ADVERTISEMENT

Only two Big 12 teams are guaranteed conference championship berths if they win out

LVPack

OU scholarship offer
Jul 21, 2018
And it's probably not who you think. It's OU and West Virginia. Win out and you're in. Texas needs help. They are not guaranteed to get into the Big 12 championship game even if they win out.

Texas doesn't play West Virginia this year. This will never happen, but in a sick and twisted way it would be funny if West Virginia wins out going into the OU game, and Venables and the team tanks the game against West Virginia to keep Texas out and set up a rematch with West Virginia in the Big 12 championship game. Could you imagine the outrage from the Texas fans?

And it's probably not who you think. It's OU and West Virginia. Win out and you're in. Texas needs help. They are not guaranteed to get into the Big 12 championship game even if they win out.

Texas doesn't play West Virginia this year. This will never happen, but in a sick and twisted way it would be funny if West Virginia wins out going into the OU game, and Venables and the team tanks the game against West Virginia to keep Texas out and set up a rematch with West Virginia in the Big 12 championship game. Could you imagine the outrage from the Texas fans?
I doubt we'd tank a game that would eliminate us from playoff contention. As things are right now, OU won't get in unless they are undefeated.

I doubt we'd tank a game that would eliminate us from playoff contention.

You're correct, and of course that would never happen. The fact that it would infuriate the Texas fans is what makes it so funny, and also the fact that they can't accurately say if they win out then they're automatically in.

Last edited:
Our great expert, Colin Cowherd, says Texas will beat OU in the CCG......this is the same guy who ranted that Venables be fired after last year's Texas game.

Reactions: NellySooner
Yeah, among all of those talking heads, I've found Joel Klatt at Fox Sports to be the most knowledgeable and reasonable. He gives out a lot of facts to back up his opinions.

I doubt we'd tank a game that would eliminate us from playoff contention. As things are right now, OU won't get in unless they are undefeated
An undefeated OU may still not get in. Georgia, Michigan, Oregon, Florida St. if these 4 teams win out there is your playoff bracket.

An undefeated OU may still not get in. Georgia, Michigan, Oregon, Florida St. if these 4 teams win out there is your playoff bracket.

While that's theoretically possible, it is extremely unlikely, especially when you look at the remaining games for each of those teams. Note that in the nine previous playoffs, there have never been four undefeated teams, and only twice has there been three undefeated teams. There were also two playoffs that had no undefeated teams.

Number of undefeated teams in College Football Playoffs:

2014-15: 0
2015-16: 1
2016-17: 1
2017-18: 0
2018-19: 3
2019-20: 3
2020-21: 2
2021-22: 1
2022-23: 1
2023-24: ???

Reactions: Oklabama

Well we won't see that. The end the WVU Houston game had two 50-yard touchdowns in 12 seconds.

On fourth and ten at midfield with 20 some seconds left, WVU, was trailing by three, trying to get in position for a tying field goal. They threw a funky slant route to their third or fourth option who kept running and got to the end zone for a 39-35 lead with 12 seconds left.

It became crucial that the Eer's were called for unsportsmanlike. After the return, from their own 40, and eight seconds left, Houston did what Texas did Saturday. Out route to midfield with three seconds to play. The hail Mary bounced off two guys into the hands of a Cougar receiver.

Final Houston 41, WVU 39.

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner2000
Houston had some Magic in the last 12 seconds for the win

Glad we don’t play Houston this season

Houston had some Magic in the last 12 seconds for the win

Lost in the shuffle was the 15-yard penalty for Garrett Greene taunting the Houston crowd after throwing the go-ahead TD pass, which then made West Virginia kick off from the 20-yard line. Without that, it is very doubtful that Houston could have gained enough yardage in 12 seconds to attempt the Hail Mary pass.

Garrett Greene giveth, and Garrett Greene taketh away.

and with that OU SOS just got weaker.
Remember, the Big XII is 2-1 against the SEC. OUr schedule included both winners. We haven't played the loser. We already beat Texas. We play BYU who won at Arkansas, last. That can't hurt. WVU isn't likely to be in the top four in the conference when all is said and done. They got smoked against Penn State, whose first big game is next week.

I do suspect that we''ll have to be undefeated to make the CFP. It's doable, but it will be a major challenge. If we are undefeated, we'll get in. If not, we won't, unless Bama wins the SEC. If they do, then OU and UT might both get it, if OUr loss is to UT. But that's a pretty big long shot. Of the big three in the Pac 12, two lost today. We can't anticipate that, but there will inevitably be some attrition over the next six weeks.

I'm really impressed with OUr development and especially focus so far. I think Dillon is a vastly underated QB. I for one think we cruise through this season undefeated. I do not believe the transition to sec is gonna be as hard as some folks think.

BOOMER!

Reactions: loopafied68
Big 12 is crap…the conference brains have to worry about 2024. A year that maybe Utah is the only dominant type team. We should wipe the decks with those remaining before the championship game.

F8gm3ueWsAArnEn

u$c and the ducks are out thanks to yesterday
I don't think any one loss team is out. There have been a lot of assuptions about who's good or not. I think Ohio State is very overrated, and my well lose before they play Michigan. Penn State is pretty good. And USC has no conference less, and they play Washington at home. So they're not out of anything, but if they beat the Huskies, I'd be shocked.

The Pac 12 did the same thing that the Big XII did. They got rid of the divisions, so the top two teams will play. Most people think that will be a rematch of yesterday. I think they play in Vegas, not sure. But if Oregon makes it, to the CCG with one loss against UDub, and then finishes the season with one loss, they are absolutely a candidate for the final four. USC plays the pair the first two weeks of November. USC has the interesting schedule that they play their 12, and have their open date Nov 25. I'd expect them to have three losses. But if they get there, and their only loss is to the Domers, they would absolutely be a final four candidate. Right now, the only P5 to be P4 one loss team with to me, NO CHANCE is Iowa. We'll see. When you play good defense, there's always a chance.

You are correct in this assessment Plaino, I just got caught up in the zeal of the early losses yesterday. We of all schools should remember that lots of crazy things can & will happen in College football of course. Lots of football left.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT