ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Williams made an ass of himself last night

Yep agreed. That is why I think Caleb would have benefited immensely by sticking it out here. While he would not have won the Heisman he most certainly would have been surrounded by a team with resolve and semblance of complimentary football. That, coupled with a coach of substance\character, would have helped him much greater than the flash he is failing to live up to in the West. Dan Lanning's comments about Deion's team almost certainly are relevant with TBOW and co. as well.
Yes sir 👍.

After years of my not liking the guy, Kiffen has actually become somewhat of a likeable character of late.
Riley is a wannabe Kiffen. Kiffen would coach circles around Riley. Kiffen didnt run away from the SEC, hes taken some teams that have struggled and turned them around. Kiffen also knows that defense is important.

I agree with everything said about Riley, but Kiffin is not even close when it comes to measurable results. He's a 0.674 coach at Ole Miss, and his career post-season achievement so far is defeating Indiana in the 2021 Outback Bowl. I agree he's got a great personality and might have more character than Riley, but there's no way you can spin his coaching record, lack of signature wins, post season appearances, etc. to be ahead of Riley's.

As for the character issue, you might want to check with Tennessee fans to see what their assessment of Lane Kiffin's honesty and trustworthiness is. As for his time at USC, it was an unmitigated disaster. He was fired on the tarmac at Los Angeles International airport after getting humiliated by Arizona State 62-41.

Kiffin's story is complicated. When hired at 33 by the Vols, he was the youngest head coach in the country. He'd already been the Oakland Raiders HC at 31. As would happen to some people, he was a little full of himself. At UTemm was openly caught lying about things and other embarrassing accusations he made that proved to be groundless about Urban Meyer. He was fast and loose with the truth.

The students at UTenn loved him because he was so young and such a difference from departing, longtime coach Phil Fulmer. So after a non spectacular but encouraging beginning, they rioted when he left after one season for USC. That job was considered the best job in the country. The best by more than a few.

Pete Carroll had revived Trojan fortunes with the great Reggie Bush classes. But he'd departed likely knowing what was coming. USC had paid for a home in San Diego for Reggie's parents and he was living like all USC football players, in Los Angeles property that few students could afford. And the NCAA was about to throw the book at them.

Shortly after Pete left, that happened. They lost 20 or 30 scholarships. Older players were allowed it go to other schools, without having to sit a year, which was the way it was for everybody else in 2009. His first season at USC there were still some great players. But with the recruiting penalties and no post season hopes for two years. Their teams deteriorated. He was fired at USC, and ended up as an assistant at Alabama.

Nick Saban doesn't hire bad coaches. Kifffin also probably learned a little civility. Old Miss is his second HC job since Alabama. Ole Miss is top 15 in the country right now. Probably the 2nd best SEC West team. That will become evident or not, later this season. But the guy can coach. He always could, or he wouldn't have been hired in the NFL at 31. Or at two quality college programs before he was 35.

Truth be told, he probably embarrassed the higher ups at Tennessee, and there were certain people that wanted him gone. Part of the riots was that feeling the the leaders of the university ushered him out the door. I won't be surprised if sometime later, he doesn't make a final four in the football playoffs, or even better. I doubt he can do it at Ole Miss, but maybe he ended up being the Saban replacement.

Reactions: 22LR
Top NIL $$$ is starting to appear to be a great equalizer on the field. How can a player study, watch game film, practice, go to team meetings, count all his money, spend that money and fly off to NYC to video his next TV commercial... and still be fine tuned, prepared and ready to go? Doesn't seem to be enough hours in a week for that. There has to be fatigue that goes along with it.
Just a thought but do you really think he gives a crap about his education? He sees $$$ in my opinion and could care less about his studies. Wouldn’t matter anyway because I am pretty sure they would give him a passing grade.

Just a thought but do you really think he gives a crap about his education? He sees $$$ in my opinion and could care less about his studies. Wouldn’t matter anyway because I am pretty sure they would give him a passing grade.

Totally agree. Schooling has only been an opportunity to showcase his athletic talents in order to make the most money possible.

Been hearing some rumblings from Ole Miss fans I know saying Kiffin needs to start producing to match what he is being paid. His new contract that runs from 2023 to 2026 pays him 8.75 million in 2023 snd 2024 and bumps up to 9 mil for 2025 and 2026.
Everyone in the SEC wants to be Bama or Georgia and thats just not realistic imo. Kiffin is probably the best they will ever get but fans want lots of wins and Championships and they want them now. But at almost 10 mil a year I don't blame them.

Top NIL $$$ is starting to appear to be a great equalizer on the field. How can a player study, watch game film, practice, go to team meetings, count all his money, spend that money and fly off to NYC to video his next TV commercial... and still be fine tuned, prepared and ready to go? Doesn't seem to be enough hours in a week for that. There has to be fatigue that goes along with it.

For most of us in the Free World that is called a J.O.B. And unlike most of us in the Free World he gets paid very well to do his job.

I guess the world has passed by this old man. Student athletes were at one time both students and athletes. My fault for thinking too highly of college sports in 2023.

As would happen to some people, he was a little full of himself. At UTenn was openly caught lying about things and other embarrassing accusations he made that proved to be groundless about Urban Meyer. He was fast and loose with the truth.

Yeah I know. Reading though some of these posts, it kind of funny comparing Lane Kiffin's integrity to Lincoln Riley's. It's kind of like trying to parse which snake oil salesman is more honest.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
I've heard that when he's drafted first, which he expects, that he wants as part of his first NFL contract to have part ownership of the team. Since the NFL has had a scale for rookies drafted for awhile, the might be an interesting negotiation.

I've heard that when he's drafted first, which he expects, that he wants as part of his first NFL contract to have part ownership of the team. Since the NFL has had a scale for rookies drafted for awhile, the might be an interesting negotiation.
That’s what I’ve heard too AND he says he won’t go to the NFL after this year unless he goes to one of four teams he wants to play for.

I can't imagine this.

The are a number of owners in the NFL who are fools.
Has there been one yet to give even a 1% stake in ownership on demand? Again, ain't a kid one worth that imo. Williams ain't earned anything like that. He's not all that. Maybe could a been had he stayed with a winner.

I guess the world has passed by this old man. Student athletes were at one time both students and athletes. My fault for thinking too highly of college sports in 2023.
The bar has definitely been lowered.

Has there been one yet to give even a 1% stake in ownership on demand? Again, ain't a kid one worth that imo. Williams ain't earned anything like that. He's not all that. Maybe could a been had he stayed with a winner.
Not to compare apples to oranges but Mahones and his wife were given part ownership of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Not to compare apples to oranges but Mahones and his wife were given part ownership of the Kansas City Chiefs.
I think he's earned a little and the Hunts can afford it. Mahomes is now the best player in football. Maybe this assures he stays.

I saw him play one high school game in the playoffs against a guy who went to TCU but ended up a linebacker. Both have ended up in the NFL. I could get the other guy's name in a multiple choice test, but names now often elude me. The people at Whitehouse raved about Mahomes and he was really good. But to me, the other guy looked like a better athlete, just not a better quarterback.

But l don't think anyone thought he'd be this good.

Link? I know he’s got partial ownership in the Royals & the 2 soccer clubs, but this is the first I’ve heard anything about the Chiefs, & being as close as I am location-wise, I get force fed KC info on a daily basis.He has said he’d like to own a FB team when he gets done playing though.

If you have ownership in a team you cannot play in the NFL, that's why Brady is still waiting on his role with the raiders.

I think he's earned a little and the Hunts can afford it. Mahomes is now the best player in football. Maybe this assures he stays.

I saw him play one high school game in the playoffs against a guy who went to TCU but ended up a linebacker. Both have ended up in the NFL. I could get the other guy's name in a multiple choice test, but names now often elude me. The people at Whitehouse raved about Mahomes and he was really good. But to me, the other guy looked like a better athlete, just not a better quarterback.

But l don't think anyone thought he'd be this good.
Mahomes is nothing more than a Russell Wilson . Will never ever be compared to the greats. Flashes in the pan. Imo.

• Haha
Reactions: 22LR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT