ADVERTISEMENT

Buried my daddy last week...

Jakeleg Jake

Walk-on candidate
Sep 27, 2004
Football just isn't going to be the same for me any more. We always watched games together and when I lived away we would call each other after Tennessee games. He was a huge Tennessee Vol fan who went all the way back to General Neyland. He was also a huge Coach Bud Wilkinson fan....my gosh I miss him.

Football just isn't going to be the same for me any more. We always watched games together and when I lived away we would call each other after Tennessee games. He was a huge Tennessee Vol fan who went all the way back to General Neyland. He was also a huge Coach Bud Wilkinson fan....my gosh I miss him.

Oh man.... so sorry to hear that, Jake. My thoughts are with you.

Situations where you miss him will continue to be revealed to you...Things you haven't even thought of, yet. Some of them will blindside you. That's a good time to pull out some of your Great Memories and re-focus on to those. Glad you have them! Try to do it one day at a time, and DO remember, you have Friends, and Sooner Family, right here.

So Sorry!

Thanks guys...appreciate you. Yes many memories and since this is an OU board and both Tennessee and Oklahoma have such rich histories I think the best memory I ever had was watching the 1968 Orange Bowl with my dad and little brother when I was a kid. Still remember Eddie Hinton running wild in the first half and Tennessee mounting a furious comeback in the 2nd half only to lose when Karl Kremser's 41 yard FG sailed wide right. Maybe some of the old timers here remember that game. My dad and I watched the 2015 thriller together and I told him recently we would watch the next OU vs UT game together. He smiled and said I would probably watch the game without him but to think good thoughts about him while I was cheering the Vols on. Sadly my daddy and brother are both gone now...just hurts like heck.

Lost my dad 21 years ago next month. It's one of those permanent hurts, but it gets easier to deal with over time. Not easy. Just more bearable.

I'm sorry for your loss. I think for a lot of us, at least my age, our dad's were products of the Depression and WWII.They didn't easily express affection to their sons. But sports was something we had in common. And there were particular passions. The Sooners for example. It allowed us to relate to each other in a way that was meaningful to both of us, even if we really didn't understand the dynamic.

Last edited:
Thanks guys...appreciate you. Yes many memories and since this is an OU board and both Tennessee and Oklahoma have such rich histories I think the best memory I ever had was watching the 1968 Orange Bowl with my dad and little brother when I was a kid. Still remember Eddie Hinton running wild in the first half and Tennessee mounting a furious comeback in the 2nd half only to lose when Karl Kremser's 41 yard FG sailed wide right. Maybe some of the old timers here remember that game. My dad and I watched the 2015 thriller together and I told him recently we would watch the next OU vs UT game together. He smiled and said I would probably watch the game without him but to think good thoughts about him while I was cheering the Vols on. Sadly my daddy and brother are both gone now...just hurts like heck.

Jake, I remember watching that game with my dad, as well. I think he stood the whole 4th quarter (we were watching at home), and I KNOW that he downed a whole bottle of Pepto Bismol during that game, the last swig right before the kick.

Keep those memories alive.

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like you have some wonderful memories

Jake, Plaino pretty much summed it up for me as well (even though he is Much older ;))

I'm sorry for your loss. I think for a lot of us, at least my age, our dad's were products of the Depression and WWII.They didn't easily express affection to their sons. But sports was something we had in common. And there were particular passions. The Sooners for example. It allowed us to relate to each other in a way that was meaningful to both of us, even if we really didn't understand the dynamic.

[QUOTE="Plainosooner, post: 1741761, member: 1732"

I think for a lot of us, at least my age, our dad's were products of the Depression and WWII.They didn't easily express affection to their sons. But sports was something we had in common. And there were particular passions. The Sooners for example. It allowed us to relate to each other in a way that was meaningful to both of us, even if we really didn't understand the dynamic.[/QUOTE]

Truth right here. No hugs from my dad growing up, and I don't remember him ever telling me he loved me, but there was never any question in my mind that he did.

Now he slings those three words around like crazy, and all I can do is think WTF?

:D

[QUOTE="Plainosooner, post: 1741761, member: 1732"

I think for a lot of us, at least my age, our dad's were products of the Depression and WWII.They didn't easily express affection to their sons. But sports was something we had in common. And there were particular passions. The Sooners for example. It allowed us to relate to each other in a way that was meaningful to both of us, even if we really didn't understand the dynamic.

Truth right here. No hugs from my dad growing up, and I don't remember him ever telling me he loved me, but there was never any question in my mind that he did.

Now he slings those three words around like crazy, and all I can do is think WTF?

:D[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Major post, V-man.

Great words of comfort from all you wonderful Okie folks...and I appreciate them. My dad never hugged me and my brother and told us he loved us until he had his heart surgery in 2001...then he changed after that. He also never allowed a dog in the house when I was a kid but that changed as well. He had 2 Weims and a Pug that were his favorites. He wanted to be buried with the ashes of the Pug that he loved dearly. The last thing he told me was he loved me and I told him he was my hero...I held his head in my hands as he passed the next day...never thought I would have the guts to do that but I guess the Lord gives us strength we never envisioned having. Thanks guys...I knew I came to the right place to feel better...God Bless you.

Very sorry to hear about your loss Jake. I will keep your family in my prayers. Celebrate how you are blessed to have many cherished memories with your father. Losing a father is a terrible loss to overcome. Instead of being sad about the loss, rather think of the great times you two had together and it should put a great big smile on your face.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT