ADVERTISEMENT

Chat Recap: October 20th

usedtobe1

Sooner starter
Oct 8, 2008
SOONERSCOOP.COM CHAT - October 20, 2015

Josh was the only member from the Scoop staff in the chat last night.

Recruiting questions/comments:

How's the current state of our recruiting (momentum and all) with players? Are you getting a feeling some big time players such as Ed Oliver, Caleb Kelly, Mique Juarez, etc are moving on?
Josh_M: I think OU is in a good place definitely lost some momentum following Texas but they can get it back with a big weekend and closing on a guy or two.

Any commits this weekend?
Josh_M: Speights is the guy I've got my eye on.
With as much certainty as possible, next commit? :)
Josh_M: Almost no certainty...I'll pick Speights. Just a feeling I have.
Comment: Pronounced "Spates" or "Spites"?
Josh_M: Spates

Did OU start to slip with Whaley or were they unwilling to play the game?
Josh_M: They were moving on, think they didn't want to wait until January for him to announce.

This is a very specific question lol... If you HAD to name ranked rivals player that will be Committed to OU who ISNT already and ISNT named Caleb Kelly...who would it be? Lol
Josh_M: Dear lord...hahaha. I'll go with Chris Daniels.

Do you think Kelly ends up somewhere other than OU?
Josh_M: I don't.
I didn’t really like Kelly saying on twitter his team played bad the other night but he was playing good? Definitely made me like him a little less.
Josh_M: Guess I missed that?

Number of commits estimated before Baylor?
Josh_M: Probably 2, maybe 3. OU just doesn't get many during the season.

Guesses at number of commits in Oct?
Josh_M: I will say two.

Any new names to keep an eye on?
Josh_M: Nothing that we haven't gone over recently.

Under the radar Okpreps OU might flirt with. 2016
Josh_M: Hmmm....I honestly don't really see one.

Next of 2017 class to commit?
Josh_M: I'm keeping my eye on Charleston Rambo.
Charleston Rambo brother of Xavier Rambo that played at Kansas?
Josh_M: Honestly not sure on that.

What does the DB/LB class look like next year(17)?
Josh_M: As far as numbers?
Reply: Yes
Josh_M: I'd go with 3 DBs and 2 LBs.

Boz tweeting Draper give us a shot?
Josh_M: I think OU has a shot, don't think that had anything to do with it.
Boz tweeting Draper random luck or due to the coaches mentioning something
Josh_M: Don't think it was tied to coaches.

Migue Juarez... even a 10% chance? I don't see it.
Josh_M: Not IMO.

More likely, Juarez convincing Kelly to go elsewhere or Kelly convincing Juarez to come to OU.
Josh_M: Juarez convincing Kelly elsewhere. I think they just end up in other places.

Latest with juco OLB Tyree Horton?
Josh_M: Nothing new so far, but the kid just WILL NOT talk to anyone...

What happen with OU and the LB out of Dallas?
Josh_M: Terry? (This is just me putting a few pieces together) I think he had some academic stuff to clear and with the kind of guys they are getting in on it may not have been seen worth the risk to let him take a spot from a guy like Juarez, etc.

Is contact between Parnell Jefferson and OU starting to fade?
Josh_M: He says no but I am hearing that may be happening.

Any good new on OL recruiting or any news good or bad?
Josh_M: It's all been kind of quiet.
Josh_M: That said, news is inevitably coming.

Will we fill the O-line class of 2016 with quality or has the ship sailed?
Josh_M: I don't think it's going to be superstars but the fact that they can 'fall back' to Frederick is pretty shocking to me. I really think he can be a high quality guard.

Between (OL) Moore and Frederick, which do you think ends up at OU, if either?
Josh_M: Right now I'm thinking both.

Would it be bad to take all of the good guards from OK if the JUCO's fall through?
Josh_M: Well there are about six so yeah, but I get your point and think OU can definitely find some quality.

Do you like juco OL Julious? He seems like a must-get, but is he that good?
Josh_M: I think he is pretty solid, I don't think he is a future NFL guy but he can compete.

What happened with Diesch?
Josh_M: That is the WEIRDEST thing, I think most around Norman thought once he decommitted they'd get a visit but he hasn't expressed any interest publicly. I think at the end of the day, he's just wired a little different. Kind of reminds me of Brian Pickryl.

Why didn't Rowdy show for his game?
Josh_M: Huh?

Still waiting on TE Blake Williams med record or does he have an offer from the good guys?
Josh_M: No offer at this point.
With Williams would Cale be set for the year at inside?
Josh_M: ?? Williams? What am I missing?

All we keep hearing is the secondary class "seems set except for one or two exceptions"...yet now another DB is taking an official (the LSU kid) and Lamar Jackson is still in play and I assume at least one more CB has a commitable offer. What do you believe will be the final #'s for the secondary this cycle? Like how many more in addition to the 4 current commits?
Josh_M: First, again that visit hasn't been set, it just hasn't. And at any rate, I'm confident they are looking at him as a LB. I honestly think OU is done in the secondary but continues to recruit guys they like in case a spot opens up.

Treyvon Mullen. Named OU in top 13 on the 19th. Any shot there?
Josh_M: Trayvon Mullen is a 2016 kid. But he isn't coming. Again, I really don't expect OU to take another DB unless something opens up later.

Thoughts on the 17 DB Mullen? Sorry if I've missed it.
Josh_M: ?
Ah my bad. Wouldn't have asked if I knew he was a 16 kid.
Josh_M: No sweat man! That's what threw me off, when you said 17 I was thinking 'I don't know a Mullen in 17'.

Tyrie Cleveland fading from OU?
Josh_M: I don't think so at all.
Would Tyrie see PT next year?
Josh_M: Think it's definitely possible, has that kind of game that translates well.

The rivals 100 WR visiting this weekend...% chance he ends up a sooner? (Devin Duvernay)
Josh_M: 15%

Does Casey Thompson want to be Robinson's back up? Another Thompson with poor timing?
Josh_M: I don't think Thompson would look at it that way.

Have you followed Austin Kendall this year? I understand that he was hurt, but has his "stock" stabilized?
Josh_M: He's been ok, came out real hot but last week was a bit slow, again it's in every Future Sooners article I do. 15-25, 145-yards and two TDs https://oklahoma.rivals.com...

Any chance Mike, Cooks, and Kish help out with the DL recruiting?
Josh_M: Oh yeah, they definitely do - but it's Reynolds who is making a push for these guys, he is doing a very nice job.

Which school is the top competition for OU in regards to Amani Bledsoe? Chris Daniels?
Josh_M: Daniels, I'm hearing Michigan. Bledsoe, I'm really not sure, Kansas is my guess but that is just too weird to type.

Any updates on Mecole Hardman? Where is he leaning?
Josh_M: Most think UGA/TN battle.

Next center commit? '17? Or do they grow 'em from other positions?
Josh_M: I think 2017 is where you'll see that, though Roberson isn't a guy I'd rule out.

What highscool kids have you talked to that you knew they were a leader from that first interview?
Josh_M: Good question...for me, Caleb Kelly would be among them, also Chanse Sylvie, just guys who get it.

Any of the current commits making traction recruiting others?
Josh_M: Jordan Parker is the guy I'd have my eye on.

What happened to the LB Sione Lund from Utah we were looking at this summer?
Josh_M: 2017 kid. He visited but so far not much has happened since then (to my knowledge).

Anyone left in Florida or Georgia?
Josh_M: As far as committable offers? Not really.

Texas commit that was wavering still an option?
Josh_M: Indeed.

Visited in the summer any chance DE A.J. Epenesa comes to TCU with his dad on an unofficial?
Josh_M: I'll check with them but I really think the fact Iowa is having a huge year pretty much wraps that deal up.

Most athletic pair of cornerbacks OU has signed since...?
Josh_M: 2012 Gary Simon and Zack Sanchez.

Parrish Cobb comparable to Dominique Franks?
Josh_M: He is bigger than Dominique was but probably not quite as fluid, I might say more of a Brian Jackson type.

Do we offer Bob's kids?
Josh_M: Based on what I've seen so far, probably not. But it's not impossible, they can play.

Any recruits care about the KSU shutout? (Aside from the Kansas kids?--I hear they rock)
Josh_M: Not really.

Current lineup/player questions/comments:

Of the current redshirts who do you think will have the biggest impact next year
Josh_M: Good ?, like this one...I'm going with a dark horse...Bobby Evans. If I wanted to take the safer bet...Gallimore.

Mixon as fast as you were expecting? For some reason I keep waiting for the huge gain to happen. Obviously not AD fast, but doesn't even seem in the ball park
Josh_M: He is fast, but he is definitely a guy more quick than fast. I'd say he is probably a 4.48-4.52 kind of guy.

Do you think they will rotate Romar, Wade and Overton?
Josh_M: I think they will, it makes me wonder if they don't mess with a few four man fronts against Baylor, etc. Try and get a bit more beef inside to slow down that run game?

Does Gallimore have a better career at OU than Overton?
Josh_M: Hmmm...man, tough question. I'll bet on Gallimore's upside but hard to not love what Overton did on Saturday.

Would you have thought Baker would be as impressive as he has been. I mean I was expecting a slightly better Knight but wow the only thing Knight has him in is speed. To which Baker has more than enough to get it done
Josh_M: No, I can't try and lie (all my guesses are documented) I really thought he'd struggle and there would be some battles after the start of the season.
Comment: Josh was not a Baker guy.
Josh_M: Completely fair.
Comment: Though to be fair, I think his points about Baker were more towards him not being a savior many thought he was.
Josh_M: That was some of it but again I had questions about his decision making and I really thought OU would rely more on run game and want him to take care of the ball - neither of those things were correct so my first thought poisoned everything else, ha.
Comment: Hate Baker taking sacks and hanging on to the ball. But can't fault him with as many plays he makes.
Comment: its going to be fun watching the fire in bakers eyes this week
Comment: and I bet Riley is also pumped
Comment: Any chance baker gets to audible this year?

I love that Baker tried to slam into to corner of the endzone late in the game up 55-0. He’s got a huge chip on his shoulder
Josh_M: Yeah but too often and OU is going to see their starting QB get hurt.

I listen to too much radio at times, with that said on the wwls a talking head stated he doesn't feel good about baker's chances at gaining back the year he lost from transfer, where do you stand on this?
Josh_M: I think it's unlikely but the walk-on thing makes his situation unlike many we've seen before. So it's all a bit of guess work.

If Frison were to rejoin the team in the spring, would he be projected at the left tackle spot and brown to right? Or would they move him into guard since Samia is making such an impact there with coach B?
Josh_M: That's a great question and trust me it's a problem Bedenbaugh wants to have. I'd guess Brown sticks at LT and they figure out Frison/Samia.

Sanchez really going pro?
Josh_M: He has said as much before but I'm not sure he'll get the draft grade he expects.

Do you think were gonna use Quick more in the slot this weeknd?
Josh_M: It seems like OU is getting more comfortable with him so I think you'll see his snaps improve more and more going forward.

Quick or Baxter should play more and why?
Josh_M: Quick, Baxter is a good player but to me just isn't a game-changing type that Quick has the ability to do.

You're in charge of Amani Bledsoe's official visit...which current DL do you pair him with as his host and why?
Josh_M: Oh man you guys are firing out some nice stuff this week...based on not knowing Bledsoe that well it's tricky but I'd lean toward Gabe Campbell. That kid I think could get along with a post.

Why not put 10 to 15 more lbs on Hatari and groom him to play closer to the LOS as a backer?
Josh_M: Well it's not a bad idea but don't think it works that well, I just don't see him having the body type that works well at LB, all is his weight is up high.

Something going on with Walker? Thought he would be a breakout this season.
Josh_M: Charles? I think he largely has been, just hasn't been consistent enough - it's why he isn't the starter over Dimon.

Would you sit Darlington and play Alvarez?
Josh_M: Not yet but I'd like to see some more of Alvarez at C and see what is there.

Number of catches for Andrews this week?
Josh_M: I'm going with 3, sooner or later he has to be part of the equation.
Comment: 17 or less. And this D is a great D

Surprised Austin Roberts played Saturday to remove any redshirt chance?
Josh_M: Yeah, very weird choice.

Will Antoine Stephens ever see significant minutes at OU or would you say he is a transfer candidate?

Josh_M: I like Antoine Stephens, I think he can play but it's all about him buying in doing the things he needs to but I think he has the physical ability.

State of the OU program/Overall Team comments/Coaching:

What are the chances of this team going 11-1? Honestly it looks better than 50%. Texas game was a fluke. Baylor's Defense has holes to exploit.
Josh_M: Better than 50%? Wow, I'm nowhere near there. You're forgetting OSU in Stillwater and TCU. I'd say about 25%.

Does Baker’s success level change if Heupel is still the OC? Is his lack of turnovers to this point a product of Riley? Or better talent around him?
Josh_M: Better play at WR is without question better and he is running a much more pass friendly offense.

I saw some significant improvement with our oline ability to hold a block and change the line of scrimmage, how do you feel like the oline is progressing ?
Josh_M: I thought Saturday was a big step forward against an athletic and active DL. It's not perfect but it's getting better.

Do you agree that it's not necessarily a "passing offense" that hurts OU but rather the tempo? Mike seems to do well against one dimensional passing teams i.e. Tech every year leach was the coach.
Josh_M: I think tempo is definitely something that is part of his issue, but that's true of every DC. Have to remember Leach wasn't so much 'not a tempo guy' as tempo wasn't the hallmark of offenses that it is now.

We have seen that our recruiting has been good, not great over the past 5 years, probably 13-18 overall, what is our average star rating ranked in the past 5 classes, don't need specifics, just curious , seems like our average star rating is ~7-12 nationally, just curious
Josh_M: I'd have to do a little research - put this up on the board and I'll get you an answer.

I'm mainly interested in '16 recruiting at this point. We are ranked #47, albeit with low numbers. That is Bob's M.O. (waiting), but how high can we expect to climb. Championship teams finish routinely in the Top 10.
Josh_M: I think OU is looking 17-20 in all likelihood.

Talent in the freshman and sophmore classes better than the junior and senior class? Currently on campus.
Josh_M: No doubt and I think you see less departure talent, more guys that are going to do their work. I mean it's just staggering how few guys are left in the JR/SR classes.
Josh_M: I mean 31 of 83 scholarships in your two oldest classes? That's crazy.

Have to add one player to this team from Big 12. Who you adding?
Josh_M: To THIS team? Le'Raven Clark, Brown shifts to RT, Samia kicks to a guard, and you just get so much more depth. IF we're talking moving forward, Malik Jefferson no doubt.
Should OU have lied to Jefferson about his position as it seems TX did?
Josh_M: No, that's just not a good policy to set. Texas can get away with it in TX, because they are Texas...OU just can't.

One position coach you'd replace for another coach you'd think would upgrade OU. Who would those coaches be?
Josh_M: You guys know I hate that stuff, but I'll just say a guy that I think is doing a remarkable job is Brad Cornelsen QB coach at Memphis. Also really like Don Brown at Boston College (though not a great fit for OU).

Comments about Texas Tech game:

Score prediction for TT game?
Josh_M: Not yet!

How do you think were going to attack TTU? is this the week we’re gonna see Samaje do work?
Josh_M: I'm still going over the TCU tape right now but yeah I'd wonder if OU tries to get physical a bit.

If OU comes out and holds tech's offense under 20 points, will that make a significant impact on your opinion whether OU can significantly slow down Baylor and TCU enough for a victory?
Josh_M: Without question, Tech's offense will be the first (since Tulsa) that is really capable of hurting OU through the air and has a lot of weapons.

Does Mahommes throw more than 3 TDs against us sat?
Josh_M: More than? Maybe.

Which Tech receiver should we be worried about Saturday? who's their big play guy?
Josh_M: Jakeem Grant, very explosive. Can turn 20 into 80 REAL fast.

Is Clark supposed to play for TT this weekend?
Josh_M: I'll have to check, last I'd heard was 'day to day'.

Comment: TACO TECH SUCKS

General sports:

Josh, our 2015 class changed immensely after NSD. Do you ever think that recruiting rankings would be more effective by waiting until August to get a more accurate picture?
Josh_M: Oh yeah, and we do a re-ranking as guys do/don't arrive, etc. But yeah I mean the most accurate ranking would be after they graduate but you know that's just not what the people want! haha.

Which WR you like better Josh Doctson (TCU) or Corey Coleman (Baylor)?
Josh_M: For college football? Doctson. For a guy that will be an NFL star? Doctson.

Memphis the team that has surprised you the most this year so far?
Josh_M: Houston, by a mile...what they are doing is really amazing.

% chance Fuente is still at Memphis next year? Snyder at KSU?
Josh_M: I think Fuente will get a job somewhere else I'm guessing there is a LOT of coaching movement this offseason.

Kansas State is no slouch
Josh_M: Agreed, don't know what that means though?

Whatever happened to Gary Simon’s teammate we offered that got shot?
Josh_M: Not a clue, forgot all about him honestly.
Note: Tampa Bay Gibbs HS 2012 LB Maurice Hall http://newsok.com/article/3710577

Dunya Rice (2016 Southmoore) must be the son/relative of Dunya Rice from Lake Highlands/South Oak Cliff in the mid 90's. Was an incredible player that led SOC deep in the playoffs but had some off the field issues.

Thoughts on the Louisville BBall situation?
Josh_M: Some messed up people in this world.

Was Warren Wand an OK Preps guy?
Josh_M: He was, Edmond Memorial.
Just had a good play for Ark St
Josh_M: Wand is a really good player, will be a good one for ASU for a while.
Comment: Wand still running well btw. 23 yard carry.

Who wins World Series? Hopefully not the cubbies
Josh_M: I'm betting on the Mets, their pitching is just going to be so, so, so tough to beat in a seven game series.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.