ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Williams made an ass of himself last night

It's really not his fault that the camera kept on him long after the loss. When you lose one like that, a field goal on the last play, it's hard to take. For anybody. It's part of being the returning Heisman winner. He gets lots of air time, some of it unwanted.

I'm not a Caleb fan. When people were saying things about how good we'd have been if he stayed, I knew he had to leave, because BV's coaching philosophy was the polar opposite of what he values. But he is a talent. If he weren't cursed with having Grinch as the defensive coordinator everywhere he goes, who knows how much he'd be winning. I personally won't be buying products he reps for. And I'm tired of seeing his face on TV. That these losses kind of poop on those products only gladdens those losses for me more.

One of the things that the portal dynamic has had on college football, is that who can really coach, matters more than it ever has. And it's always mattered a lot. If Caleb had attached his star to another coach, it might have been very interesting. LR and Caleb are the perfect match, and so fun to pull against.

I think you have to read into it, to see what I saw after the game, as it being about him. I just disagree with you.

It's really not his fault that the camera kept on him long after the loss. When you lose one like that, a field goal on the last play, it's hard to take. For anybody. It's part of being the returning Heisman winner. He gets lots of air time, some of it unwanted.

I'm not a Caleb fan. When people were saying things about how good we'd have been if he stayed, I knew he had to leave, because BV's coaching philosophy was the polar opposite of what he values. But he is a talent. If he weren't cursed with having Grinch as the defensive coordinator everywhere he goes, who knows how much he'd be winning. I personally won't be buying products he reps for. And I'm tired of seeing his face on TV. That these losses kind of poop on those products only gladdens those losses for me more.

One of the things that the portal dynamic has had on college football, is that who can really coach, matters more than it ever has. And it's always mattered a lot. If Caleb had attached his star to another coach, it might have been very interesting. LR and Caleb are the perfect match, and so fun to pull against.

I think you have to read into it, to see what I saw after the game, as it being about him. I just disagree with you.
That’s okay, Plaino. Not the first time and it won’t be the last.

Caleb is insanely talented. But that talent might not take him much farther. He lacks many intangibles that make a QB a true NFL superstar.

It's also time to realize the failures aren't all on or even mostly on Grinch. I have mentioned before that a handful of defensive coaches figured out how to stop Riley's "amazing" offense while he was at Oklahoma.

Lincoln is a fraud and he's getting exposed. Bob and Joe were tricked by a con artist and Lincoln knew if he ended up in the SEC he'd be exposed in short order. So he ran to the PAC where it should have been even easier but his culture of softness was turbo charged in California. It's crumbling faster than anybody could have imagined and it couldn't happen to a better POS fan base, and the egomaniacs at the front line.

Oklahoma dodged a MASSIVE bullet in both Riley and Caleb.

He appears to be mad because the USC loss affected HIM more than the team. I’m glad he went with Riley but regret that he ever played at Oklahoma. What a dick.
I’m glad Williams won the 2021 Texas game and played a huge part of a 10-win season in 2021, although I watched one of the least focused and well coached 10-win teams I ever saw that year.
As an OU fan I believe Williams and Riley are getting what they deserve at USC.

Top NIL $$$ is starting to appear to be a great equalizer on the field. How can a player study, watch game film, practice, go to team meetings, count all his money, spend that money and fly off to NYC to video his next TV commercial... and still be fine tuned, prepared and ready to go? Doesn't seem to be enough hours in a week for that. There has to be fatigue that goes along with it.

Top NIL $$$ is starting to appear to be a great equalizer on the field. How can a player study, watch game film, practice, go to team meetings, count all his money, spend that money and fly off to NYC to video his next TV commercial... and still be fine tuned, prepared and ready to go? Doesn't seem to be enough hours in a week for that. There has to be fatigue that goes along with it.
Study, as in schooling "studies"?

Not sure, but I imagine since he's in LA, they did the filming there in the summer or maybe NY in the summer. But I doubt he's doing much filming except interviews.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
It's really not his fault that the camera kept on him long after the loss.
What about before Utah's last drive? After he ran it in for the go-ahead (set up by a kick return - not his underperforming offense) he sat on the bench in a lounging position as if to say: "I did my part - we lose now and its all on the D." He did not watch the D, did not encourage them, nothing (which I believe is his M.O.). Its all about #13, who threw 2 picks and had zero passing TD.

Part of this is on Riley - he never united the entire team like Venables does. Its focus on being a QB whisperer and pray something good happens on the other side. Caleb has gone beyond that to having contempt for his own D.

I thought the same thing watching that game last night, when it was over it seemed to me Caleb was feeling sorry for himself and what that loss means for him going forward. But I don't know what the young man was thinking or feeling.
I did get a good chuckle out of it all. Will be interesting to see who Riley is forced to cut loose at Seasons end.

Reactions: iasooner2000
I don't disagree with anything you said, Phaeded. He is all about him, and LR knew than when he recruited Caleb AND his daddy. They have been moving in this direction since his recruitment started over five years ago. He's going to make a ton of money as long as he's healthy, and already does. National commercials using you and your name pay well. He'll have a bunch of plaudits. But I just don't think his long term he'll be a great NFL player. But look at Lamar Jackson. Not quite the throwing threat, but a similar threat with his legs, making him hard to defend. And Lamar is faster.

So Williams will make a ton of money. His disadvantage is that he'll go to the team with the worst record in the NFL. Just imagine the combination of Belichick and Caleb Williams. Talk about a soap opera.

I’ve heard about some pretty outrageous demands Williams is excepting before signing a NFL contract. I don’t believe them to be true or have confirmed he’s actually made these statements. Regardless, Williams appears to be pretty full of himself compared to other former Heisman winners so I wouldn’t be totally shocked if it turns out to be real.

Whatever Williams is or isn't, I prefer Gabriel's character and team-first mentality and his finding ways to win games.
Hope Gabriel's influence on Arnold will pay of in the future and I suspect it's happening.
Not a better young man for Arnold to look up to and learn from than DG. I also believe Arnold is DG's biggest fan, he celebrates with DG on the sidelines a lot after scoring drives.

He's maybe the best Backyard QB I've seen, like already posted, his skill set will not work in the NFL. I appreciate that he stuck around and played the bowl game, before joining LR. If he had half of Rattlers skill set, he could be the best ever but his throwing motion, average fundamentals and hero ball, are really glaring issues.

Bennie Wells and Alex Grinch are the biggest issues, USC seems soft and we all know about that Grinch defense. Funny part, defense was not the issue, in either loss. This team seems to be distracted and as we saw with LR last season, it's starts at the Top and LR. looks like a coach that wants to bolt for the NFL.

My worthless .02, Caleb would have flourished if he had withstood the growing pains we suffered last year. He would have built some character and realized his chosen profession is not entirely about the money. There appears to be an aspect of the game he is missing. Unfortunately, I believe his parents and certainly his current coach have contributed to that.

I'm happy he was here though. We had one of the most remarkable comebacks against Texas and he was the primary reason. He made our team better. I hope he grows and matures in character beyond the boat anchors of his immediate influencers. I would love to have him QBing for the Steelers but I am sure that is a pipe-dream. Regardless, I totally understand the disdain many here have. NIL, and the hype train that was Riley's departure were just too big of a draw for him.

My worthless .02, Caleb would have flourished if he had withstood the growing pains we suffered last year. He would have built some character and realized his chosen profession is not entirely about the money. There appears to be an aspect of the game he is missing. Unfortunately, I believe his parents and certainly his current coach have contributed to that.

I'm happy he was here though. We had one of the most remarkable comebacks against Texas and he was the primary reason. He made our team better. I hope he grows and matures in character beyond the boat anchors of his immediate influencers. I would love to have him QBing for the Steelers but I am sure that is a pipe-dream. Regardless, I totally understand the disdain many here have. NIL, and the hype train that was Riley's departure were just too big of a draw for him.

I may be waaayyy off base, but I don’t think Williams could play for Brent. But we will never know.

I may be waaayyy off base, but I don’t think Williams could play for Brent. But we will never know.
I know Brent campaigned for him to stay. I watched the interview.

I also think Caleb would have naturally gravitated towards Brent since it may be his first example of true leadership. Being led by example is an amazing motivator. You are right though, we will never know.

I think BV and Lebby did all they could to keep him and were disapointed when he chose to leave, everyone knew he would. Those big city bright lights and money were just too much for him to turn down.
Probably smartest move for him as he would not have won the Heisman with last yrs OU team.

Whatever Williams is or isn't, I prefer Gabriel's character and team-first mentality and his finding ways to win games.
Hope Gabriel's influence on Arnold will pay of in the future and I suspect it's happening.
I don't think Caleb would make a good leader of a Brent Venables team. I share your view about preferences. Besides, we're 7-0 and ranked 6th. Caleb and Lincoln are 6-2 ranked 24th with more pretty immediate losses on the way. What BV is doing, works.

He appears to be mad because the USC loss affected HIM more than the team. I’m glad he went with Riley but regret that he ever played at Oklahoma. What a dick.
I totally agree, and I love every bit of how things are unfolding for Williams and Riley. Riley cheated OU out out of their potential with his shitty coaching choices!

Not a good look for Caleb at the end of the game. Bad body language. History has a habit of repeating itself.

caleb-williams.jpg

I can't see that he is so much more talented than any of the other top quarterbacks right now. He will make some plays here and there, but he also makes a lot of mistakes. He had several stinker games while he was at OU as well. The media also wants us to believe that Deion is the second coming of Vince Lombardi

I wonder if Annie & her husband are still on TBOW’s payroll ?
Do we know the source of that rumor? It seems questionable to me that her husband would be on board with working with Riley if that were true. I would literally break Riley in half in a similar scenario so I can't imagine another red-blooded guy wouldn't try to do the same.

What about before Utah's last drive? After he ran it in for the go-ahead (set up by a kick return - not his underperforming offense) he sat on the bench in a lounging position as if to say: "I did my part - we lose now and its all on the D." He did not watch the D, did not encourage them, nothing (which I believe is his M.O.). Its all about #13, who threw 2 picks and had zero passing TD.

Part of this is on Riley - he never united the entire team like Venables does. Its focus on being a QB whisperer and pray something good happens on the other side. Caleb has gone beyond that to having contempt for his own D.
Great post Phaeded.
Williams revealed to me that he’s not a team player in the loss to Utah.
I have been saying that OU is better off without Riley. Now I’m including Williams, even with his great talent.
The great insights of Skip Bayless and Colin Cowterd may not agree but since neither have any credibility, who gives a sh*t?

Sham I swore an oath of secrecy to my source that I will abide by until that can be removed but I recall it being a shock to more than his
Mrs naturally a few years ago

Reactions: ShamWowed
Sham I swore an oath of secrecy to my source that I will abide by until that can be removed but I recall it being a shock to more than his
Mrs naturally a few years ago
I respect that but I just can't comprehend a dude was cool with that unless they are into swapping\open relationships.

I know Brent campaigned for him to stay. I watched the interview.

I also think Caleb would have naturally gravitated towards Brent since it may be his first example of true leadership. Being led by example is an amazing motivator. You are right though, we will never know.
Brent's a man of character, tbow's a snake oil salesman. Caleb shoulda stayed. You know he's pissed his coach can't field a defense. Kid made a mistake following LR no doubt about it.
Lincoln's in the lane kiffen class of coaches.

Last edited:
Brent's a man of character, tbow's a snake oil salesman. Caleb shoulda stayed. You know he's pissed his coach can't field a defense. Kid made a mistake following LR no doubt about it.
Lincoln's in the lane kiffen class of coaches.
Yep agreed. That is why I think Caleb would have benefited immensely by sticking it out here. While he would not have won the Heisman he most certainly would have been surrounded by a team with resolve and semblance of complimentary football. That, coupled with a coach of substance\character, would have helped him much greater than the flash he is failing to live up to in the West. Dan Lanning's comments about Deion's team almost certainly are relevant with TBOW and co. as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT