ADVERTISEMENT

Barry Sanders 1988 rewind ESPN Story...Bigger recruiting miss??

Everybody in the NFL keyed on him and most of the time Barry still had huge games.

No kidding. Sanders averaged 150 yards a game over his ten year pro career. 150 yards a game. I don’t know if anyone else has done that but if so, not many. He did that as a Detroit Lion. 15,000+ yards in ten season with the Lions. Earl Campbell is the only running back I would put ahead of him, and that’s because I was a big Houston Oiler fan and had the good luck to have watched him many times in person. TV never could catch the sound of him crashing into would be tacklers. Barry was too difficult for anyone to get a good lick on him. Two completely different but fantastic running backs. There are others as well, of course. These are my favorites of all time that played the biggest part of a decade.

Sanders would have been a difference maker vs Miami if OU’s offense had been with a balanced attack to prevent the defense from keying on the running game.

Wishbone backs had to block well and Barry Sanders admittedly wasn’t a good blocker during his college days. He mentioned that during last week’s local CBS special. He said that when Truman Thomas was at OSU he knew he wouldn’t play ahead of him because “I couldn’t ever block as well as Truman”.

Reactions: iasooner1
Wishbone backs had to block well and Barry Sanders admittedly wasn’t a good blocker during his college days. He mentioned that during last week’s local CBS special. He said that when Truman Thomas was at OSU he knew he wouldn’t play ahead of him because “I couldn’t ever block as well as Truman”.

Thurman? :)

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT