ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING...Mixon Coming Back ????

I see Mixon and Molitor equally to blame for what happened.
But the controversy that figures to escalate over this for as long as Mixon is around may give Stoops and OU a major black eye, especially coming on the heals of Stoops' taking in Dorial Green-Beckum, retaining Frank Shannon and his recruitment of Justin Chaisson.
I am as concerned as much about OU's image as I am about the success of its football team and I don't want OU to be labelled a rogue program.....again.

Reactions: iasooner1
He probably doesn't want to go pro with the spotlight on him. One more year of staying out of trouble. Maybe our black eye will heal.

Interesting observation. I could see how he definitely does not want to go to tryouts, etc. with the negative attention swirling around him. I wonder how Joe felt about Bob saying at his press conference on Weds. that if incident occurred today instead of 2.5 years ago, that he'd be dismissed from the team. With that said, I'm wondering if Joe is waiting to see how much scrutiny he's under while in New Orleans, which may play a role in whether he comes back to OU or opts for the NFL. My gut feeling is he comes back for another year.

Interesting observation. I could see how he definitely does not want to go to tryouts, etc. with the negative attention swirling around him. I wonder how Joe felt about Bob saying at his press conference on Weds. that if incident occurred today instead of 2.5 years ago, that he'd be dismissed from the team. With that said, I'm wondering if Joe is waiting to see how much scrutiny he's under while in New Orleans, which may play a role in whether he comes back to OU or opts for the NFL. My gut feeling is he comes back for another year.
He better be aware of every move. Someone will be watching and waiting for him to slip up. He will be scrutinized on everything.

Reactions: iasooner1
I believe Mixon is persona non grata in the NFL right now and will not have a choice. If he leaves school I would guess he was encouraged to do so. The fact he continues to have issues with controlling his anger (parking ticket incident and on the verge of a penalty often after getting tackled) indicates a lack of growth on his part. I cheered as loud as anyone in the stadium when he broke the long run against OSU; then I saw the video. I should have trusted my gut when the story broke about him hitting a woman...I was wrong, no excuses (see how easy that is)? I hope Mixon never plays for OU again I know I will not be cheering him on.

I didn't see Bob's press conference so did he explain what's changed from 2.5 years ago? That sounds like he regrets his decision.

After seeing the video, Joe Mixon needs to move on. No defense for what happened. Someone in the NFL will take a chance on him. Bob Stoops needs to begin damage control.

I didn't see Bob's press conference so did he explain what's changed from 2.5 years ago? That sounds like he regrets his decision.
He said he believes the world has changed since the incident, and that Mixon would have been off the team right away. He said he hoped Mixon could redeem himself. “There’s no recovering from these incidents anymore.” hum.....did this black our eye even more.

Last edited:
He said he believes the world has changed since the incident, and that Mixon would have been off the team right away. He said he hoped Mixon could redeem himself. “There’s no recovering from these incidents anymore.” hum.....did this black our eye even more.

"The world has changed"......I don't see that at all with regard to what happened. I would have thought Bob would have a better statement prepared.

I truly suggest that everyone actually take a moment to watch the vid of the Bob's presser. It would help you form a more educated guess as to what he was attempting to say. Personally speaking, I think he nailed it. There has been a lot of change in the past 2 1/2 yrs, Baylor's transgressions come to mind.

As far as Mixon returning, I've always thought he would return. I just don't see him having his lawyers release the vid and then jumping into the NFL draft. It just doesn't make sense.

He was touching about how the public blowback and demands for punishment are far worse nowadays. He certainly wasn't implying that beating women in the old days was okay. God almighty....
You said it better than he did. My hell they ran it along the bottom of Espn 2 days ago, and it read terrible with just a small sentence, the bastards.

Living in Minnesota, around no Sooner fans, many of the old gents really talking about it in the coffee shop when the video came out. It is hard to defend. Some talking about Mike Stoops and his anger issues. It is what it is. I love OU, WILL ALWAYS DEFEND THEIR HONOR. :D

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
Man his choice of words, is a slap in the face. I guess beating women in the old days was okay...........
It wasn't okay then and it isn't okay now.

Neither is possession of hydrocodone that you don't have a prescription for, drug paraphernalia, possession of a fake ID, or felony possession of marijuana... or assaulting anyone...

While Bob made his decision with Boren involved, how much was Boren involved with those at OU who reviewed the prior actions of Molitor? Was there one?

The higher standard that an athlete is held to is understandable at times. Then there are instances like this one, where punishment was doled out, probation and community service completed, and a full years suspension served. That is not all. He will live with this the rest of his life. It will be mentioned forever. It is his new shadow, despite the fact that he was the one to cooperate with police, and despite the fact that he was the one attacked.

Had justice been properly served, Amelia Molitor would have been awaiting transfer from Cleveland County Jail to prison and would have never had the opportunity to assault Joe Mixon...

When this incident first happened, I personally thought Mixon was gone. Every institution has issues. Let's say, I doubt Mixon will or is at the top of Stoops favorite athlete. None of us were there and heard Mixon side.

Bob did well considering. He was much more prepared than what I had imagined. He appeared to be shooting from the hip with a few talking points which were planned: noting 2 1/2 years numerous times, he and administration believed the video would be released (i.e. We did not count on the video being sealed), his "shortcoming" of having too much faith in young men and how the pressure of today's society does not allow for second chances.

On Espn there is a s a video from Trevor Matich, he really helped us out. Someone copy that video and post.

Bob did well considering. He was much more prepared than what I had imagined. He appeared to be shooting from the hip with a few talking points which were planned: noting 2 1/2 years numerous times, he and administration believed the video would be released (i.e. We did not count on the video being sealed), his "shortcoming" of having too much faith in young men and how the pressure of today's society does not allow for second chances.
I completely appreciate Bob having the mentality of having faith in young men and wanting to give them second chances. I don't agree with what Mixon did, but I also don't think it's something that is so egregious that Mixon's life should be completely ruined and his future in football completely taken away from him. Bob understands that nowadays the public perception of handling these types of events calls for nothing short of dismissal, but I do think how Mixon has handled himself the last 2.5 years shows Bob was correct in giving him a second chance. I know Mixon had the run-in with the parking ticket guy, but damn it's not like Mixon has made a habit of being a woman abuser.

I completely appreciate Bob having the mentality of having faith in young men and wanting to give them second chances. I don't agree with what Mixon did, but I also don't think it's something that is so egregious that Mixon's life should be completely ruined and his future in football completely taken away from him. Bob understands that nowadays the public perception of handling these types of events calls for nothing short of dismissal, but I do think how Mixon has handled himself the last 2.5 years shows Bob was correct in giving him a second chance. I know Mixon had the run-in with the parking ticket guy, but damn it's not like Mixon has made a habit of being a woman abuser.
Billy, can you post the video from Trevor off espn? I totally agree with your post. Well said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT