ADVERTISEMENT

Bob Gibson dies.

Bob Gibson was one of my all-time favorites, and one of the most intimidating pitchers ever. I'm pretty sure the reason they lowered the pitching mound was because of him. Not only was he a great pitcher, he was also a pretty damned good hitter. RIP.

Of all the guys I remember from my teen years, Gibson and Drysdale were the two guys whom you just didn't dig in against. I read somewhere that every game Gibby faced the Pirates, that he threw at Roberto Clemente at least once. And Clemente hated him for it. I was listening to the Cardinals radio broadcast, the night Roberto hit a liner back at Gibson, breaking his leg. I believe it was 1967. Not sure anybody could do that intentionally, but I believe Roberto would have, if he could.

Amazingly, Gibson pitched to three more batters, before collapsing on the mound with a broken shin bone.

A year later, in 1968, the rules greatly favored pitchers. They had raised the mound a year or two earlier to 15 inches and Gibson took full advantage. His ERA that season was 1.12 if I remember correctly. Pretty remarkable, by a remarkable man.

Rest in peace.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner1
In 1969, MLB lowered the mound from 15 inches to 10 inches, decreased the strike zone to be to the top of the knees to the armpit (rather than between the knees and shoulders) and mandated to be vigilante against doctored baseballs as pitching had become too dominate.
Some of the reasons were:
Gibson's 1.12 ERA.
Seven starters had ERA'S under 2.00.
Yastrzemski won the AL batting crown with a .301 average.
Seven teams had batting averages of .230 or less.
It worked as the offense jumped from 6.84 runs per game to 8.14 runs per game.

Last edited:
Bob Gibson was a great pitcher. At one time before he was pitching for the Cardinals he was playing in an amateur baseball league in Crofton Nebraska.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT