ADVERTISEMENT

D Overhaul aside, statistically top 3 areas of needed improvement

Phaeded

Sooner starter
Jun 5, 2001
These are all national team unit rankings:

1. KICKOFF RETURN DEFENSE 123
https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/463/p3 (just hit the drop down on that NCAA page for whatever category interests you)

2. 4TH DOWN CONVERSION PCT 113

3. SACKS ALLOWED 81 (skewed by the gutted OL in the bowl game, but still...)

The meaningful context is of course TOTAL O 13 and TOTAL D 123 (Rush D 106, Pass D 120). Regarding #1 above, not only was our D terrible but they were starting off defending crap field position. KO return has to get better, not just the D, especially since we score a lot (i.e., we KO a lot).

Offensively we really didn't miss a beat without Riley with that #13 Total O ranking, especially when you consider for 1.5 games we were running Wildcat when Gabriel was hurt, so that was really a top 10 O had we had our starting QB for all 13 games. So why did it feel like the O was misfiring too much of the time? See points #2 and #3. Lebby has got to go back to the drawing board on 4th down plays, but to be fair we're behind due to the D late and there were too many 4th down attempts. Most importantly, Gabriel has got to get rid of the ball better. I think a solution to that would be a H-back blocker and/or relief valve and maybe more screens. Penalties per game was average at #52 so not a top issue.

Perhaps shockingly to most, these were all bright points:
TEAM TACKLES FOR LOSS 5

PASSES INTERCEPTED 7 (tied with 2 other teams)

PUNT RETURN DEFENSE 10 (so why so crappy on defending KO returns?)

PUNT RETURNS 12

How was our D so wretched when it was top 10 in the game-changing categories of INTs and TFLs??? The obvious answer is "consistency", but I would guess the biggest problem is on blitzes there was no sound "assignment football" and our secondary was a fire drill. 3rd and longs continue to be busts. Sure we need a better pass rush (team sacks was a mediocre 64), but this is on Valai - why he still has a job after heading up a pass D ranked 120 continues to boggle my mind. Doesn't matter if he can recruit if he can't coach.

Inconsistency sums it all up for me, and every facet of the team was to blame. It starts with the play calling, offense and defense, and trickled down.

Lebby needs to get a better feel for the game flow and his QB. If running is working don't throw 6 passes in a row with a QB in a funk.

Brent/Roof need to trust the players and stay aggressive. No 3 man rush on 3rd and 8. Get the QB. Force the action. Commit to making the opposition one dimensional. Scheme to eliminate the opponents best option.

Year one is in the hat. I believe we'll all be pleasantly surprised with Brent's defense in season two. I ain't worried about the offense. 😁

Inconsistency sums it all up for me, and every facet of the team was to blame. It starts with the play calling, offense and defense, and trickled down.

Lebby needs to get a better feel for the game flow and his QB. If running is working don't throw 6 passes in a row with a QB in a funk.

Brent/Roof need to trust the players and stay aggressive. No 3 man rush on 3rd and 8. Get the QB. Force the action. Commit to making the opposition one dimensional. Scheme to eliminate the opponents best option.
Agree 1,000%

The corners need to be aggressive on 3rd especially to disrupt routes. I’m tired of them playing 10 yards off on 3rd and 3

Reactions: iasooner2000
Special teams was “coached” by a complete dumass. One good play (Fake FG with Turk) and terrible either side of it. Just abysmal.

Nothing good defensively will happen until a better pass rush and overall improvement by the defensive line occurs.
What OU has presented over the years with mediocre DL play makes its secondaries look poor. Give a passer 4 seconds or more to find his receivers and not even an all-pro secondary can look good.
Lots of chatter about the shortcomings of OU’s secondaries, and some is justified, but a Georgia-style pass rush would make a huge difference.
I believe OU’s defensive lines are priority one as far as the team’s needs go.

Reactions: tansoonerfan
Nothing good defensively will happen until a better pass rush and overall improvement by the defensive line occurs.
What OU has presented over the years with mediocre DL play makes its secondaries look poor. Give a passer 4 seconds or more to find his receivers and not even an all-pro secondary can look good.
Lots of chatter about the shortcomings of OU’s secondaries, and some is justified, but a Georgia-style pass rush would make a huge difference.
I think you are exactly right and this is proven by who Coach V. has gone after hardest in the portal. His priority #1 seems to be to strengthen the DL.

Agreed. I think Coe and Sears will be solid in the middle and hopefully one of the two will be above that. We have a plethora of edge rushers and I could see success by committee.

ADVERTISEMENT