ADVERTISEMENT

Dfensive Adjustments

fortworth4ou2

Sooner signee
Jun 22, 2015
Everyone knows Texas has to have their QB running to have a chance for their offense to move the ball with a measure of consistency. Everyone, that is, except Mike. Both UT QB's seem to have had no contain man on them and they ran at will.

How many screens did UT execute on 2nd and 3rd and long? How many pass completions within 2 yards of the LOS turned out to be big yardage plays?

And the prevent D sucks!!!!!

Meh. The Ellinger (sp?) kid actually had some nice long throws. Give some credit to the defense today. They played well, even though there was some questionable officiating.

And to be honest, I wouldn't mind playing against Sam E. for three more years. He's a gamer for sure, but I doesn't look he's anything really special.

Reactions: iasooner1
Defense wasn't perfect today but they played good enough to win. The real issue today is how the offense went to complete garbage in the 2nd half two weeks in a row. Today actually early in the 2nd half it went to complete garbage till they were forced to come up with something to win the game.

I'm beginning to wonder if a coach as young as Riley is trying to handle too much with being head coach AND offensive coordinator??

Defense wasn't perfect today but they played good enough to win. The real issue today is how the offense went to complete garbage in the 2nd half two weeks in a row. Today actually early in the 2nd half it went to complete garbage till they were forced to come up with something to win the game.

I'm beginning to wonder if a coach as young as Riley is trying to handle too much with being head coach AND offensive coordinator??
I expect that to change, next year...He may have felt he had to try it, and he has, so....

Yep, defense wasn't perfect, they did just enough to win. Can they maintain some kind of consistency? I guess we will see.

I saw great effort by the defense. When Obo and JT went down, exhausted with a little over 2 minutes left. Both had given their all. And the offense just needed to get 1 first down to ice the game, they didn't.

The defense was not the problem, they played a sound game. The offense had a sound game plan. Pound the short horns with our great Oline and break them. The only problem I saw was LR, doesn't have a feel for the game. He's in over his head, as the head coach and offensive coordinator. He's pulled in to many different directions and cannot focus.

He didn't do enough to keep Texass guessing. He got cute against ISU. He went for knockouts against Baylor. All of these, did nothing to help the defense or the flow of the game. He's in over his head and without a offensive coordinator, I do not see it changing.

It was a good win yesterday but LR was the biggest problem, yesterday. Not the defense, not the effort, Hell not even the refs. Although, the refs did take LR, attention away from from his focus, as Offensive Coordinator.

At this early time in his head coaching career, I would think that Riley is in some degree a work in process. I think he is smart enough to learn early on from his mistakes.
No one questioned his ability on September 9th and it is games like that which make me optimistic about his future at OU. This team did refocus and come together after the Iowa State game. If it had not, Texas would have won.
Going forward, I see the overall health of the team being the most critical issue facing the team, not Riley's ability....which can only improve as the season goes on.

I still saw too many personal fouls. On one drive, the defense had two and it ended up costing them 7 pts.

what I saw yesterday was UT making offensive adjustments that almost won the game for them. OU clearly took away their running game with a swarming and aggressive defensive play. Then they started with their screens, short passes and QB scrambling and bootleg runs. Mike was lost at that point. Even when Beuchele came in, he stuck with what was killing us. We didn't have an answer for that..

After we jumped ahead in the 1st half, Baker began missing his targets on several key downs and we went into a scoring rut that continued for the rest of the game save for the TD pass late to Andrews.

We got lucky. Luck is a good thing to have.

We needed to have someone account for the backs out of the backfield and ehrlinger the entire game. Especially after it was evident that's all they could do. Now there were a lot of holding calls not called that allowed for their qb to scramble and make some yardage.

Everyone knows Texas has to have their QB running to have a chance for their offense to move the ball with a measure of consistency. Everyone, that is, except Mike. Both UT QB's seem to have had no contain man on them and they ran at will.

How many screens did UT execute on 2nd and 3rd and long? How many pass completions within 2 yards of the LOS turned out to be big yardage plays?

fortworh4OU2 there is no prevent defense, only "present" defense

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT