ADVERTISEMENT

Chap Recap: November 10th

usedtobe1

Sooner starter
Oct 8, 2008
SOONERSCOOP.COM CHAT - November 10, 2015

Both Josh and Joe participated in the Chat on Tuesday. I haven’t posted a detailed recap the past 2 weeks because someone else did, and it takes a lot of time. I’m happy to share the fun. I thought since we have the Baylor game this weekend we needed to see what Josh and Joe had to say.

Recruiting questions/comments:

Josh, next commit?
Josh_M: Derrick Willies.

Josh, did you ever confirm Parrish Cox's recent visit to TCU?
Josh_M: I haven't, but again I don't make much of it.

Parrish Cobb stay through to signing day?
Josh_M: I think he'll be fine.

Jordan Parker having any luck on the trail? (recruiting for the Sooners)
Josh_M: None that I've heard so far but I do think some are listening.

Hey Josh, LB's look something like: Terry, Youngquist, Kelly, Horton and ? on signing day?
Josh_M: I picked it just a few days ago!

Horton, Chattman, or Juarez; who's the final LB?
Josh_M: Chattman is my guess.

Is Martin similar to Deberry? They're about the same size.
Josh_M: Martin is longer than DeBerry but not as powerful at PoA.

Horton too small for OU?
Josh_M: Nope, after he took that visit they were still all about him from what I was told.

What is Hortons actual height?
Josh_M: Don't know, haven't seen him with my own eyes.
55 thinks Horton is 5'10''

Why sign Horton? He's not taking J Evans spot...?

Horton still have a committable offer?
Josh_M: That's my understanding, yeah. He is a freaky talent.

Hortons film just doesn't do it for me. What am I missing?
Josh_M: can we be talking about the same kid?

Horton similar to Striker? Only longer? Thought I read that somewhere.
Josh_M: I guess I can see why people would make that comparison but I think he's a definite ILB.

Tyree Horton end up at OU?
Josh_M: Nah, I bet he goes back with FSU.

All I have to say is Jeremy Beal, most underrated pass rusher at OU and he was a stretch at 5'11
Josh_M: Measured 6-2 at the combine?
Comment: I met him when he stepped on campus and I'm 6-1 and he was a good 2 inches shorter than me
Josh_M: Combine doesn't usually miss on height...congrats you're 6-3!

If Juarez could play for one team outside of CA who is it?
Josh_M: I think you could argue OU would be the choice but that's me guessing somewhat.
Joe DuVall: I'm in like Notre Dame.

Crimson Stool: Blake Williams; still waiting on doctors?
Josh_M: I bet Joe has spoken with him more recently than I have.
Joe DuVall: That's the last word. Gundy is maintaining constant contact with him, though. They talk multiple times per week.

Re: Blake Williams; is he an offer as soon as doctors say something's good or are there others in mind for that spot?
Joe DuVall: I don't think it's a situation where they're just waiting on the doctor's to ok the offer. It's just a major factor in their evaluation.

Any new movement on OL at all since Diesch went to Aggie?
Josh_M: Nah, I think OU knew they weren't getting Diesch (at least since his Arkansas commit).

Chance that Delance comes back?
Joe DuVall: I don't see that happening.
Josh_M: 0.0%.

Out of the remaining WR offers on the board for OU, who does OU have the best chance with?
Josh_M: Cleveland and maybe Jones - I get the feeling OU is really pushing for the latter.
Joe DuVall: Agree with Josh and if you haven't had a chance to check out Jones' film, I highly recommend it.

Jones tape is INSANE what current college receiver would you compare him to?
Josh_M: Christian Kirk - he isn't quite that physical but man his explosiveness is second to none.

Do we get a non JUCO WR? Who?
Josh_M: I think Jones is who they want and I've been told they have a true chance.

Josh, where do you think WR Tyrie Cleveland ends up?
Josh_M: My first thought is A&M but he is a tough kid to read...

Are the 35 Boot kids a package (Louisiana)? Do they wait until signing day to pull the trigger?
Josh_M: I'd say no (though Martin and Taylor are close) and no.

Latest on Sci Martin?
Josh_M: Need to check in with him but still think OU leads.

Main competition for Southall?
Josh_M: I honestly DO NOT KNOW. Bizarre situation - I may try and get by and interview him while in Dallas this week.

Top rated guy with OU interest and no offer?
Josh_M: 2016 none readily come to mind (though I admit the all-star games always offer a surprise) but in 2017 you'd have to say Tre Brown as far as highly rated.

Which recruits care about this weekend the most?
Josh_M: 2017 guys, really don't see it impacting 2016.

What recruits of note will be in Waco this weekend?
Josh_M: Trying to get a list but know Baron Browning is the one that caught my eye so far.

Believe Horton is in Waco this weekend ironically
Duvernay, Horton and Marvin Wilson will all be in Waco. Also, Baron Browning is jimmy Wilkerson 2.0

Ebony vs Buchanon. Who and why?
Josh_M: Huh?
Joe DuVall: I'll take Ivory?
Eboh*. Terrible typo!
Josh_M: hahaha, got you - Buchanan but a lot, though I liked Eboh more than I expected to when I saw him in person earlier this year.

Chance that Eboh flips?
Josh_M: Small, I don't really think OU is pushing for that at this point

Anything from Willies visit yet?
Josh_M: Not since Sunday evening.

Josh, OU still talking to Florida OL parker B?
Josh_M: last I checked yes they are.

Who were the 4 players that almost /did have officials this passed weekend? The two that made it in. Abdul Adams, and?
Josh_M: Jon-Michael Terry and another commit - though he wasn't fully apprised of that so I'll leave his name out (no big deal or anything just don't want him to hear 'through the grapevine' that his visit was almost switched).

Which 3 OU commits do you see making the biggest jump in the next rivals rankings?
Josh_M: Cobb, Sylvie, Terry

Why hasn't Frederick made it to a game and is it necessary for him to be offered?
Josh_M: He has had some issues with Sat. work with his team. And yes, no visit and he won't get an offer.

Josh, has Howell seen cobb play? Any mention of ranking moving up?
Josh_M: I know it's been discussed between he and I but no he hasn't seen Cobb since last spring.

Josh, any juniors or sophomores from Plugerville Hendrickson that we are looking at?
Josh_M: Nelson Mbanasor is getting a look though I'm not sure he is an OU level guy.

Lamar Jackson still on the radar?
Josh_M: Not really IMO.

Anything Buchanan is waiting on to flip? He not sure if he wants to?
Josh_M: That's my guess, think he likes OU a lot but hard to turn his back on the school I'm sure he grew up following.
Comment: Figured if he flipped it would be quick.

Any kids you can name that you think have a chance to flip to OU? Buchanan and Adams are copouts, fyi.
Josh_M: No one that immediately jumps to mind honestly, kind of been waiting to hear some new offers.

Is OU out on the olineman from the east coast Valentine I believe is his name?
Josh_M: No, but for all intents and purposes...yes.

I see a lot of romancing with 3-stars and JUCO's. Who are the ELITE guys giving us a visit for TCU? Are there many/
Josh_M: https://oklahoma.rivals.com... - sans Carmouche.

Choose between Southall and Bledsoe
Josh_M: Southall, I think he has a mountain of potential.

Josh, did you see Daniels Tweet adamant he is not down to OU and UM? Seemed like aa he was really going out of his way to make it more exciting. Thoughts?
Josh_M: He just hears all the talk, it happens.

You still think Daniels is recruiting for OU?
Josh_M: Don't know that I ever thought it - but have definitely heard it.

Any chance with Trayveon Williams?
Josh_M: Don't think OU is planning to get involved.

BTW, which offensive lineman that OU is recruiting is most likely to maul people like a bear?
Joe DuVall: Logan Roberson can do some work once he latches on to you. https://scontent.cdninstagr...
Josh_M: Valentin has plenty of nasty in his game.

Most improved commit '16 season?
Josh_M: Hard to argue with Logan Roberson.
Joe DuVall: Josh stole my answer. Roberson.

Most underrated current commit?
Josh_M: I think I'd lean toward Chanse Sylvie.
Joe DuVall: Cobb or Sylvie.

I know it's a year or more out, but any update with Hines for the safety/lb from '17? I've blanked on his name.
Josh_M: Okudah? I'll be seeing Okudah on Friday night, will try and have some more info there.
Reply: Yeah Okudah is who I was thinking of.

Two current commits that will be household names?
Josh_M: Jordan Parker is the only one I'd bet on.
Joe DuVall: Since everyone knows the QBs I'll cop out and say Kendall plus Jordan Parker.

Rank the top 3 OU commits. Not off ranking but just off what your rival tells you.
Josh_M: Parker - Youngquist - Cobb

Does OU have to get Abdul Adams on campus for a game to have a shot to flip?
Josh_M: Without question, no visit - no commit.
Joe DuVall: I can't think of any instance where a guy has flipped to a school 1,500 miles from home without visiting, but recruiting is a crazy game. Josh may prove me wrong.

Clearly he needs to visit, but does it need to be for a game?
Josh_M: ohh, sorry missed that part. I don't think that's a must.

Why did Abdul Adams cancel his last visit?
Josh_M: Not really sure.

Josh, you expect any more JUCO OL offers?
Josh_M: No, not really, to me it's not what the position needs, 1-2 maybe but they need HS help.

Josh, OU pushing for a certain RB out of the 2017 offers?
Josh_M: I think Dobbins is clearly their focus right now but that may be a familiarity/proximity thing.

Why is OU settling for so many 3* recruits? Is OU wrong or rivals wrong?
Josh_M: Don't think they are mutually exclusive. Again we're going to rank on NFL prospects AND a guy is going to be more highly regarded the more systems he can fit into. OU can recruit players who fit them to a T who aren't going to be a great fit elsewhere. One of the tricky aspects of rankings.

How much better can the 2017 class be than the 2016 class?
Josh_M: Can it be? Considerably but so many variables between now and then.

How many sign and place guys does OU get in this class? I'm going with Tramonda Moore and Stephen Taylor
Josh_M: I'm just going with Moore.

Next snapchat commit?
Joe DuVall: I really hope that doesn't become a thing.

Do we see a lot of guys pull the trigger at the TCU game?
Josh_M: I don't think so, just never been the way the things seem to work out for Oklahoma. Not sure what Ou can do but it's something they could afford to look at somewhat.

Current lineup/player questions/comments:

Any word on whether Sanchez will be ready for Saturday?
Josh_M: Most are saying he will be.

Starting LBs next year?
Josh_M: Obo - Alexander - Evans - DeBerry? Or perhaps they just go with more nickel

Since Frison is now practicing with the team, do you see him getting on the field at all this year?
Josh_M: Going to have to verify that.

Knowledgeable insider on TFB (Brainiacs) posted that Frison was back yesterday. He's usually on the money.
Is Frison practicing or is jotay lying?
Frison back next year?
Where are you getting the Frison stuff? I guess his Mom finally made it to Norman and straightened him out?

If Wood and Frison show up next spring, chances '16 class is down two schollies?
Joe DuVall: They're going to make Wood walk-on initially and I wouldn't count him as a scholarship until he makes it through a full Spring.

Any word on how Bobby Evans is doing on his rehab?
Josh_M: Rehab should be done, but beyond that I don't know a lot.

Do we need to worry about Siebert this Sat Nite
Joe DuVall: No more than any team worries about their kicker, IMO. Doesn't mean he's infallible.

OU Overall Team or General Sports:

Joe, anything with Marques Bolden? (Top basketball HS center and only 2016 kid OU is still recruiting)
Joe DuVall: Nothing with Marques personally. Can't get that guy on the phone. But I think OU's one of the teams running in the race, but I keep hearing Kansas is the team to beat.

If OU wins out and gets left out of CFP , what stance would you expect from bob and the powers at OU?
Josh_M: Just one to politic for next year - again this team SHOULD (as dangerous as that word can be) better next year.

When does OU leave the Big12-4+2?
Josh_M: Not a clue, but with Boren's comments over the summer, really don't think it's something a decade in the making.

Chances that OU leaves OSU and Texas here the Big 12 for greener pastures?
Josh_M: It's inevitable IMO.

Is a big 12 title game while maintaining the round robin decimation of the middle teams the nail in the coffin for the big 12?
Josh_M: Not adding two quality teams when they could have was the nail in the coffin. i've said for a long time Big 12 is just delaying the inevitable.
Joe DuVall: ^ not asking Louisville when they had the chance was a pivotal moment for this conference.

How did this team lose to Texas?
Joe DuVall: Even if you beat a team 9 times out of 10, that still leaves... one. time.

Who runs the table? OU? Osu? BU?
Josh_M: I'm guessing none. But if I picked one? I'd pick OU - think they are the most complete team in the league.

Is this OU team setting us all up for a let down, or will they go into Waco and pull one out?
Joe DuVall: I think it will be a competitive game with one of the top teams in the country that comes down to the wire. Can't be too disappointed with that result.

Josh_M: Kind of back up Joe, OU goes in and loses 35-31...no shame in that, it's a good team. Texas was the problem that punishes the Baylor loss more than it should be. Right now though, I'm leaning toward OU winning.

Who runs the table?
Josh_M: In the country? Ohio State and Houston.
Joe DuVall: Of the Power 5 schools, give me Clemson.
Josh_M: crap, yes of course Clemson.

Think I read that on a neutral field OU would be favored over everyone but Clemson, Bama and Ohio State.
Josh_M: I couldn't justify picking them as my No. 1 in the big 12 but I think they are the best team in it.
Joe DuVall: And that's why it's silly to rank teams purely on who is playing/looks the best :)

2015 OU vs Clemson score?
Joe DuVall: My guess is you'd see Clemson favored by 3-5
Josh_M: Neutral field I'd pick Clemson 31-24

Is the defense really better this year because of the "maturity" or is it the new coaches?
Joe DuVall: Probably both.

Best OU defense since?
Joe DuVall: 09
2016 defense will be the deepest since ________________.
Fair enough about 2009, just a dumpster fire type of year

Our defense front looks the best it had since 2008, over/under on total sacks needed to win this coming weekend against baylor 4+?
Joe DuVall: That 09 defense doesn't get enough credit because of their final record. I think OU would like to get 5

How many more times does 2nd-Quarter-ISU/first-50-min-of-Texas OU show up this year?
Josh_M: Once or twice, it's just about weathering the storm - these things happen to every team. You're not going to fire on all cylinders every quarter of every game.

Will OU have more success running the ball or throwing Saturday?
Joe DuVall: I would run it until Baylor showed me they could stop it all things being equal. But I bet Riley just lets the defense dictate that by how often they bring in extra dbs.

Didn't have just any idea what we were getting with the LR hire
Had no idea that we would be such a balanced offense. Really like it, playing with all our strengths.
Joe DuVall: Going under center in short yardage is something that shows me Lincoln Riley is willing to work within his personnel and situation.

Well biggest regular season stage since 2012 ND?
Joe DuVall: Hard to argue with that.
Josh_M: I don't think there is any doubt and it may end up as an appetizer to OSU on Thanksgiving weekend.

When does the smoke out of Baylor give way to fire? Seems only negative perception has been brewing even out of a lot of coaching circles in texas....
Josh_M: Hmm, I've missed some of that since - again Briles has a LOT of ties to Texas HS FB so a lot he can get away with.

When does the new rivals 250 come out?
Josh_M: We are going to start rankings meetings in the next week or two, I'd expect the next update to come before Christmas.

Least amount of OU commits in the under armor or army all American games since...?
Josh_M: the last few years? haha.

Being the carnivorous connoisseur that I am, I think bear meat would taste quite delicious.

Who you like Memphis or Houston?
Josh_M: I'd take Houston right now but it's going to be a game I make a point to watch should be a fun one.

What is your opinion of the committee? And how could we make it better?
Josh_M: I HATE that computers were taken out of the equation. Let it be a 51-49 vote favoring the computers.
Joe DuVall: To me, you find ways to take people out of it. Maybe take out OOC scheduling and let conferences determine their own winners into the playoff. Just like the NFL.

The CFB Playoff Committee is worse than the federal government (and i don't hate many things more than government). What effect does Jeff Long being the committee chair and being an SEC AD have, if any?
Josh_M: I think it has some role, I mean it's human nature that he sees more of the SEC than others. However, guy was an Asst.-AD at OU and knows Bob - has respect.

Non-Sports Stuff:

Chicken fried steak or fried chicken
Josh_M: Fried chicken...but can't go wrong either way.
Joe DuVall: Depends on the where they're from. In general, chicken fried steak.
Comment: Both in any order, add a little sweet tea to each

BTW, you can't trace my whereabouts through this chat, can you? If so, I must blow up the internet.
Josh_M: Sure can't but just in case...you've had enough Cheetos.
Joe DuVall: I know you're not at the library.

Josh_M: Alright guys! Enjoyed it...going to call this one a night!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.