ADVERTISEMENT

Chat Recap: October 6th

usedtobe1

Sooner starter
Oct 8, 2008
Josh and Joe were the members of the Scoop staff in the 10/6/2015 chat. If it shows a random question or comment with nothing else following, it means nobody replied to it.

Recruiting questions/comments:

Next commit?
Josh_M: Hmmm...I've got a guess but I'm gonna sit on it a bit longer.
Comment: gonna sit on a next commit prediction? you act like we ridicule you if you are wrong or something!!! :)
Comment: For 9.95 monthly you better start spilling the beans homeboy!

Hey Josh. Sci Martin (DE/LB) or Baylen Buchanan (CB) the next commit IYO?
Josh_M: If you mean BETWEEN The two, I'd say Baylen is more likely to happen quickly - if they are to happen. But I'd be more likely to pick Sci of the two.

If Buchanan flips, will it be this week?
Josh_M: That would be my most likely guess.

Anything your hearing that we haven't heard you can share?
Josh_M: I think the really interesting thing is the Baylen Buchanan stuff, the people I've talked to sound like kids in a candy shop...'how can (OU) say no?!?!' There is definitely some excitement at how this close could go.

What DB's still have committable offers for OU?
Josh_M: Right now? Baylen Buchanan and any top 50 guy in the country. I mean OU will find room for a guy they are nuts about but they have to be the Nigel Knott's of the world.

Was Parker the top CB we had a chance at this year?
Josh_M: Yeah, and honestly six months ago I thought OU had no chance.
Joe DuVall: HUGE Parker fan. Guy has a chance to be special.

Any news on current commits talking up OU to some of the big targets?
Josh_M: Yeah, Jordan Parker is already going to work.

Who are the recruits Parker is going after
Josh_M: I can say that he has already reached out to Kelly.

Interesting they like Parker at the nickel spot and not pure CB
Josh_M: I think they just want him to start at nickel because he can get on the field.
Joe DuVall: Same deal with Aaron Colvin, Steven Parker, etc. You just get talented freshmen on the field where you can.

Defensive Line:

Josh, who do you think we land at d-line?
Josh_M: I just made my picks last week!

Nose Tackle
I’ll be somewhat surprised if there is another nose tackle taken that isn’t an elite guy. Right now I’m not ready to make a bet on a guy like that – notably Chris Daniels.

Defensive End

Amani Bledsoe - Level of Confidence: 40%
The more you talk to people about Bledsoe’s visit over the summer it sounds like things went as well as they could have and Bledsoe has announced his top six and it seems like competition that Oklahoma can definitely handle. One source told me he felt it was a battle of staying close to home with Kansas or getting farther from home but playing for an elite program - Oklahoma.

Tralund WebberLevel of Confidence: 35%
So far Webber has been very quiet about the Oklahoma offer but this is a guy who is the cousin of current Sooner wide receiver Dede Westbrook as well as being his former high school and college teammate. It’s hard to imagine a guy from Central Texas preferring his previous commitment to Minnesota to all of the connections to the Sooners.

Continuing to hear positive things with C Daniels?
Josh_M: Yes sir, think OU is right in the thick.

What's the latest on Southall and Daniels?
Josh_M: Not a ton to offer on Southall, think I'm going to have to see him to get an interview. On Daniels, have talked to a few people this week starting to set up a visit - keep hearing he'll be part of the TCU plan.

With A&M adding T.D. Moton for December at DT. That help with Southall? Daniels?
Josh_M: I think that helps with both, and again I think Southall is a guy that could be near perfect for OU's DE spot.

Shot with Antonneus Clayton (DE) out of Georgia?
Josh_M: Not really but it says a LOT about Diron Reynolds that the kid is visiting.

Is Southmoore DE Noah Jones 100% Texas Tech, or does he have any interest in us? Do we have interest in him?
Josh_M: He has interest but don't think OU is all that invested there.
Joe DuVall: I don't think Jones and OU will work out.

Linebackers:

Will Kelly really hold out till signing day?
Josh_M: I bet he doesn't, think he'll know what he wants and know he can help that school.

Besides Kelly is anyone else Mikes "baby"?
Josh_M: Nah, not really that I've heard, I mean you have to remember Oklahoma has a pretty good feel - this time of year you're starting to get a pretty good idea of what things look like.

Talked to Levi Draper?
Josh_M: I have, need to post some notes about a few people I spoke with.

Do you think Draper will stay with osu, open back up recruitment, or switch to another school?
Josh_M: I think he'll keep looking around - the end result I'm not sure about yet.

Why is everyone down on the Oregon LB commit (Darrian Franklin)?
Josh_M: from what I'm told hasn't been playing well - someone told me that his stats so far this season includes about 5 tackles. I'm wondering if he got bigger than he should have, etc.

Any further clarity about where things stand with Marvin Terry? Still puzzled about what went down
Josh_M: Not at this point, I think there is definitely a wait and see in Norman. I think he hadn't taken the test and there was just kind of a feeling of chaos around him. Not anything bad, just kind of a question of if he was going to keep finding reasons not to commit.

If OU pulled Terry's ship and aren't interested in the Oregon commit, who is the next most likely LB to commit after Kelly?
Josh_M: Sci Martin, remember they see him as OLB.

Are all the west coast LB’s talking with simmons, kish, or mike more?
Josh_M: Simmons is kind of the opening deal and then it's more Kish and Mike from there. Have to remember Mike has a long-time relationship with Kelly's crew in Fresno (which is how Viney ended up on staff).

Running Backs:

Whaley ship sailed?
Josh_M: I wouldn't go that far but it feels like it's untying its lines.
Is OU even recruiting Whaley now?
Josh_M: They are but I get the feeling it's half-hearted.
Do we take an RB this class? Or give that spot to an elite DB/WR?
Josh_M: I don't think they need to but I get the feeling they'll find someone they want and get him.

Are you surprised that OU isnt going after a smaller quick twitch RB? To me thats the kind to have in this offense
Josh_M: Yeah, it's surprised me that hasn't been more of a focus thus far.
Joe DuVall: I thought the Abdul Adams offer early was going to be indicative of the type of offer you'd see, but that really hasn't come to fruition.

Offensive Line:

I’m starting to get a bit worried about the OL recruiting
Josh_M: Yeah, I kind of keep thinking it's going to clarify but I don't think they are getting Valentin so some choices will have to be made.

Is oline recruiting more important this year or next?
Josh_M: Ever year.

17/18 classes bigger for OU than this class?
Josh_M: Without a doubt.

Do you think we land Tramonda Moore, or TJ Fiailoa? Would either do well in our system?
Josh_M: Not picking them now - but again that all got covered in last week's Scoop.
Josh_M: I think Moore fits about any system IF he wants to buy in - but I'm not sure OU's style is going to suit him that well.

Tramonda Moore over slept? Bedenbaugh pull his offer now?
Josh_M: Haha, nope.

Any word on Rowdy?
Josh_M: Nothing new there.

Do we really want another JUCO o-line guy? Or would it be better to grab a guy like rowdy and grow him.
Josh_M: I'm told they want someone who can help immediately.

Heard from Diesch? Or is he all TAMU?
Josh_M: I keep hearing it's TAMU or bust.

Any ol in cali that are looking to get away from home and are quality?
Josh_M: Oh undoubtedly but none that i've heard seriously connected with OU so far.

General:

Josh, what other Cali recruits are gonna pull the trigger before NSD?
Josh_M: To OU? I'd keep an eye on Lamar Jackson if OU can find room, obviously I'm still betting on Kelly for OU and it won't shock me at all if OU finds some guy they like late in the process.

We are the db/lb/wr that are left that you make room for?
Joe DuVall: WR - Cleveland LB - Kelly DB – Murphy

Josh do we have a chance with DB Byron Murphy still?
Josh_M: I don't think OU is that active in his pursuit at this point.

Are they really looking for Burton at safety?
Josh_M: I truly think they are open to where he'll play but I think the issue is...he doesn't really believe that.

Will they wait on Cleveland before taking anymore WRs? Did Cleveland give a timeline on a decision? Or did you get a feel?
Josh_M: Nah, it's not Cleveland and then everyone else, there are 3-4 WRs they are willing to take and be done with it for.

2017? How do you feel about Cederian Lamb (WR Richmond Tx)?
Josh_M: Like him, big bodied guys don't move like that usually.

Which commit is having the best sr season so far?
Josh_M: I would go with Parrish Cobb, guys is just making big plays every single week.
Joe DuVall: Cobb's a good pick, but I'll go 2017 and say Chris Robison. He's been one of the best quarterbacks in DFW.

Kid who nobody knows about but will be a familiar name soon.
Josh_M: Josh Proctor 2018 S from Owasso, he'll be an OU offer IMO.
Joe DuVall: 2017 Southmoore ATH Quindon Lewis.

Is Williams a better TE option than Wood? Is he going to see a bump in OK rankings because his disease has been managed?
Josh_M: Crimson, he'll be moving up, I really need to watch more of his film before comparing he and Wood.
Joe DuVall: Williams isn't quite the athlete Wood is, but would come in as a more well-rounded tight end. Sounds like Cale Gundy has taken some interest as well. Should have an update with him from his visit soon.

Most likely juco commit? If no name, what position?
Josh_M: Hmm...I'll go with Ashton Julious.
Joe DuVall: Julious.

How do you sell a kid on OU over Ohio State/Alabama?
Josh_M: playing time, lots and lots of playing time if you're an elite guy. Plus better climate than Ohio State and won't be run off like at Alabama - you can recruit against ANYONE with the right pitch it's just a matter of if the kid is receptive.

Mecole Hardeman, do we really have a shot with Josh's man-crush?
Josh_M: No.
Joe DuVall: Negative, ghost rider.

Josh I've got the biggest crush on Mecole Hardman. Kid is a stud. Any updates on his recruitment?
Josh_M: join the club brother, he is one of my 2-3 favorite guys in this class.
Joe DuVall: That dude is ridiculous.

OU still recruiting Tren Davion Dickson?
Josh_M: I believe they are still trying.

Are you guys taking to the road to put a camera in the face of the current committed guys? Saw some early on, but it's been a while.
Josh_M: Front page has a JMT interview up now? We see as many guys as we can - try to make sure I've ALWAYS seen every committed player possible.
Josh_M: I've seen everyone (including 2017 commits) but Jefferson, Kendall, J. Parker, and Younquist in person and those should be handled before the year is out.
Joe DuVall: <<< willing to go to California

Josh, I saw that OU is still talking to the 2017 QB out of Cali...do they not think Robinson is solid?
Josh_M: I think there is some thought that they might take two in that class. I don't think it happens but just think they are preparing for all possibilities.

Most likely Sooner commit to decommit? Does OU ever nudge them if they better prospects?
Josh_M: Adrian Hardy is the one I always wonder about.

Is there a chance Sylvie gets ranked at his position?
Josh_M: I'm sure he will, it kind of grows as they get increasingly familiar.

Who're you seeing this Friday night?
Josh_M: I'm not heading out this weekend - first break of the season. But Eddie is catching Chris Daniels and Joe is still figuring his plan out.
Joe DuVall: I may go see Rowdy at Norman High, although that won't be too much of a test.
Josh_M: Should make up for it next weekend with a Friday in New Orleans where I'll see Pernell Jefferson, Sci Martin, Stephon Taylor, and Brad Stewart.

Any guys visiting Texas game that have OU offers?
Josh_M: Planning to check with our guys as the week goes on about who will be there but almost NO DOUBT there will be some OU offers there.
Joe DuVall: Always some interesting crossovers every year. For those of you unaware, the home team is allowed to host recruits and this year it's Texas' turn.
Comment: Pretty sure Delance will be at the RRR, hope the beat down is epic

Can you guys put a list of Oklahoma targets that will be at the RRR?
Josh_M: We will have that in the Scoop.

Any surprise visitors coming this weekend?
Josh_M: I'm honestly not sure, it's not an OU invite weekend so I'm not quite as privy as usual.

Are any Longhorn commits thinking of flipping? I bet Eboh is kicking himself.
Josh_M: There is some talk of some guys looking around but I'd bet Eboh sticks - OU or otherwise.

Recruit that is influenced most to come to OU by an OU blowout of Texas?
Josh_M: Hmm, good question...I might say the Texas commitment that I know OU is in contact with. I don't mean to be coy but I don't want to run much on it yet.

Will OU oversign on Feb 3 if the right guy decides not to play for the Horns ;)?
Josh_M: I wouldn't rule that out, but again right now Texas isn't the school to be stealing guys from.

Next biggest recruiting weekend left besides TCU?
Josh_M: Would have to be Texas Tech.

Hearing any Tenn recruits looking around?
Josh_M: None that I've heard but OU only offered a few of those guys, Bituli, Guarantano, etc.

Josh, most of the guys on the Oklahoma commitment list don't have listed 40's. Did they not attend camps?

Josh_M: Of the guys who don't have one listed, only Parker attended a camp that I know of. But we don't do 40 times at our camps - just our combines.

Josh. Any shot with Michael Onenwu. Recent OL offer?
Josh_M: No, Cass Tech kids to Michigan...that's pretty common. Unlikely you break that up.

Which HS is the most important for OU to get its foot solidly in the door?
Josh_M: Oh if I'm just pie in the sky abuot it? IMG, just going to keep replenishing talent. And those kids aren't local so they are less likely to think 'oh I must stay in the south, etc.'
Joe DuVall: Outside of Oklahoma, and realistically, I'll say Katy is a place that OU should continue to tap.

When does OU land a kid from Serra?
Josh_M: An elite guy? Don't hold your breath.

Josh. Jordan Bonner from NEO. Jack LB. Watch the film.
Josh_M: You got it.

OU still talking to Imade at all?
Josh_M: Don't believe so.

Why isn’t ou going after the Katy rb?

Would be killer if all those Peachtree Ridge recruits came as a package

Josh have you ever heard the name Aaron Fuller? He is in my grade at my high school and is committed to UW. Runs a 4.3 and is a beast. Already has 14 touchdowns this year in 5 games. I know Bowman Sells got a little attention for Heupel but not sure about Aaron.
Josh_M: Nope, can't say that I have.

Current lineup/player questions/comments:

Any progress on Baker’s eligibility for last year?
Josh_M: None that i've heard.

Do you do you think is a possibility of leaving early this year?
Joe DuVall: Sanchez
Josh_M: No one should be but Sanchez has always talked about it.

Any possible transfers after the season?
Josh_M: Undoubtedly there will be a few.

Any commits enrolling early?
Josh_M: Austin Kendall I'm fairly certain about not sure on anyone else...I'm betting my memory is failing me on another guy or two.
Joe DuVall: Ryan Parker?
Comment: Basketball commit Matt Freeman enrolling early from New Zealand.... :)

Whats your opinion on the reason Andrews is not on the field more?
Josh_M: I think there has to be a feeling that Oklahoma doesn't like how he seems to tip the hand of the play due to his lackluster blocking.

Are we rushing the ball better if Alvarez, Dalton, and Farniok are in on the OL?
Josh_M: Oh maybe, but I think you'd see OU struggle more in pass pro as those guys aren't as athletic or aren't as experienced with blitz packages.
Joe DuVall: As much as Darlington can struggle, you still take his experience at this point. That Fox replay right before the Shepard TD did a great job of highlighting how important communication on the o-line is to spring plays like that.

Darlington and Kasitati are sorely overrated. Do you agree?
Josh_M: Depends on who is rating them. I think most are kind of ok with what they are, solid college OL, not much more.

Is Darlington too light?
Josh_M: I think that's always been his biggest issue. He is a good athlete, obviously very, very smart but just struggled to set his base.

Is Farniok holding his own
Josh_M: As much as anyone on this OL is right now, he's been ok, been better than Alvarez IMO.
Joe DuVall: He's getting by, but it's far from ideal.

I know there was noise this week, but do you guys think Frison will ever be allowed to practice this year?
Josh_M: I do, I'm betting he comes back for bowl prep.

Hope you get to this, think DeBerry starts next year?
Joe DuVall: It wouldn't shock me, tbh.
Josh_M: No. Think it's Obo and Bolton.
Joe, striker or bonds spot?
Joe DuVall: They have Obo listed as Bond's backup now, but I could see him filling Striker's role and DeBerry filling Bond's.

Is it possible run defense improves next year with an OLB bigger than Striker playing?
Josh_M: Definitely possible but if they go with Bolton (as I expect they will) then not that much size being added.

How is Frank Shannon's attitude with not getting many reps?
Josh_M: couldn't really say but you'd have to think he is frustrated - just human nature. Though Jordan Evans did say he is the guy always working with him when he comes off the field to talk about what he should be doing.

Is there any word on the progress of Frank Shannon?

How bad is Bond hurt? Exactly what did he injure?
Josh_M: sprained ankle is what we have been told.
Is Bond really just a sprained ankle?
Josh_M: To my knowledge.

Should Mixon be playing more than Perine as a better O fit? Not will he, but should he?
Josh_M: He probably is but if OU can make that pistol work it can solve some things for Perine.
Joe DuVall: I've already said I'd find a way to keep them both on the field together as much as possible.

Any breakout player vs texas
Josh_M: Breakout, let's go with...Jarvis Baxter for a pair of scores?
Joe DuVall: Can I cheat and say one of Dahu Green, AD Miller, or Jeffery Mead?

Is Austin Roberts going to play this year? Can he redshirt?
Josh_M: Has already played.

Austin Roberts our secret weapon against UT?
Josh_M: If OU is smart any secret weapons will be saved for November.

Speaking of injuries, any chance Marquise Overton develops an injury for a hardship waiver?
Josh_M: Did he play against Akron? Memory is failing me. If so, then yeah he'll undoubtedly have an 'injury'.

Does Lampkin get to play this weekend?
Josh_M: I don't think so, he is redshirting IMO.

Dj ward? Solid player? Can he improve into elite player? Thoughts?
Josh_M: Solid guy, kind of makes me think of a poor man's Jonathan Jackson from the early 2000s. Not elite at anything but very sound in every aspect.
Joe DuVall: DJ's a guy that the coaches have noted his improvement every year and now you're starting to see him get some serious playing time. I think being a contributor in the rotation is a good spot for him. It's not elite, but it's nothing to scoff at.

Seibert a three star because of being a PK/P? Seems like one of the best guys we got last year. I'd be "three-star U" if each of my guys was him.
Josh_M: Yeah we don't rank K/P higher than that.

How's Cody Thomas?
Josh_M: In what regard?
Joe DuVall: Third string at the moment, but I have heard all of those guys get along and root for each other.

How would you compare Jordan Parker to Haughton?
Josh_M: I wouldn't, Parker's a CB Haughton's a safety. Parker honestly reminds me some of Demontre Hurst.

Thought Haughton was playing nickel
Josh_M: He hasn't played much of it so far.
Joe DuVall: The coaches have liked the play of Parker, Byrd, and Thomas.

Jordan Parker more talented than Mbanasor?
Josh_M: Yeah, I think he is a guy more capable of playing man, while Mbanasor I think is a cover two corner.

Is it safe to bet that d-wood shows up in Jan? Would your scoop picks be down one if Wood can earn a scholarship?
Josh_M: I don't think any bet with Wood and being on the team is a safe one. And he won't be on scholarship in Jan.
Comment: Have to think Wood will look back on this in 5-10 years and be like, “what did I do”?

Any news on preferred walk-on standouts?
Josh_M: not really, you rarely hear that stuff about any young guys this time of year because coaches don't want recruits hearing it.

OU/Texas or Big 12 team comments or philosophy:

For the tape illiterate, is our scheme more zone, man, or combo?
Josh_M: In Mike's first run it was ALL cover two all the time...now you see more man but they'll keep people honest with some zone in there. I would primarily say they are a man team now - which is what Mike did for YEARS at KSU.

Do you think the plan is to go back to the two TE formations of the early 2000s? Seems like we're looking at Tim Tebow type guys playing in their proper positions.
Josh_M: Two TEs? No, not really. Think OU knows big athletes are hard to find. I'm not AT ALL convinced Wood's best position wouldn't be at DE.

What kind of Offense is Texas running right now? Do we match up well? I notice them getting beat left and right, but I'm not sure what they run.
Josh_M: They run a lot of zone read want to get their QB outside to let him make plays if a few reads aren't out there. Basically trying to be very simple for their young guys.
Joe DuVall: Lots of option fakes and throws where they split the field in half for Heard to make it easy on him.

Comment: I am actually really worried about UT just power running right at us...Tenn and WV both had some success with it.

Josh do you see a similar attack that WV had success with out of that power I and run at us up the middle?
Josh_M: I saw them go at Striker, to me that's where OU is weak in run defense - everyone else, pretty solid but he was the reason WVU went quick, so OU couldn't change that up.

Familiarity with Norvell and vice versa...any advantage for either side in that respect?
Josh_M: I would expect it's more advantageous for UT, have a lot of familiarity with the players, etc. But I think it ends up washing out.
Joe DuVall: It'll be something both teams go over, but I doubt it has much of a tangible impact.

So is this week a trap game or not
Josh_M: I really don't see it, I think 2013 is recent enough those guys know how bad it can go if you aren't locked in.
Joe DuVall: It's a trap in the sense that it would be a devastating loss. But I don't envision that happening.

What will score be this weekend at Dallas?
Josh_M: Have to wait for staff picks!

Do you think Texas will score over 20 points on Saturday?
Josh_M: I think it's probably right in there somewhere. They'll get some free point somewhere, a rivalry game...crazy stuff just happens.
Joe DuVall: Probably not.

Am I wrong to be worried about taco tech?
Josh_M: No, Mahomes is a good player but, traditionally, they haven't fared well in Norman (with one obvious exception).
Joe DuVall: Obviously anything can happen and Mahomes has the ability to explode for big plays, but I would say it's still OU's 5th most "losable" game left.

Most impressive big 12 freshman so far?
Josh_M: Of the true? Hard to argue against Malik Jefferson (Ty Darlington singled him out on tape) but hell the kid from TCU - Kavontae Turpin - looks pretty dynamic.

Is Texas problem with coaching or attitude of players? Do they still have the entitlement attitude there?
Josh_M: I think there is some of that, no doubt about it. You've got SRs who have never done anything calling out freshman who have taken their jobs - and you'd assume for good reason.

In regards to TX. You can't say freshman win close battles and then expect them to listen to upper classman. Won't work.
Josh_M: I think we're in agreement?

General Sports:

Any inside scoop on Viney getting a role after this season?
Josh_M: Nope, been told he really wants to stay though so perhaps something can get worked out.

Do the current D coaches get their contracts renewed? If I remember correctly, Cooks and Reynolds only have 1 year.

Comment: I’m really excited about Diron he isn't going for lesser guys just to fill up a spot and I’m okay with that b/c eventually he will get a few good ones

Josh, what's with the Junior College site on rivals? A separate subscription needed to view it's material?
Josh_M: Yup.

How does Tenn only have 4 away games?

Eddie mentioned stoops turning in 15 plays for review. Do we know what the plays were?
Josh_M: I do not.

If they ever do throwback uniforms again, is it against the rules to put a historical players name on the jersey? Like if we let the guys pick their favorite all-time player.

Non-Sports Stuff:

Was Joe a poster on the board before hire?
Josh_M: He was a member but didn't post - or at least that's what he tells me. :)
Joe DuVall: I read, but never posted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.