find out more on Gilmore as well, but my understanding so far is that it wasn’t a big deal and he’s expected back in Norman early in the season for a game or two.

More on PATP and Sooners Under the Stars as the weekend and Monday/Tuesday roll along.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.