ADVERTISEMENT

Classic Baylor coach comment

Okie70

Sooner starter
Gold Member
Oct 9, 2001
Watching the Baylor coaches show on cable after the Stoops show. Were both at a Rudy's BBQ place? Wallis, the WR coach. Guess Briles couldn't be bothered after a loss. Video showed all the Baylor TD's and interception, only OU good play was the Shepard long TD. Guy very complimentary of OU and the D game plan. But one comment made me laugh when the Baylor host asked him about the nationwide critics of Big 12 Ds. The guy says: "Hey we are not trying to win 17-10. We want to win 70-14". About sums it up.

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
Another nugget. Call in questions asked: Coach, Coleman ate up OU last year with the short out passes. Why didn't you do it again? Response: Good question. Maybe Mike Stoops finally got in their head.

Reactions: SoonerTulsan
That is Tate Wallis whose dad was a terrific player at Plano, my first year writing sports for a little paper in Plano. When Tate was the quarterback at Ennis High School, when the Lions were really good, he wanted OU to consider recruiting him. His father, Tony, knew that I was a big OU fan and sent me a tape of Tate's senior year highlights. He incorrectly thought that I had some sort of inside into maybe OU staff seeing the video. How long ago? It was on VHS tape.

Tony had also played quarterback, despite wearing number 33 and being built like a fullback. Tate was the same way. But he was a State Champion quarterback at Ennis. He wen to SMU first but transferred later. There was some sort of discipline for two or three Baylor coaches in the off season. He was one of them. I don't remember the specifics, but I think it was about recruiting.

So Jeff Lebby isn't the only Baylor assistant who fudges NCAA rules. And they would seem to have a really young staff.

Looks like good coach. Has plenty of great material to work with. Was talking about the young Baylor WRs coming up and how great the Texas HS receivers are with about everyone running the spread offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT