ADVERTISEMENT

Bob changing mind on brother Mike?

Agree BillyRay....but I also believe the decline of the conference, in all fairness to TCU and Baylor, has played a part. Nebraska and Texas A&M left, OU and Texas have declined, and the ten team format hurts the conference in the selection of playoff appearances....plus Baylor and TCU have not yet become "brand names".

Gotta say I do agree with you here CT to a point. We see this I think most in recruiting. OU just doesn't seem to be making the Top 5 of the elite caliber athletes coming out of high school like it once did early in Bob's tenure. Seems especially the last 2-3 years, OU is having to recruit 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th option kids more and more. The Big XII being left out of the playoff last year was just a brutal hit to the perception of the conference.

But even with the decline of the conference, OU hasn't been able to capitalize on it. You would think as the conference declines, that OU would take advantage and dominate. But OU has only one outright conference title in the last 6 seaosns. OU has declined faster than the conference as a whole I suppose. But oddly enough, Baylor has managed to go the other direction and take it's football program to a level it's never been.

Great linebackers with a very good D Line and the secondary has a shut down corner on one side and a lot of good talent mixed in throughout rest of Back end.

You have nothing of substance to defend your dumb comments. Beat it dumb ass

I like your style dfw...reminds me of me, before I got all mellow and reformed.

Great linebackers with a very good D Line and the secondary has a shut down corner on one side and a lot of good talent mixed in throughout rest of Back end.

You have nothing of substance to defend your dumb comments. Beat it dumb ass

You're replacing 3 NFL Dlinemen and an NFL corner and you believe you're going to be a top 20 unit this year and you're calling ME dumb? Hahahahahaha...mmmkay :0)

100 bucks right now...I say you will not be Top 20 - now, you pick: total or scoring defense?

Mike Stoops did a great job for Bob his first time around, but offenses are much different today than then. I don't feel Mike is as good a defensive coach against teams like TCU, Baylor, or even Riley's new offense will be. Last year I was thinking that Mike would find a spot in the SEC or Big 10 where his talents are best utilized. Now, I'm not too sure given the way Ohio State has began to move other conference teams to the similar pass/wide open offenses. I wasn't that happy about Bob keeping him on board, but I understand why he did and have posted such before, i.e., as dfw posted, Bob and Mike are a package deal." I am glad that Bob made the defensive coaching changes he did, but I wish he had gone at least one step further and replaced Tim Kish. Moving Mike to DE coach was a good move on Bob's part, IMO. IMHO, there are only four things that can happen that will cause Mike Stoops to leave OU. 1 - He gets another chance to be HC. 2 - Bob leaves OU. 3 - Mark Stoops hires him at Kentucky. 4 - This year's defense is so shitty that Mike aggressively looks and finds another job. None of these are likely to happen.

You're replacing 3 NFL Dlinemen and an NFL corner and you believe you're going to be a top 20 unit this year and you're calling ME dumb? Hahahahahaha...mmmkay :0)

100 bucks right now...I say you will not be Top 20 - now, you pick: total or scoring defense?
If you are referring to Wilson at corner I am LMAO.... Did you watch the Baylor game?? I would take air over Wilson.

If you are referring to Wilson at corner I am LMAO.... Did you watch the Baylor game?? I would take air over Wilson.

Yes I watched that game. Mikey was a board favorite after that game making his corners line up 15 yards off the ball LMAO!!!!

They was the game that got him put in the press box after lambasting Wilson on the sideline, when it was CLEARLY his fault for concocting such a garbage defensive scheme on the fly.

Yes I watched that game. Mikey was a board favorite after that game making his corners line up 15 yards off the ball LMAO!!!!

They was the game that got him put in the press box after lambasting Wilson on the sideline, when it was CLEARLY his fault for concocting such a garbage defensive scheme on the fly.
How are the Pokes looking this upcoming season Clinton? Any goods or bads you can share? I've been so busy this summer I haven't been able to keep up to date.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
The goods are there - athletic all over, experienced D outside of DT, starting Oline should be solid if they stay healthy

The bad - DT depth is unknown with Darrion Daniels slated to play immediately. Safety hasn't produced a difference maker yet. Tailback is an unknown, but if Chris Carson is the real deal we might be OK.

The goods are there - athletic all over, experienced D outside of DT, starting Oline should be solid if they stay healthy

The bad - DT depth is unknown with Darrion Daniels slated to play immediately. Safety hasn't produced a difference maker yet. Tailback is an unknown, but if Chris Carson is the real deal we might be OK.

Gundy staying with Rudolph as starter or will there be a QB battle this month? I think I recall Gundy saying Rudolph was the guy going forward at some point earlier this year.

Reactions: Section22Sooner
He's been the starter since the spring. I'm still concerned about our ability to take pressure off of him running the ball. Salako the kid from UAB who's playing left tackle will certainly help.

Mike Stoops did a great job for Bob his first time around, but offenses are much different today than then. I don't feel Mike is as good a defensive coach against teams like TCU, Baylor, or even Riley's new offense will be. Last year I was thinking that Mike would find a spot in the SEC or Big 10 where his talents are best utilized. Now, I'm not too sure given the way Ohio State has began to move other conference teams to the similar pass/wide open offenses. I wasn't that happy about Bob keeping him on board, but I understand why he did and have posted such before, i.e., as dfw posted, Bob and Mike are a package deal." I am glad that Bob made the defensive coaching changes he did, but I wish he had gone at least one step further and replaced Tim Kish. Moving Mike to DE coach was a good move on Bob's part, IMO. IMHO, there are only four things that can happen that will cause Mike Stoops to leave OU. 1 - He gets another chance to be HC. 2 - Bob leaves OU. 3 - Mark Stoops hires him at Kentucky. 4 - This year's defense is so shitty that Mike aggressively looks and finds another job. None of these are likely to happen.
Its not just TCU or Baylor. W. Virginia lit us up as did Clemson and many others. As far as #4 goes, Mike will be going low down on the totem pole if we have another sub par defensive season. He might be looking at a Tulsa or Arkansas State.

Reactions: BillyRay
Its not just TCU or Baylor. W. Virginia lit us up as did Clemson and many others. As far as #4 goes, Mike will be going low down on the totem pole if we have another sub par defensive season. He might be looking at a Tulsa or Arkansas State.
Bob and Mike are starting to remind me of Jimmy and Billy Carter during the 1970's.

Bob will not allow Mike to fail. Not saying Bob won't fire him if the D does not show improvement this year, but Bob will become a Co-D Coordinator to right the ship if that's what it takes.

This was my thinking last season but it didn't happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT