ADVERTISEMENT

Do our DB's have any pride in how they play?

Dline, below average but average against the Run

Safeties. This is where we suck ASS

Barnes average to alright
Bookie sucks ass, should never play another down at Safety. Should backup at CB, not start.
Parker sucks ass, decent cover skills, needs to play CB. Has zero feel for the game at Safety.
Broiles, bad but doesn't suck
Haughton below average

Barnes is the only steady safety

CB
Motley, good to average but has the most talent.
Brown average to good . Has good talent
Norwood, below average, small, with below average talent
Bookie, below average but has good talent. Think he washes out, head case. If they leave him at CB, he might turn out to be average to below. Horrible fundamentals. Average hips and short
Broiles, decent to average, could become good
Yell, small but has good hips. Could become good

Motley, Brown and Broiles are the only decent to average players at CB. Yell might, Bookie all talk, very little play. Norwood is not a D1 CB, can't believe he starts

When they were touting Bookie in the spring and I found out how small he was I laughed out loud,what is he 5'8'' 175 .Seriously he is the hot new defensive player?

All I heard all week is how bad and dinged up OkielIte Oline is. Pitch and catch with ZERO pressure.

Ruffin and mike apparently don’t have confidence in them playing man. When we played man they didn’t really get anything. Once again keep gallimore, Bledsoe, Redmond and Perkins in period ... Ruffin didn’t listen.

When they were touting Bookie in the spring and I found out how small he was I laughed out loud,what is he 5'8'' 175 .Seriously he is the hot new defensive player?

Tyrann Matheui was about the same size the dbs we went against in the 2008 ship were that size... what does that have to do with anything? It’s about playing bigger than you are... bet if he was at Bama or LSU he would play in better schemes

Last edited:
On that last OSU TD, our DBs all lined up behind the first down makers, and as the ball was about to be hiked, they started backing up?!? Did we think it was 4th & Goal? My god, we literally just ran backwards into the end zone. I knew right in that moment they were going to convert the 1st down (ended up all those guys in the end zone didn’t even stop the TD).

Tyrann Matheui was about the same size the dbs we went against in the 2008 ship were that size... what does that have to do with anything? It’s about playing bigger than you are... bet if he was at Bama or LSU he would play in better schemes

The point was that if that is what they were excited about on defense then we were in trouble.Not a lineman or linebacker, a small D back.And so far he is no honey badger.
And if you are playing bigger than you are you do realize a lot of those guys end up hurt?
" Its all ball bearings these days"

Just watched College Football Final and they spot shadowed the defense, the busts were more about effort than schemes.Bookie doesn't give good effort and sure as heck doesn't want to hit anyone.
That is as dis-heartening as lack of talent.
When even Joey Galloway can make sense then you know you've got issues.
At least give great effort even if you make a mistake.
I just saw it and it is flat out embarrassing.
I am beginning to think its more about the culture than X's and O's

I think the play that sums all this up perfectly was in the 4th Q, OSU was into OU territory. Hubbard ran up the middle and got deep into the secondary. One defender had him wrapped around the waste but Hubbard spun around and broke loose for another big chunk of yards.

All the DBs were content to let the one guy make the tackle. Nobody swarmed to the ball. It seemed like our small DBs were avoiding unnecessary contact. Used to be that if the first defender held up the runner, 4 - 5 more guys would pile on and “gang tackle”. We need WAY more of that, not guys allowing someone else to do the job.

This is where our size (lack of) is playing a role. Where’s our 220lb safety to be in on those tackles? I don’t know how much our DBs weigh but they all seem to be playing like they weigh 180 lbs each.

A new DC will hire new coaches and they will recruit better players. This will happen. The issue that concerns me is how the new coaches will handle the push back from existing players. I imagine some of the players we see on the field today will eventually walk off and transfer out. Some won’t be able to handle or accept the coming changes. And to be honest, I don’t care. Walk on, transfer out. We have nothing to lose and all to gain.

A new DC will hire new coaches and they will recruit better players. This will happen. The issue that concerns me is how the new coaches will handle the push back from existing players. I imagine some of the players we see on the field today will eventually walk off and transfer out. Some won’t be able to handle or accept the coming changes. And to be honest, I don’t care. Walk on, transfer out. We have nothing to lose and all to gain.
Very similar situation to what Nebraska had to endure to start this season. Took them 5-6 games to weed out the players and attitudes that Mike Riley left behind. I only hope it doesn’t take that long for our Defense next year. But I fear it might...and we probably won’t have the Offense to carry us every game.

I think the play that sums all this up perfectly was in the 4th Q, OSU was into OU territory. Hubbard ran up the middle and got deep into the secondary. One defender had him wrapped around the waste but Hubbard spun around and broke loose for another big chunk of yards.

All the DBs were content to let the one guy make the tackle. Nobody swarmed to the ball. It seemed like our small DBs were avoiding unnecessary contact. Used to be that if the first defender held up the runner, 4 - 5 more guys would pile on and “gang tackle”. We need WAY more of that, not guys allowing someone else to do the job.

This is where our size (lack of) is playing a role. Where’s our 220lb safety to be in on those tackles? I don’t know how much our DBs weigh but they all seem to be playing like they weigh 180 lbs each.
How many 220 lb safeties does Alabama have ?

ADVERTISEMENT