ADVERTISEMENT

BAKER'S FUTURE - CRAZY IDEA?

fortworth4ou2

Sooner signee
Jun 22, 2015
If Baker has no reasonable NFL future, might it be logical for Riley to hire him as QB's coach with it in mind to soon have him become Co-Offensive Coordinator under Lincoln's tutelage?

Baker is NFL bound. Coaching may be in his future but it won't be for awhile. He'll explore every opportunity to play in the NFL even if he has to walk on a team like he has done twice already. He won't be coaching for awhile, if at a

There are quite a few opinion stories out there on Baker's potential NFL draft status. Most analyst think he is a project type that will go somewhere in the 4th round. His biggest disadvantages are his height and arm strength. I read on this morning suggesting that his height is somewhat offset because of his accuracy out side of the pocket. If, you have been paying attention this year, Baker has thrown a handful of deep passes that were just a little short. That is mentioned some as well. He has been compared as a more mobile and instinctive player and better prospect than Colt McCoy. Also some like to compare him to Johnny Football without the attitude issues. Some don't like him for his emotional reactions etc.

Depending on the outcome of this season, my best guess is upper 3rd round to lower 4th round. But, what the heck do I know.

If Baker has no reasonable NFL future, might it be logical for Riley to hire him as QB's coach with it in mind to soon have him become Co-Offensive Coordinator under Lincoln's tutelage?
I don't see that at all. Many of the skills Baker has cannot be taught or "coached", at least to justify a coach's salary.

You can't teach spirit, heart, energy, perseverance, etc. You can't teach what he does when the pocket breaks down in one place, then another, then when he spins around for a 3rd time and is confronted with an opposing player. And you certainly can't teach how to thread the needle with the football when confronted with all of that.

That didn't work out so well for the last favorite son, Josh Heupel. As several have already commented, no way of knowing if he is coaching material or not.
Lincoln wasn't a player, but appears to be an excellent coach.

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT