ADVERTISEMENT

Bob changing mind on brother Mike?

PryorFan

Sooner starter
Dec 26, 2004
Check out this article in the DMN. Disturbing news that the decision to put Mike up in the press box is not final, he may stay on the sidelines! You can kiss our defense good-bye at mid season if Mike is allowed to stay on the sidelines. It happened at Zona and every year he has been back with the Sooners. It's obvious Bob will take the fall before firing a brother.

"DMN: On his moving his brother to the press box for games:

Stoops: “Well we haven’t decided that actually yet, we’re working toward that and experimenting with it spring and summer, so we’ll see, but we haven’t made any final determinations…What I did like in the spring was that he could see substitution patterns faster and easier, so we’ll see.”

Check out this article in the DMN. Disturbing news that the decision to put Mike up in the press box is not final, he may stay on the sidelines! You can kiss our defense good-bye at mid season if Mike is allowed to stay on the sidelines. It happened at Zona and every year he has been back with the Sooners. It's obvious Bob will take the fall before firing a brother.

Stoops: “Well we haven’t decided that actually yet, we’re working toward that and experimenting with it spring and summer, so we’ll see, but we haven’t made any final determinations…What I did like in the spring was that he could see substitution patterns faster and easier, so we’ll see.”
I've always said there is no way Bob would ever fire Mike. Not gonna happen. That is the situation you get yourself into when you hire your brother I guess.

Reactions: BillyRay

Mike was on the field for great OU Defenses in the early 2000's.... I want him in players faces and communication face to face with his great intensity

Mike was on the field for great OU Defenses in the early 2000's.... I want him in players faces and communication face to face with his great intensity

That approach hasn't really worked all that well this 2nd time around at OU. The top offenses of the conference are much different than what he faced in the early 2000's as well. Or maybe BrentV was a bigger part of OUs defense in the early 2000s than many OU fans realized.

Bob will not allow Mike to fail. Not saying Bob won't fire him if the D does not show improvement this year, but Bob will become a Co-D Coordinator to right the ship if that's what it takes.

Reactions: dfwsoonerfan
Do you fans find it strange that when Mike was HC at Arizona he never came close to throwing the tirades like he does at OU as DC? I know as a HC it is a little different how you handle yourself but he just came across as very mellow every Arizona game I saw, demeanor was night and day.

One thing about it, when you go animal ballistic on players you better have their respect or it back fires big time. OU's D has not been good since Mike's return and I think this is a real issue for OU right now how the players perceive him.

Do you fans find it strange that when Mike was HC at Arizona he never came close to throwing the tirades like he does at OU as DC? I know as a HC it is a little different how you handle yourself but he just came across as very mellow every Arizona game I saw, demeanor was night and day.

Man you seriously must have seen very little of when he was at Arizona. I can't remember the specific games, but there were times at Arizona I literally thought he was going to have a friggen stroke because he was throwing such an epic level tirade. And I never really followed him real closely out there, so I only got to see the tirades that made it into the national spotlight. With the numbers of games he lost out there, I'm willing to bet his numbers of tirades was incredible.

Bob will not allow Mike to fail. Not saying Bob won't fire him if the D does not show improvement this year, but Bob will become a Co-D Coordinator to right the ship if that's what it takes.

If Bob has to label himself as a Co-DC to babysit the defense failures, then that would mark a defining moment that he has realized Mike has indeed....failed.

That approach hasn't really worked all that well this 2nd time around at OU. The top offenses of the conference are much different than what he faced in the early 2000's as well. Or maybe BrentV was a bigger part of OUs defense in the early 2000s than many OU fans realized.

One thing about it, when you go animal ballistic on players you better have their respect or it back fires big time. OU's D has not been good since Mike's return and I think this is a real issue for OU right now how the players perceive him.
Man you seriously must have seen very little of when he was at Arizona. I can't remember the specific games, but there were times at Arizona I literally thought he was going to have a friggen stroke because he was throwing such an epic level tirade. And I never really followed him real closely out there, so I only got to see the tirades that made it into the national spotlight. With the numbers of games he lost out there, I'm willing to bet his numbers of tirades was incredible.
Mike was very emotional at Zona I'm not sure what games you were watching. Look if players don't respect a fantastic top 10 defensive Mind of all time then Ou has the wrong players.

Listen to the way all the ex players talk of how great Mike is as a coach. Muschamp and Stoops are very similar and players listen to Muschamp trust me.

In Mike I will always trust!!

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Mark my words... this is his last year at OU.

I think this is the most accurate statement in this thread.

IMO, Mike had the players' respect in 99-00, and he could blow his top at an Ontei Jones during the A&M game and be effective...I don't think that approach works all the time, or on every player. Part of being a good coach, teacher, mentor, leader is learning to use different styles of leadership, teaching, coaching, to be the most effective and honestly, it seems as if Mike's book on coaching is a little thin...

I do hope he is able to turn it around this season, and I hope he can get used to the pressbox. It may be easier to replace pressbox windows every week than to continuously have to build a player's ego back up.

I think this is the most accurate statement in this thread.

IMO, Mike had the players' respect in 99-00, and he could blow his top at an Ontei Jones during the A&M game and be effective...I don't think that approach works all the time, or on every player. Part of being a good coach, teacher, mentor, leader is learning to use different styles of leadership, teaching, coaching, to be the most effective and honestly, it seems as if Mike's book on coaching is a little thin...

I do hope he is able to turn it around this season, and I hope he can get used to the pressbox. It may be easier to replace pressbox windows every week than to continuously have to build a player's ego back up.
Are you telling me the 2003 team didn't respect Mike? Mike is a great coach and it will be proved this year with the way the D will attack teams. Not sure if it's a great overall team but the D will be top 20 mark my word

Are you telling me the 2003 team didn't respect Mike? Mike is a great coach and it will be proved this year with the way the D will attack teams. Not sure if it's a great overall team but the D will be top 20 mark my word

I should have been more specific. When I wrote '99-00' I really meant during the earlier days of Mike's first tenure, and not so much during his second stint. The 99-00 that I cited was meant to show a difference. I do believe some players on the 2001-2004 teams respected Mike, but I also believe some didn't.

WNAS.... Ou has the best linebacking core in the country by a mile and I have no doubt the secondary will be much improved so I will guarantee you Mike isn't leaving.
He's gone. BTW, I e never said it was because he would field a bad defense. You & a few others assumed that.

"I do believe some players on the 2001-2004 teams respected Mike, but I also believe some didn't."

Looks like you've got all bases covered.

Lol Did you watch the Ou defense from 2009-2013??? Clemson can have monkey boy he couldn't hold Mikes jock

Lol did you watch OUs bowl game against Clemson?? Thank god Clemson took their foot off the gas or they could have scored 60+ while OU was lucky BrentV's defense didn't pitch a shutout for Clemson. Pretty clear which side of the field had the better defense.

That's what I figured.... Most Ou fans have no perspective after 1 down season. Can you imagine the Texas fans hoping Chuck will bring them back? Lmao Bob will own Chuck

I'll give it to you, you're a die hard, but OUr Sooners have had more than one down season. Tell us the last year they outright owned a conference title again.

Reactions: Patriotgame
I'll give it to you, you're a die hard, but OUr Sooners have had more than one down season. Tell us the last year they outright owned a conference title again.

It really has been more of a slow slide the last 5-6 years, and not just one down season. I think Bob won 7 conference titles in his first 10 years at OU. Since then, Bob has 1 outright title in the last 6 years. That's a pretty substantial shift in OU's ability to compete in the Big XII, let alone being a contender for National Titles.

It really has been more of a slow slide the last 5-6 years, and not just one down season. I think Bob won 7 conference titles in his first 10 years at OU. Since then, Bob has 1 outright title in the last 6 years. That's a pretty substantial shift in OU's ability to compete in the Big XII, let alone being a contender for National Titles.
I agree there were lots of 3 loss seasons in there but when you lose qbs like White and Bradford it's tough to Just slide a new guy in there. LJ was solid but could never get over the hump

I agree there were lots of 3 loss seasons in there but when you lose qbs like White and Bradford it's tough to Just slide a new guy in there. LJ was solid but could never get over the hump

I think it went beyond just a QB or some players. I think there is a reason Bob Stoops has completely turned over his staff nearly 100% (Gundy being the lone exception) in the last 3 years. I think it fell mostly to bad coaching hires and stale coaches on the staff that has led the program to the shape it is in now. Time will tell if the changes Bob has made will pan out and resurge the program, or if they will end up being another round of bad hires that further tank the football program.

Mike was very emotional at Zona I'm not sure what games you were watching. Look if players don't respect a fantastic top 10 defensive Mind of all time then Ou has the wrong players.

Listen to the way all the ex players talk of how great Mike is as a coach. Muschamp and Stoops are very similar and players listen to Muschamp trust me.

In Mike I will always trust!!
The D has been terrible since Mike's return. This is a do or die year for him not only as a coach for OU, but as a coach period.

I think it went beyond just a QB or some players. I think there is a reason Bob Stoops has completely turned over his staff nearly 100% (Gundy being the lone exception) in the last 3 years. I think it fell mostly to bad coaching hires and stale coaches on the staff that has led the program to the shape it is in now. Time will tell if the changes Bob has made will pan out and resurge the program, or if they will end up being another round of bad hires that further tank the football program.
I don't think it's in nearly as bad of shape compared to Texas.

Agree BillyRay....but I also believe the decline of the conference, in all fairness to TCU and Baylor, has played a part. Nebraska and Texas A&M left, OU and Texas have declined, and the ten team format hurts the conference in the selection of playoff appearances....plus Baylor and TCU have not yet become "brand names".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT