ADVERTISEMENT

Do our DB's have any pride in how they play?

Patriotgame

Sooner commitment
Oct 22, 2002
Watching Saturday night, I don't understand why our DB's, especially the corners, don't play up and get hands on the receivers at the snap of the ball.

If your worried about a slant route, use an inside technic.

I've always said this. Forget the coaching or schemes, you would think at some point a guy would be like I'm not letting this guy plow me over in front of all of America. However it rarely seems to matter. Norwood tackles like a 3rd grader

Reactions: Patriotgame
It appears to me that we hare in quarters coverage quite often. That might be the reason we are off the receivers so far.

Reactions: Schoonerman
I dont know why, but I honestly expected Ruff to bring a lot more pressure than Stoops ever did. What did he do? The exact same thing that Mike did.....lay 10 yards off and rush 3 the whole night. I think we gotta admit we got lucky when that QB went down. Otherwise the outcome might have been different. I'm gonna say it right now...........WV is going to light us up big time

Rushing 3 against 5 won't get pressure and can't get physical with receivers from 10 yards away.
Just an opinion here. Perhaps our defensive staff does not think our DB’s have the physical ability to effectively play tight coverage, it certainly make sense to me that tight coverage might disrupt the timing of the passing game. We get beat deep anyway so it would seem that we should take the “risk”,of playing tight coverage more often. The bottom line is that our secondary may not have much talent. CT has a point about not getting any kind of pass rush. I wonder how good our secondary would be if they were playing behind Clemson’s defensive line. Iowa State seems to be successful rushing three and dropping eight in that umbrella coverage they use. They did beat WV you know. I think WV may light us up. But we will also light them up. If we could just be as good as Iowa State defensively. Never thought I would see the day where saying that would make any sense.
Sooooooooo.....

It boggles my mind that OU will NOT try anything different to put pressure on the QB. Play after play I am sitting on the couch thinking they will bring a linebacker or a safety and it is the same old thing. Don't the coaches get tired of watching the QB stand in the pocket all day without getting touched?

Playing 8-10 yards off the line of scrimmage is a coach's decision, not a DB's decision.

So what does that say about the coach’s confidence in the DB? I don’t think we have a single DB that is over 5’11” and above 200 lbs. Maybe I’ve missed someone but overall we’re short and light guys going up against bigger, stronger receivers a lot of the time. Could that have anything to do with how Cook plays the DBs? I don’t know.

So what does that say about the coach’s confidence in the DB? I don’t think we have a single DB that is over 5’11” and above 200 lbs. Maybe I’ve missed someone but overall we’re short and light guys going up against bigger, stronger receivers a lot of the time. Could that have anything to do with how Cook plays the DBs? I don’t know.

How many years are they going to say this? Can we not get a decent secondary anymore? This is OKLAHOMA......we should be able to field a good defense.

The coaches are going to have accept mistakes and that sometimes the DB will get beat. Handing them 5 to 8 yards every play is demoralizing the the DB and the defense as a hole.

Look at Bowman's first half stats. Dink and dunk. Take what they give. It was cowardly of Mike and it's cowardly of Ruffin. OUr guys deserve a chance to try and make a play.

The coaches are going to have accept mistakes and that sometimes the DB will get beat. Handing them 5 to 8 yards every play is demoralizing the the DB and the defense as a hole.

Look at Bowman's first half stats. Dink and dunk. Take what they give. It was cowardly of Mike and it's cowardly of Ruffin. OUr guys deserve a chance to try and make a play.

Ill take getting burned every now and then. I can't handle letting them have 6-8 yards on first down every time.

Ill take getting burned every now and then. I can't handle letting them have 6-8 yards on first down every time.

It's like death from a thousand small cuts watching our DBs. True, the D-line does a great job of stopping the run, but they simply cannot consistently get pressure on the QB without blitzing. This puts additional pressure on the DBs, who are often "on an island" with a bigger WR on the outside or we give up numerous 6-10 yard gains on routes run in front of the safeties and behind the LBs.

So, I think the guys do play with heart and give it their all on every play, but the scheme does not always give them the opportunity to make plays that result in more stops. Tre Brown has been very good and his tackling was outstanding vs. Tech. Riley recognized him and Tre Norwood and even mentioned Parnell Motley making several big plays last Saturday. But, he did fail to mention the two pass interference calls on Motley (one in the end zone).

The reason for the easy completions and lack of pressure, is because of cushion given. If the db's were up playing man press this may throw off the timing of the qb causing him to hold the ball this giving the Dline a chance to get pressure

When reviewing the D-backs OU has recruited over the years, it's evident that OU gets its share of 4-star players. They can't all be underachievers and that tells me that the linebackers and defensive linemen recruited may simply not be prime time caliber.
This season sure revealed this.
Overall, OU just can't defend.

We are a set cover 2, without the #1 Jam inside. We typically Jam #1 and #2 to the outside with soft coverage. So the Mike is not the pickup but the Safety. The outside LB's Jam wide and this leaves the hitch wide open.
The issue is the soft gap. The OLB actually are more engaged for an outside jam, so nobody has a Blitz package without Soft DB, pushing up.

So A and B gap get assigned to Dline, with the Mike sitting middle and eyeing the C. The OLB, are jamming in a outside push. So no blitz, unless you bring a safety.

I hope not. That's an every Sunday thing in the NFL, and you don't see NFL coaches wimping out and playing their DBs in soft coverage.
I can trip up someone running just by kicking a 1 lb soccer ball at their legs, so if 200 lbs of muscle can't take down a 240-250lb receiver, then they just aren't tackling right.

These 5'10" DBs in the NFL are even good enough to prevent 6'5" receivers on endzone jump balls. They can go up above you, but they still gotta come back down to the ground with possession, so that means they gotta get through you at some point.

Reactions: sooners49
I hope not. That's an every Sunday thing in the NFL, and you don't see NFL coaches wimping out and playing their DBs in soft coverage.
I can trip up someone running just by kicking a 1 lb soccer ball at their legs, so if 200 lbs of muscle can't take down a 240-250lb receiver, then they just aren't tackling right.

These 5'10" DBs in the NFL are even good enough to prevent 6'5" receivers on endzone jump balls. They can go up above you, but they still gotta come back down to the ground with possession, so that means they gotta get through you at some point.

Well, shit. How can I argue with someone that watches the NFL? You win and I’m happy that I lost to someone that keeps up with all this stuff. :D The soccer ball got me.

We are a set cover 2, without the #1 Jam inside. We typically Jam #1 and #2 to the outside with soft coverage. So the Mike is not the pickup but the Safety. The outside LB's Jam wide and this leaves the hitch wide open.
The issue is the soft gap. The OLB actually are more engaged for an outside jam, so nobody has a Blitz package without Soft DB, pushing up.

So A and B gap get assigned to Dline, with the Mike sitting middle and eyeing the C. The OLB, are jamming in a outside push. So no blitz, unless you bring a safety.

I don’t understand what you said but I still agree.

There is no excusses for a offence player standing alone on the side with no one within 10 yards of him. Also a player alone in the end zone with no defender near him. Our secoundary is our problem plus a 3 man rush on passing downs.. our linebackers do not drop back in coverage following the QB’s eyes and getting in the lane of the pass. (Imo)

Impressive analysis and it is obvious that you know your defensive football. I was an assistant high school football coach many years ago so I have some understanding of what you are saying. However this was way before the sophisticated passing offenses that you see today. If you were the DC what would you do or based on the personnel that we have what do you think we should do?

Impressive analysis and it is obvious that you know your defensive football. I was an assistant high school football coach many years ago so I have some understanding of what you are saying. However this was way before the sophisticated passing offenses that you see today. If you were the DC what would you do or based on the personnel that we have what do you think we should do?

I got nothing. I admit it, but I don’t like what I see. Surely there is something that can be done.

It's like death from a thousand small cuts watching our DBs. True, the D-line does a great job of stopping the run, but they simply cannot consistently get pressure on the QB without blitzing. This puts additional pressure on the DBs, who are often "on an island" with a bigger WR on the outside or we give up numerous 6-10 yard gains on routes run in front of the safeties and behind the LBs.

So, I think the guys do play with heart and give it their all on every play, but the scheme does not always give them the opportunity to make plays that result in more stops. Tre Brown has been very good and his tackling was outstanding vs. Tech. Riley recognized him and Tre Norwood and even mentioned Parnell Motley making several big plays last Saturday. But, he did fail to mention the two pass interference calls on Motley (one in the end zone).

Motley is a disaster. If I was an opposing OC I'd go after him all game long.

With this personnel, go to more of a cover 4. Zone read, mid down yardage, RPO, even empty sets. Everything but heavy

The OLB spilts the OT and WR. He reads the OT and covers the run. The Dline gets the A & B gap. OLB on the side of the RB makes the call for run or pass. It's easy to blitz from the opposite side of the RB. The center will shade away from the RB and opens up the opposite side. Mike covers screens and draws, CB and S/Roy play man on the show blitz side. FS and CB, plays zone, with the OLB, covering, underside pushout. Then delay blitz with zone behind, if pass.

The Sam, FS and corner all play cover 4. Rover gets #3 on vertical/wheel routes, which we do a lot already, Motley. Mike drops back and covers boundary.

Motley has good hips and could become a great CB, he has the instincts and hips. He reminds me of Sanchez with better hips.

Reactions: thatdude35
With this personnel, go to more of a cover 4. Zone read, mid down yardage, RPO, even empty sets. Everything but heavy

The OLB spilts the OT and WR. He reads the OT and covers the run. The Dline gets the A & B gap. OLB on the side of the RB makes the call for run or pass. It's easy to blitz from the opposite side of the RB. The center will shade away from the RB and opens up the opposite side. Mike covers screens and draws, CB and S/Roy play man on the show blitz side. FS and CB, plays zone, with the OLB, covering, underside pushout. Then delay blitz with zone behind, if pass.

The Sam, FS and corner all play cover 4. Rover gets #3 on vertical/wheel routes, which we do a lot already, Motley. Mike drops back and covers boundary.

Motley has good hips and could become a great CB, he has the instincts and hips. He reminds me of Sanchez with better hips.

I agree with motley I think it’s a confidence thing

I am wondering why OU’s coaches don’t do this cover 4 you reference, or do they actually do it sometimes?

Can someone explain a cover 4? I know a cover 2 means 2 dbs for every receiver, so I don't quite understand a cover 4.

Can someone explain a cover 4? I know a cover 2 means 2 dbs for every receiver, so I don't quite understand a cover 4.

The Defensive Front
Teams can run Cover 4 out of the 3-4 (three down lineman and four linebackers), 4-3 (four down lineman and three linebackers), nickel (five defensive backs), dime (six defensive backs), or quarter (seven defensive backs) defensive sets. Teams can rush as few as two men in prevent situations. New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick has even used speedy linebackers as pass rushers in his Cover 4. In any case, the scheme calls for the linemen to stop the run first and rush the passer second. It's not uncommon to see a defensive lineman dropping off into coverage in Cover 4 blitz packages.

Linebackers and Extra Defensive Backs
Because they're protected by the coverage umbrella behind them, Cover 4 linebackers and extra defensive backs can afford to play the run first. They line up 5 yards from the line of scrimmage and play downhill, meaning they read the offensive line’s blocking scheme and attack the line first. They cover the shallow zones in passing situations, looking to cut down slants and shallow crosses over the middle and screen passes. Numerous blitz schemes are designed with the Cover 4 over the top, which gives linebackers plenty of opportunities to make big plays in the backfield.

Cornerbacks
The responsibility of the corners is simple in the Cover 4. They typically lock up in man coverage with the wide receiver in front of them. The defensive scheme determines what coverage the corners play. Some Cover 4 corners play press coverage, where they can dictate the wide receivers release from the line of scrimmage. Others play softer, giving the receiver a cushion to prevent against big plays. When a receiver runs a quick slant or shallow crossing route, the corner passes him along to a linebacker or nickleback to the inside and plays zone coverage near the sideline.

Safeties
The safeties have to diagnose plays quickly and make big plays when opportunities present themselves. The safeties read the second receiver on their side of the field. If that receiver run-blocks, the safety becomes an additional man in the box to help against the run. If that player runs a short route, the safeties provide help over the top for the cornerbacks. Finally, if the second receiver runs downfield, over 10 to 12 yards, the safety will lock that man up in man coverage. The safeties also have to watch for deep posts and crossing routes coming from the opposite side of the field.

cover 4 is where the field is divided into quarters, and all 4 dbs have a section to cover deep, should never get beat deep in a cover 4. OLB have a tough job cause they have to get to the flats. Cov 2 means only 2 db's are deep usually safeties, corners will stay low and play the flats, while the OLB will play the hook to curl area.

Dline, below average but average against the Run

Safeties. This is where we suck ASS

Barnes average to alright
Bookie sucks ass, should never play another down at Safety. Should backup at CB, not start.
Parker sucks ass, decent cover skills, needs to play CB. Has zero feel for the game at Safety.
Broiles, bad but doesn't suck
Haughton below average

Barnes is the only steady safety

CB
Motley, good to average but has the most talent.
Brown average to good . Has good talent
Norwood, below average, small, with below average talent
Bookie, below average but has good talent. Think he washes out, head case. If they leave him at CB, he might turn out to be average to below. Horrible fundamentals. Average hips and short
Broiles, decent to average, could become good
Yell, small but has good hips. Could become good

Motley, Brown and Broiles are the only decent to average players at CB. Yell might, Bookie all talk, very little play. Norwood is not a D1 CB, can't believe he starts

Reactions: sooners49
Norwood couldn’t cover a penny bet. Hate to throw shade on one guy in particular, with the defense a mess. Wallace owned him, why did we keep putting him out there? Is he Ruffin’s kin ??!!!

Reactions: Senior Sooner
ADVERTISEMENT