ADVERTISEMENT

Back to Football

bcsoonerfan

Sooner starter
Aug 7, 2007
I for one am over and done with discussing "the incident that shall not be named"! So I'm ready to talk about Sooner football, starting with the Sugar Bowl.

IMO, I feel like this is a "must win" game and springboard into 2017. I feel like we have the superior football team and we need this W on a national stage, especially with all the recent negative publicity. We've got to be the "stronger" team. Cannot get man handled in the trenches or I'm not going to have much hope for 2017 for anything greater than Big XII implications.

With the return of a lot of key guys who could have declared for the draft, our best recruiting class in maybe over a decade, and Lincoln Riley back for probably one last season, we really need to have a special season in 2017, and it starts with Auburn and the Sugar Bowl. And a dominating win would be even sweeter.

OU - 38
AU - 24

I think with a month off and giving both teams some time to heal we should see a very close game.

Oklahoma 38 Auburn 27

OU should be favored.
Auburn's only quality win was against a 7-4 LSU team at home by a score of 18-13.
In Auburn's 4 losses, it scored 13 (Clemson), 16 (ATM), 7(Georgia), 12 points (Alabama), or an average of 12 points per game.
OU looks to score 30 or more points so it will be OU's defense and kicking game that have to play well.
I'll say 38-24, OU.

Reactions: iasooner1
OU should be favored.
Auburn's only quality win was against a 7-4 LSU team at home by a score of 18-13.
In Auburn's 4 losses, it scored 13 (Clemson), 16 (ATM), 7(Georgia), 12 points (Alabama), or an average of 12 points per game.
OU looks to score 30 or more points so it will be OU's defense and kicking game that have to play well.
I'll say 38-24, OU.

I think OU 42 AU 14

If Joe Mixon plays lights out in this game I think he comes back in 2017.

Auburn has given up 30 points one time this year. I'm not seeing the big score that some of you do. We scored 21 at home against the only other really good defense we faced. I hope we're ready, especially up front.

Auburn has given up 30 points one time this year. I'm not seeing the big score that some of you do. We scored 21 at home against the only other really good defense we faced. I hope we're ready, especially up front.

Fair point. But they haven't faced anything close to what we're firing with on offense. They'll hold us down running the ball until we loosen them up with the pass. Their fron 7 is strong, but weak secondary.

Sooners are the better team BUT IMO it all comes down to how hard Bob Stoops has prepared the team for the game. It was obvious he did that against Bama and was just as obvious he did not against Clemson (twice) where we saw the Sooners gassed in the second half. So did they take off a week over Christmas or did Stoops learn his lesson from last year? Would venture a guess Auburn didn't.

Also Sooners have had a lot more distractions than Auburn.

Close game, 31-30 Sooners

Reactions: CTOkie
A few things concern me:
How well this team prepares for this game.
How well Mixon plays given the distractions he's dealing with.
How well this team can move the ball against what should be the best defense it's faced this year.
A winnable game for sure, but OU is not a good bowl team during the last 17 years. Stoops has an 8-9 bowl record. That's not what I expected after the 2002 season when Stoops' record improved with a Rose Bowl win over Washington State to boost his record to 3-1.

A few things concern me:
How well this team prepares for this game.
How well Mixon plays given the distractions he's dealing with.
How well this team can move the ball against what should be the best defense it's faced this year.
A winnable game for sure, but OU is not a good bowl team during the last 17 years. Stoops has an 8-9 bowl record. That's not what I expected after the 2002 season when Stoops' record improved with a Rose Bowl win over Washington State to boost his record to 3-1.
Houston and tOSU have better defenses. Both have a lot better offenses.

Auburn might have as good FG return game as Houston. They don't have the offense, although they might have an offense that Mike Stoops doesn't see in this league...

But then there is the tortilla throwers, who run the same offense he sees everyday, and we know what happened there...

In 17 bowl games, no other college football team has faced near the quality opponents that OU has. A few plays here or there and Bob Stoops bowl record is 10-7 with 3 NC's... Add a play against Boise State and he is 11-6... Oh, but it isn't... 8-9 with wins in every BCS bowl and a National Championship and a playoff appearance. Number 9 is next...

Auburn does not want to get into a track meet with OU, so they'll slow the game down, play defense and grind out the clock by playing smash-mouth football. This will be a frustrating game for the Sooners as we will struggle, at times, getting offense on track and sustaining drives to keep our defense rested.

Auburn keeps it close throughout the game. OU scores late to get a comfortable margin and the Tigers add one late to make it exciting, but comes up short in the end.

OU - 28
AU - 23

Houston and tOSU have better defenses. Both have a lot better offenses.

Auburn might have as good FG return game as Houston. They don't have the offense, although they might have an offense that Mike Stoops doesn't see in this league...

But then there is the tortilla throwers, who run the same offense he sees everyday, and we know what happened there...

In 17 bowl games, no other college football team has faced near the quality opponents that OU has. A few plays here or there and Bob Stoops bowl record is 10-7 with 3 NC's... Add a play against Boise State and he is 11-6... Oh, but it isn't... 8-9 with wins in every BCS bowl and a National Championship and a playoff appearance. Number 9 is next...
Houston yielded 305 points.
Ohio State yielded 170 points.
Auburn yielded 187 points.
Ohio State had the number one toughest schedule.....Auburn number 7.....Houston number 49.

The 8-9 bowl record consists of 5 blowout losses and 3 championship game losses.
Four of the eight wins came against Arkansas (7-5), Stanford (8-5), UConn (8-5) and Iowa (7-6).
The other four wins were over very good teams: Florida State, Washington State, Oregon and Alabama.

Ohio State had the number one toughest schedule.....Auburn number 7.....Houston number 49.

The 8-9 bowl record consists of 5 blowout losses and 3 championship game losses.
Four of the eight wins came against Arkansas (7-5), Stanford (8-5), UConn (8-5) and Iowa (7-6).
The other four wins were over very good teams: Florida State, Washington State, Oregon and Alabama.
OU with their heads on right, would never have lost to Houston.

Auburn played horrific offensive teams. The SEC was as weak as it's been in over a decade. And when they played Clemson (1st game), Clemson was playing like crap.

Auburn played horrific offensive teams. The SEC was as weak as it's been in over a decade. And when they played Clemson (1st game), Clemson was playing like crap.
I don't think there is any doubt this is a down year for the SEC. Even though they still have the best team in the country. Quality in the conference falls off pretty fast after Alabama....

Reactions: Huntin Hard
I don't think there is any doubt this is a down year for the SEC. Even though they still have the best team in the country. Quality in the conference falls off pretty fast after Alabama....

That's why this "greatest of all time" business with this year's Bama team is ridiculous. Their OL is average and they are inconsistent at the skill positions.

That's why this "greatest of all time" business with this year's Bama team is ridiculous. Their OL is average and they are inconsistent at the skill positions.

I said early on that Alabama wouldn't win with a true freshman quarterback. But he has surprised. Still, I think Bama is ripe for an upset. I believe the Clemson - Ohio State winner has a good chance at the title, but wouldn't it be rich if Washington takes it all! I would be laughing for a month.

Ya there isn't a big gap between Alabama and other teams like in the past. Alabama is absolutely beatable this year. Alabama's trump card is their coaching staff I think is about the best in the country in terms of having their players prepared for big games.

Reactions: Huntin Hard
I also believe the sec is down this year but so is the lil 12 so probably a tie in that statistic. Hopefully OU comes out on a mission and pays little attention to Auburns record. Probably gonna be a hard fought game and I am sure they will bring a lot of fans probably more than OU by a little bit perhaps. I would usually say OU wins easily in this one but everytime I think that way they lay an egg so I will say OU 24 aubie 21. Most of the predictions I have seen have OU winning a close game and a couple have us winning in OT. Hopefully the players are thinking it will be a battle as well and will go in accordingly instead of thinking they will roll over auburn. Gus is a good offensive minded coach so I am sure he will throw some stuff at us that Mike has not seen before, no pun intended. Lol

Alabama is beatable this year? Have you seen them play? Absolutely destroyed a good USC team. They will win the title again.

Alabama is beatable this year? Have you seen them play? Absolutely destroyed a good USC team. They will win the title again.

Not even remotely the same team USC is now.

Bama has lapses in consistency offensively, as expected with a freshman QB. Which is why the leaned on his legs often.

They are dangerous on defense for sure but not impregnable. A balanced offensive attack like the Huskies could be a big surprise to Bama's defense if they expect to get the same cap gun offense they saw from SEC competition.

I don't think for a second the Chris Peterson led Huskies will get rolled like everyone is predicting.

Clemson vs Washington in the title.

Reactions: PtLavacaSooner
Not even remotely the same team USC is now.

Bama has lapses in consistency offensively, as expected with a freshman QB. Which is why the leaned on his legs often.

They are dangerous on defense for sure but not impregnable. A balanced offensive attack like the Huskies could be a big surprise to Bama's defense if they expect to get the same cap gun offense they saw from SEC competition.

I don't think for a second the Chris Peterson led Huskies will get rolled like everyone is predicting.

Clemson vs Washington in the title.
I have tOSU vs. Washington in the title game with Meyer getting what should really be his 5th NC...

Same could probably be said about OU, OU would probably rather be in the Playoffs but after last year I doubt it.

I think after the way the season started, these guys are likely thrilled to be there.

They could have mailed it in, but they rallied to 9 straight wins and an unbeaten conference title. Very proud of this team and their resiliency.

Boomer!

I think after the way the season started, these guys are likely thrilled to be there.

They could have mailed it in, but they rallied to 9 straight wins and an unbeaten conference title. Very proud of this team and their resiliency.

Boomer!

We will see who wants to be there more. If you are not hyped with a Sugar Bowl if you are Allbarn playing OU then you probably need your head examined. If you are OU and are not happy to be there after a 1-2 start and a chance to smack another Alabama School in the Sugar Bowl then you might just be a whorn fan. SOONER!

I'm tired of hearing how any bowl game not attached to a national championship playoff format is referred to as "meaningless". I see such talk as millennial rhetoric, coming from those who have little or no knowledge or appreciation of CFB history.....or history in general for that matter.
The Sugar Bowl to me is a long standing prestigious bowl game, like the Rose, Fiesta and Orange Bowls, and I include a few other bowl games as well.
In the cases of Auburn and Oklahoma, playing in the Sugar Bowl is great exposure, great for recruiting, a great reward for players after a long, hard fought season, 15 extra days of practice (like having an extra spring drills where players like CB Parnell Motley and LB Jon-Michael Terry, whom Stoops is raving about, can get valuable practice time), millions of dollars for both schools.....and the opportunity to play a high-profile, elite opponent with a great legacy. I believe BOTH teams "want" to be there, unlike Alabama 3 years ago when it played OU.
I won't dispute the fact that 40 bowl games is excessive and that teams with losing or .500 records should be bowl eligible, but such a scenario is out of my control and most of the bowl games are entertaining....much like Army's OT win against North Texas or Louisiana Tech's upset of Navy. Watching Tulsa clobber Central Michigan 55-10 was fun for me even though it wasn't very suspenseful. As a college football junkie, I watch the games featuring teams I care about.....and today, 12/28, has ATM vs K-State, Pittsburgh vs Northwestern, West Virginia vs Miami, and Indiana vs Utah.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT