ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor

WP76

Sooner starter
Oct 4, 2001
Is there a trashier, more thug-infested, trash-talking combination of head coach and program than the Bears? Maybe they needed to recruit a couple more rapists to have had a better chance in last night's game.

Yeah, we know they won three out of four against OU. Updated numbers--three of the last 25.

Reactions: Oklabama
He is a very good HC, that won 4 state titles, developed this offense and has won everywhere. He is at a small private school w/o great tradition or resources. Don't down the Bears or their HC, when Patterson had a drug ring going at TCU.

Reactions: fortworth4ou2
I'd admire what Briles had done if he'd accomplished it minus the trash-talking thuggery that permeates every aspect of his program. When OU got a personal foul penalty, Stoops would light up the offending player. Compare that to Briles who says nothing and actually seems to encourage it. Big difference.

I don't endorse thuggery at all and Briles has pulled in a thug or two over the past few years. But we've had skeletons in our closet too over the past decade.

Briles recruits edgy players and possibly coaches them up in that manner. But, he doesn't have OU's tradition or recruiting ability. That doesn't mean his claimed tactics have to be excused and I am not excusing anthing he potentially does in this regard.

He's taken chances on players just like all coaches do including Bob. I'd prefer we not with some of those players. But, as I've been reminded, it's called second chances. We laud it when Bob does it and excoriate others for having a similar approach. Hypocritical?

I don't know if ethics takes a back seat at Baylor more than at any other university. I don't like a few players on their squad. Briles, for the moment, is working on changing the BU football program and making it relevant. But, the ends don't justify the means if he is as troubled as advertised here. If he's truly doing things the wrong way, it will eventually catch up with them and do them significant harm.

We need strong teams in our conference. I truly hope Baylor is doing the ethical thing.

Boomer Sooner

Reactions: BillyRay
Was it my imagination or did Briles appear to be rather short and rude to Bob after the game. My wife even noticed it. I can understand him being upset after a loss but he appeared to be pissed at Bob. I appreciate what he has accomplished but damn he needs to work on his manners, IMO.

Was it my imagination or did Briles appear to be rather short and rude to Bob after the game. My wife even noticed it. I can understand him being upset after a loss but he appeared to be pissed at Bob. I appreciate what he has accomplished but damn he needs to work on his manners, IMO.
I think it was shock

It was pretty obvious. Compare Briles to how Stoops approached Charlie Strong after the excruciating loss to Texas and it tells you pretty much all you need to know about the true character of those two coaches.

Reactions: SoonerWilson
He is a very good HC, that won 4 state titles, developed this offense and has won everywhere. He is at a small private school w/o great tradition or resources. Don't down the Bears or their HC, when Patterson had a drug ring going at TCU.

TCU plays the game tough and physically, but you don't see the cheap shots.

Baylor plays like a team who puts bounties on the other team's best players. It happens too often to be a coincidence. The cheap shot horse collar last night on Mayfield was ridiculously thuggish. The hit on the ground to Knight last year in the back of the neck was worse than thuggish.

The cheap shot on Sheppard two years ago was typical. The helmet to helmet contact on Mixon last night was thuggish. Baylor doesn't play the game tough and hard. They play with intent to injure. They are the dirtiest team in the conference. If you can't tell the difference between TCU and Baylor, then you aren't looking through objective eyes.

Last edited:
That's a dirty team some of them make me think Roid Rage. Reminds me of Miami's outlaws of old.

briles was a prick at Stephenville and he is still one today. If Baylor had won the game
he would have stayed on the field and talked longer.

I didn't see anywhere that Patterson was involved in a drug ring or that Briles helped or encouraged any rapists. Just like Stoops didn't hit any bitches in the mouth...

Every university is going to have players who get in trouble. It's the nature of the beast...

briles was a prick at Stephenville and he is still one today. If Baylor had won the game
he would have stayed on the field and talked longer.

And this is why when his name was brought up as a possible candidate for Mack Brown's replacement it was shot down quickly by at least one Influential Horn booster. I'm breaking board rules because this is hear say, but from one of the booster's children. The point is Art Briles is not well thought of by Texas blue bloods. He definitely found his spot in Waco. I will delete this post if anyone has an issue with my source. No problem.

I noticed that also at the time. I was surprised.

The thug claim is overdone as every team has one or more from time to time. Plaino's comments about targeting is troublesome. But why would a guy who has had so much success lack the grace to chat with Bob after the game? The guy is definitely not Snyder.

The thug claim is overdone as every team has one or more from time to time. Plaino's comments about targeting is troublesome. But why would a guy who has had so much success lack the grace to chat with Bob after the game? The guy is definitely not Snyder.

Go look at the thread headed"from Kansas State board last year." Then tell me what you think of Oakman.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT