ADVERTISEMENT

BIG 12 Championship Game

CalSooner

OU scholarship offer
May 29, 2001
Why doesn't the Big 12 have a conference championship game?

They have been given notice last year that the higher powers will hold this against a Big 12 team in determining the final 4.

Because all of the teams already play each other. As the conference stands now, there is no conference championship matchup that would not be a rematch.

NCAA currently doesn't allow conferences with less than 12 teams to have a CCG. However, in light of the new Championship tournament and the Power 5 conferences, I really believe the NCAA would relent and change the rule if the B12 would just request it.
If you think about it, other than all 10 teams play each other already, there is no reason for this to be a rule.
If an undefeated B12 team gets left out this year (or possibly even a 1-loss OU, since our loss was early and an anomaly), that will likely be the first thing the B12 office does in January.
Even though we play a round robin, I would prefer to have divisions again and have a North/South playoff.
I'd rather have a 10 team CCG, than add a couple of weak teams just to have the game.
Houston is tough this year, but in 2-3 years when their coach has moved on, they will be rebuilding again, and again, and again.

The NCAA is currently considering a waiver for the Big 12. Some obstacles have been cleared so I am told. The Big 12 may not even play a championship game, even with NCAA approval. It seems expansion would be the better solution.

Ohio State messed up the Big 12 last year in abusing a ranked Wisconsin team in a championship game. Big 12 heavyweights Texas and Oklahoma sure didn't help the Big 12's cause.

Big12 heavyweights OU and Texas are the problem? Not even close, the problem is Baylor and OSU scheduling all division ii non conference patsies. That is the biggest issue facing the big 12 right now with the playoff committee.

Big12 heavyweights OU and Texas are the problem? Not even close, the problem is Baylor and OSU scheduling all division ii non conference patsies. That is the biggest issue facing the big 12 right now with the playoff committee.

How about this for a frightening NC schedule?
Middle Tenn
LA-Monroe
Charleston Southern

Doesn't that scare the crap out of anybody? Oh wait, its ok.....because its Alabama!!!

Reactions: Oklabama
I understand the need for a conference championship game, but does it make sense to not play some tougher team in the Big 12 and then schedule NW Middle State Girls College just to fill out your schedule? Anyhow we all know nothing will ever be said about Alabama's cup cake NC schedule, but they will talk about Baylor or TCU...

I understand the need for a conference championship game, but does it make sense to not play some tougher team in the Big 12 and then schedule NW Middle State Girls College just to fill out your schedule? Anyhow we all know nothing will ever be said about Alabama's cup cake NC schedule, but they will talk about Baylor or TCU...
Alabama needs and deserves a cupcake OOC schedule. Because once they get to their Conf schedule, you know they have to deal with those rugged SEC teams like Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT