ADVERTISEMENT

Alamo Bowl

Bowl games generate money, 15 extra days of practice that prepares teams for the bowl game and the next season, rewards teams for a good season and hard work, and provides interesting intersectional matchups.
I don’t regard non-playoff bowls as worthless or as exhibition games, especially having seen so many of CFB’s greatest games played in bowl games in my lifetime.
OU, in my opinion, is not yet worthy of being a CFP team or playing a few other top 10-15 teams. The transition is going pretty well for Venables but defense is still the “turd in the punch bowl” for OU. Defensive improvement is still a year or two away.
So much turbulence has been overcome by this team in two years and the 10-win season and an upset win over Texas, who has a chance to win a national championship, is evidence that Venables has OU going upward.
Let’s relish what has been accomplished and enjoy the Alamo Bowl in a great city like San Antonio.

Bowl games generate money, 15 extra days of practice that prepares teams for the bowl game and the next season, rewards teams for a good season and hard work, and provides interesting intersectional matchups.
I don’t regard non-playoff bowls as worthless or as exhibition games, especially having seen so many of CFB’s greatest games played in bowl games in my lifetime.
OU, in my opinion, is not yet worthy of being a CFP team or playing a few other top 10-15 teams. The transition is going pretty well for Venables but defense is still the “turd in the punch bowl” for OU. Defensive improvement is still a year or two away.
So much turbulence has been overcome by this team in two years and the 10-win season and an upset win over Texas, who has a chance to win a national championship, is evidence that Venables has OU going upward.
Let’s relish what has been accomplished and enjoy the Alamo Bowl in a great city like San Antonio.
I understand your point but starting next year if a team doesnt make it to the playoffs ( ZnY6 Bowl ) the other Bowls will suffer from lack of interest. Bowl games use to be a reward for deserving teams, not so much now. 6-6 teams dont deserve bowls and the number of bowls that exist has diminished what they once was in the 60s up to the early 2000s. Just my opinion on it

Reactions: iasooner2000
I understand your point but starting next year if a team doesnt make it to the playoffs ( ZnY6 Bowl ) the other Bowls will suffer from lack of interest. Bowl games use to be a reward for deserving teams, not so much now. 6-6 teams dont deserve bowls and the number of bowls that exist has diminished what they once was in the 60s up to the early 2000s. Just my opinion on it
The bowls haven't been the same since the late 80's to early 90's. Hopefully the 12 team playoff will eventually lead to a 16 team playoff. Play all of the games at the highest seeds home stadium and then have the National Championship game at a neutral site. The schools that aren't in a power 5 conference can go to the bowl games.

The bowls haven't been the same since the late 80's to early 90's. Hopefully the 12 team playoff will eventually lead to a 16 team playoff. Play all of the games at the highest seeds home stadium and then have the National Championship game at a neutral site. The schools that aren't in a power 5 conference can go to the bowl games.
They won’t ever go to that module. It took them 10 years to do this 12 team module in 24. I doubt at my age it expands beyond the 12. I think they just need to eliminate some bowls and allow every school the two extra weeks of practice. I may be in the minority here but its time for the FBS to split up into a true Super division and a 2nd division to allow for those schools to have a real shot at a NC. ( IE schools like Liberty , James Madison etc etc ). Call it a FBS A and FBS B or whatever.

Go to 64 schools with 8 Divisions and allow only 8 teams to advance to actual playoffs that arent decided by some dang humans. CFB is already now a pro league so treat it like one.

David isnt slaying Goliath in this one. Doubt its even close. BTW Woody love the San Antonio area. Lived outside it ( LaVernia) from 95-97.
Lavernia is beautiful country. Bought 5 acres out that way some 32 years ago for retirement purposes. Built a house and shop then divorce blindsided me. I lease it now as well as my home in San Antone. These days I'm a wanna be fishing guide. I now live in a 5th wheel in Rockport Texas and couldn't be happier.

Lavernia is beautiful country. Bought 5 acres out that way some 32 years ago for retirement purposes. Built a house and shop then divorce blindsided me. I lease it now as well as my home in San Antone. These days I'm a wanna be fishing guide. I now live in a 5th wheel in Rockport Texas and couldn't be happier.
I really enjoyed it and we always went into SA to get some great BBQ. There was a place right off the 1604 loop ( I think thats what it was coming into SA from LaVernia) that we always ate at. It was in an old house but man o man it was great food.

In LaVernia there was a place called Witties ( may actually spelled Whitties ) that looked like a building was about to fall down. Not the cleanest place inside but the steaks were cheap and absolutely delicous. It never got shut down so it must have passed all the inspections and I am still alive so there is that.

SA is right up there with Colorado Springs for me as far as cities I have lived in or around that I really enjoyed. That is saying a lot for me since I have never been a big city type person. Enjoy that fishing and the happiness you get from it and life.

or don’t lose to inferior teams like Kansas and OSU.
Larry, you should change your name to “devil’s advocate”. This is about fairness, and everyone has lost games they shouldn’t including OU. It is about comparing those losses to other teams with similar records. Don’t be a dumbass just for the sake of being a dumbass.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
Larry, you should change your name to “devil’s advocate”. This is about fairness, and everyone has lost games they shouldn’t including OU. It is about comparing those losses to other teams with similar records. Don’t be a dumbass just for the sake of being a dumbass.
Larry's alright, he'll find his way.

Get Jackson on the game plan of short/middle pass plays and wheel routes. Need to get his confidence hardened before 2024. If we stick to this hurry up and poor time mgmt plan, then we will lose. Learn from past glaring mistakes.

Get Jackson on the game plan of short/middle pass plays and wheel routes. Need to get his confidence hardened before 2024. If we stick to this hurry up and poor time mgmt plan, then we will lose. Learn from past glaring mistakes.
How do you know we will lose, There were several games DG didn't see wide-open guys or he made a bad throw. What if JA can make those throws and moves the chains and put points on the board? This style of offense has been successful against SEC teams, Tenn and Ole Miss have won games with it. Time management is up to Littrell, I hope he does a better job than Lebby at that.

I am getting bad vibes in this bowl game if we don’t dial back the offense tempo. Just like the KU game, but this time in a domed stadium. Going to be a very tight game.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
I am getting bad vibes in this bowl game if we don’t dial back the offense tempo. Just like the KU game, but this time in a domed stadium. Going to be a very tight game.
I'm thinking Jackson is gonna light em up. My vibe brother. I'm a ra ra guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: kcstorm06
Brother, I only get to see OUr Sooners live when they come down my way. I've had these seats for Missouri in 06 and ducks in 21. Dark dome but field lit up perfectly.
Seen a few Spurs game there. My wife actually ran into Vinny Del negro at a drys cleaner one day out towards LaVernia. She said “ He is tall”. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT