ADVERTISEMENT

Baker Mayfield, did I miss this

Heard something about that yesterday.
Most likely, his ankle is sore and this is just some extra rest/healing time.

Sure hope so, living in Minnesota I miss Oklahoma news. Have to find everything on the Internet or ESPN

I haven't seen it from a credible source yet, but saw someone post on a message board about it yesterday.
As heavy as his ankle was taped after halftime Saturday, that has to be what the deal is.
Still can't believe Bob claimed he checked out 100% at halftime, then he shows up with heavy tape on the ankle and a knee sleeve.
Best response: "He appears to be good to go right now"
Why do you tape an ankle that is 100%?

Reactions: soonerfastnloud
I haven't seen it from a credible source yet, but saw someone post on a message board about it yesterday.
As heavy as his ankle was taped after halftime Saturday, that has to be what the deal is.
Still can't believe Bob claimed he checked out 100% at halftime, then he shows up with heavy tape on the ankle and a knee sleeve.

It's not a big deal. If there was a game yesterday he would have played. Simply giving him an extra day. Monday is a light day anyhow. He'll be fine and ready to go this weekend.

And I don't know a player that doesn't tape their ankles in games.

Yeah really, he is not 100 percent. OMG, if Kendall has to play after his statement about Ohio State's defense, who knows what might happen.

He seemed "okay" in the second half and made one nice run right after half time, but did not do much running or scrambling after that. He may be taped up, but will be ready to go against the horns.

It's not a big deal. If there was a game yesterday he would have played. Simply giving him an extra day. Monday is a light day anyhow. He'll be fine and ready to go this weekend.

And I don't know a player that doesn't tape their ankles in games.

In my original post, I mentioned that it was probably just to give him an extra day off and rest.
You are right, all players do tape their ankles.
What I was referring to was the tape job outside his shoe that was done at half time.
I have no doubt it was precautionary and to help him feel comfortable with it.
My point was more about Bob saying it tested out 100%, then wrapped it with more tape and even had a sleeve on his knee.

In my original post, I mentioned that it was probably just to give him an extra day off and rest.
You are right, all players do tape their ankles.
What I was referring to was the tape job outside his shoe that was done at half time.
I have no doubt it was precautionary and to help him feel comfortable with it.
My point was more about Bob saying it tested out 100%, then wrapped it with more tape and even had a sleeve on his knee.
Not uncommon if it was tweaked a little. And sometimes they add tape if the original tape isn't providing enough support. There generally isn't enough time to remove tape and retape.

If it helps my credibility, Scott and Jim are good friends of mine.

Rumors out about Baker wearing a walking boot, it's obvious he is not 100 percent.
You might check into who this Eddie_Rado guy is that posted earlier in this thread. He isn't one of us message board consumers. He knows things.

If that rumor is true, it still isn't a smoking gun. It isn't uncommon for an athlete to wear an immobilization boot while they aren't competing after they sustain a minor injury. It provides a little more healing time. I own two high level gymnasts that have spent a good portion of their lives in boots and other immobilizers while not practicing or competing.

The fact that Mayfield continued to play, and even run effectively, should put you at ease.

40 seconds to go in the first half... Baker is sacked and fumbles, his ankle gets rolled up on and knee tweaked... At around 23:15 in the video...

You might check into who this Eddie_Rado guy is that posted earlier in this thread. He isn't one of us message board consumers. He knows things.

If that rumor is true, it still isn't a smoking gun. It isn't uncommon for an athlete to wear an immobilization boot while they aren't competing after they sustain a minor injury. It provides a little more healing time. I own two high level gymnasts that have spent a good portion of their lives in boots and other immobilizers while not practicing or competing.

The fact that Mayfield continued to play, and even run effectively, should put you at ease.

Baker told me he practiced yesterday and is ready to go -- this was yesterday after practice. No worries here.

Charles Walker is out with a concussion. According to another board. That's something I didn't know.

What are high level gymnasts going for these days?
Better question, what do high level gymnasts do for their owners?
Male? Female? Both?
:D
I'm not going to sell them. That would be foolish. Have you seen the price of college? They are my social security. I take care of them now and they'll return that investment when I'm old and crippled.

I paid for them in nature, nuture, and American dollars, so yes, I own them outright.

Baker told me he practiced yesterday and is ready to go -- this was yesterday after practice. No worries here.
I heard he was practicing fine. I didn't talk to him though. Like I posted, these guys here should know Eddie_Rado. You know things.

Thanks for visiting us on the free board sir.

Let Dr. Bob handle this people.

I remember in '01 vs. Nebraska when Hybl's right frontal lobe was bruised black and blue and his ACL was coiled up in his belt - we attached some rubber bands from his cleats to his knee pad, gave him a Jagerbomb and he was good to go.

Let Dr. Bob handle this people.

I remember in '01 vs. Nebraska when Hybl's right frontal lobe was bruised black and blue and his ACL was coiled up in his belt - we attached some rubber bands from his cleats to his knee pad, gave him a Jagerbomb and he was good to go.
not enough likes in the world

not enough likes in the world
I'd give it a like except Dr. Bob doesn't get to decide who is medically cleared to play. That decision is Dr. Brock's (Schnebel). Bob has far more compassion for injured players than he gets credit for here. He just refuses to discuss injuries publicly, which leads some folks, especially us message board sports medicine doctors, to read that a hydrogen filled airship is on fire in the tarot cards.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
I'm not going to sell them. That would be foolish. Have you seen the price of college? They are my social security. I take care of them now and they'll return that investment when I'm old and crippled.

I paid for them in nature, nuture, and American dollars, so yes, I own them outright.
Oh no. I was not inquiring about the cost for myself.
I'll never live in the rarified air that would allow me to ever be able to afford one high level gymnast, much less two.
I currently own three Lamborghinis and a garage full of antique cars that Jay Leno would drool over.
But a high level gymnast? Not even in the same stratosphere.
I was just curious what the going rate was.

Oh no. I was not inquiring about the cost for myself.
I'll never live in the rarified air that would allow me to ever be able to afford one high level gymnast, much less two.
I currently own three Lamborghinis and a garage full of antique cars that Jay Leno would drool over.
But a high level gymnast? Not even in the same stratosphere.
I was just curious what the going rate was.
By the way, after a half dozen posts on this subject, I finally realized you were talking about rugrats.
I'm a little slow. But I do usually finish the race. ;)

I'd give it a like except Dr. Bob doesn't get to decide who is medically cleared to play. That decision is Dr. Brock's (Schnebel). Bob has far more compassion for injured players than he gets credit for here. He just refuses to discuss injuries publicly, which leads some folks, especially us message board sports medicine doctors, to read that a hydrogen filled airship is on fire in the tarot cards.

I think it was just a joke. Some topics get this board wound too tight.

You mean he doesn't?
Well, I've never seen a player get his feet sawed of on the field yet. From a practical standpoint, it would be hard to put shoes on the player. Sure tape could work wonders, but the active bleeding wouldn't allow the tape to adhere well.

That's where my expertise would come into play. I'd get that bleeding stopped and then with a rough patchwork of sutures, staples, glue, tape, and plenty of hydromorphone, I'd have him ready to hit the field as if nothing ever happened. All you'd see would be ankles heavily taped over the shoes.

Crap. Did I just give away that I'm actually the guy behind the curtain?

That's where my expertise would come into play. I'd get that bleeding stopped and then with a rough patchwork of sutures, staples, glue, tape, and plenty of hydromorphone, I'd have him ready to hit the field as if nothing ever happened. All you'd see would be ankles heavily taped over the shoes.

Speaking of football injuries/medical precautions, I noticed within the last week; and I can't remember the game, but it was either NFL or NCAA Div1; that a player was wearing one of those big ol' bull rings from his nose in the game. Is that OK these days?
Damn, I was just a swimmer, and officials would freak out if they caught us with an earring or anything. Not even a freaking contact sport.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT