ADVERTISEMENT

Could OU play Texas three times this year?

MiccoMacey

Sooner starter
Sep 21, 2002
Saw this on OB, and thought it was a pretty interesting possibility.

How is this for a scenario...

OU runs the table, beating Ohio State on the road, then beats Texas in a very close hard fought game down to the wire. That's two wins over two top five teams because...

Texas goes 11-1, with their only loss to OU, who would probably be ranked #1. That legitimately puts them as a top four team, especially with their road win over USC who could be somewhere in the top five as well.

OU and Texas face each other again in the Big Twelve CCG. Texas avenges their loss to OU and wins the CCG in yet another "Game of the Century".

So now OU and Texas are both 12-1, with losses to only each other, and each with two high quality wins (OU beats Ohio State and a highly ranked Texas, Texas beats USC and a highly ranked OU). They would also own the "best loss" of all CFP hopefuls, as each would have only been beaten by a top five team.

Should they both be in the playoffs, for possibly a third game?

Reactions: iasooner1
Well there are pipe dreams and now a silo dream. That will never happen.

First of all, Texas won't beat USC on the road and OU beating tOSU on the road is pretty iffy. OU has a much better shot at beating tOSU than does Texas beating the Trojans.

Well there are pipe dreams and now a silo dream. That will never happen.

First of all, Texas won't beat USC on the road and OU beating tOSU on the road is pretty iffy. OU has a much better shot at beating tOSU than does Texas beating the Trojans.
Not so much a wish for things to fall this way...or even that this scenario is a realistic possibility...just something for discussion.

The loss of the championship game is very late in the season and I suspect would cost the losing team a shot at a play off scenario.

It would have to go down exactly like that, with USC and Ohio State winning their conferences but also losing one more game along the way.

But since Texas is going to get destroyed in LA, it doesn't matter.

Saw this on OB, and thought it was a pretty interesting possibility.

OU runs the table, beating Ohio State on the road, then beats Texas in a very close hard fought game down to the wire. That's two wins over two top five teams because...

Texas goes 11-1, with their only loss to OU, who would probably be ranked #1. That legitimately puts them as a top four team, especially with their road win over USC who could be somewhere in the top five as well.

OU and Texas face each other again in the Big Twelve CCG. Texas avenges their loss to OU and wins the CCG in yet another "Game of the Century".

So now OU and Texas are both 12-1, with losses to only each other, and each with two high quality wins (OU beats Ohio State and a highly ranked Texas, Texas beats USC and a highly ranked OU). They would also own the "best loss" of all CFP hopefuls, as each would have only been beaten by a top five team.

Should they both be in the playoffs, for possibly a third game?

Not sure if serious? Vodka Tom will be lucky to finish 6-6

Serious question, bc. Which 4 teams are supposed to beat OU except Ohio State, assuming the Sooners will beat one of the five?

I was referencing Tejas my friend.

I got them losing too USC on the road, us and TCU and WVU both on the road.

I think they'll be surprisingly not awful on offense and solid on defense.

I was referencing Tejas my friend.

I got them losing too USC on the road, us and TCU and WVU both on the road.

I think they'll be surprisingly not awful on offense and solid on defense.
That's about what I have for them as well. Even Bob Stoops only won seven his first year, and he had a good nucleus of kids returning to help (although they basically had to be trained to be trainable).

Yes and it's also true for every other big xii team since it's a round robin schedule.

[
QUOTE="MiccoMacey, post: 1804837, member: 1672"]Saw this on OB, and thought it was a pretty interesting possibility.

Should they both be in the playoffs, for possibly a third game?[/QUOTE]

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT