ADVERTISEMENT

Ask the expert: Baylor Recap

usedtobe1

Sooner starter
Oct 8, 2008
This is just in a little easier to read format. Questions answered by the Baylor “expert” Kevin Lonnquist:

Billings 100%?
I'll take a couple of these before I get started with the bigger ones tonight. I don't think so. Ankle sprains are tricky to navigate. But he will play.

Do you believe that Baylor will now start to schedule tougher opponents? If yes, then will it take years to schedule tougher opponents?
Pretty much locked in through 2019. Trying to play an SEC at NRG in Houston sometime in September 2020.

Do you think Oakman will be zeroing in on Mayfield to try to take him out of the game?
I would hope that wouldn't be the case.

Any fallout from the BU side on the coach being on the sideline for the Tulsa game? Think he picked anything up from being there?
Just that Jeff Lebby is out for the first half and return for the second. I'm sure OL coach Randy Clements will help in the run game during that time.

Where do you think OU has an advantage over Bayor and where do you think Baylor has an advantage over OU?
I think OU can attack Baylor's running game better than any opponent to this point of the season. I like watching Striker. I put him on my All Big 12 preseason team. I'll still give Baylor the advantage with its passing attack.

Kevin, Baylor has some talent on their DL but how has the back end of that defense looked this year?
I think it's looked a little better. Xavien Howard is a pretty physical CB at 6-2, 200. Ryan Reid has been OK. JUCO Tion Wright sometimes challenges him. They went with Soph. Chance Waz at one of the safety spots. He had a pretty violent collision with Orion Stewart against Kansas State but should be ok. I would recommend you watch NB Travon Blanchard (48). He's really embraced the hybrid role and is a playmaker. But with any Phil Bennett defense, expect primary man coverage (as long as NT Andrew Billings is effective). Baylor doesn't play a lot of zone.

Do you think Stidham will run more this week? Is he close to Russell as a runner?
I think the coaching the coaching staff will pick its spots with Stidham running. He's not the runner Seth Russell is but he did rush for 1,800 yards in two years at Stephenville. I believe they want to be a little more careful with him.

How well will Baylor run the ball?
Baylor's running game can be dominating at times but I wasn't really fond of the game plan against Kansas State. I get that the staff wanted to get Stidham established. But this offense is based off its rushing attack and it starts with Shock Linwood who can become Baylor's all-time leading rusher this year.

Baylor's d-line just did not look as dominant. Is that perception accurate? Thought some of KStates success was due to Billings being very limited by injury and/or conditioning. Will OU consistently be able to run the ball?
I think your perception of the Baylor DL is correct. Billings is a presence. He's 300 pounds and incredibly strong. KJ Smith plays hard. But he is about 255 so it changes everything. Now Art Briles said Wednesday Billings is about 80-90 percent. There's going to be a ton of tape on that ankle. I wrote this in my Monday thoughts column....If I'm Bob Stoops I would have talked to Lincoln Riley during the coaches meetings and told them we're going to jam Perine down their throat to see how they handle it...with and without Billings.

Has Oakman had the year everyone expected and how do you feel about his reputation as a dirty player? On Oakman, no. I'm not his biggest fan. And I'm not the only one who believes that. I think his motor is very inconsistent. When he's right he's really good. This team needs him to play up to his ability during this stretch. As far as him being dirty, I don't think he is.

Has the 400 pound TE done anything this year? Can he even block?
With the 400-pound Laquan McGowan, he's a great story in that he came from a school (Amarillo Boys Ranch) which is a place for kids who are coming from difficult circumstances. He'll get his 20-25 snaps. He will line up and play some fullback. He's OK on special teams. As for a blocker, he does have pretty good feet. McGowan is an uphill guy, so if he's front of you, you're not going to get around him.

Shawn "D-Bo" Oakman vs. Orlando "Zeus" Brown. Thoughts on the match up? I think Oakman has been one of those absentee/take a play off DEs in past years but to me, has looked better this year. Thoughts on this match up and just overall how Oakman is progressing?
I answered the first part in the answer above. It depends on which Oakman shows up.

Is there any weakness in that offense?
If there is a weakness in the Baylor offense, it can be that sometimes this offensive line can get beat up. The other question is how Stidham will react to what Oklahoma wants to do to him defensively. Oh, and Baylor tight ends never catch passes.

How many interceptions do you think Stidham will throw on Saturday? His stats were pretty good against K-State but they only won by 7. Well, I'm sure Baylor is hoping none. Stidham is a pretty confident young man. I love his arm. To his benefit he has a veteran group of receivers to work with. Baylor could have scored late to stretch to 38-24 but got nailed by a Laquan McGowan holding penalty that killed the opportunity.

Is the defense that suspect?
The issue in the KSU game is that Baylor's defense didn't get KSU off the field. The Wildcats had the ball for 37+ minutes so by the middle of the 4th quarter, they were gassed. I don't care who you are. If your D is on the field that long, it catches up to you late.

Why, in your opinion, are OU fans so obsessed with Shawn Oakman?
He's a polarizing figure.

Why is Baylors offense so hard to defend?
Baylor's speed and ability to make plays in space to complement its tempo all go together.

What is the consensus of the Baylor board on what will happen Saturday?
Baylor fans think they're going to win. They should. The game is at home. Baylor has the nation's longest FBS home winning streak at 20. It should be close. That's what believe will happen.

If Russell is a 10 what is Stidham? 7?
I don't buy Russell was a 10.

Do you think OU will have more success against Baylors defense or Baylor against OUs Defense?
OU can have success against Baylor's defense. It depends on Billings. Yes, one guy can have that impact.

What is Baylors bread and butter on defense?
The bread and butter will be Travon Blanchard at NB and Taylor Young at LB. Young isn't very big. But he makes plays. If Billings is right, that DL can be as good as any in the country.

How many more years do you see Briles coaching?
Art turns 60 Dec. 3. I could see him going another 7-8 years.

Who will be the QB if Stidham gets injured on Saturday? I am not wishing that on him in any form or fashion. I actually wish Russell was playing so if we should come out on top there won't be any excuses. Thank you for participating on our sight.
Well, you're looking at junior Chris Johnson, who is from Bryan. That's a major drop off. He's pretty much been a project since he stepped foot on campus.

As someone that covers BU, how do you feel about the National perception of Briles, especially after the negative pub this year from the rape allegations? Do you think keeping him around is worth it?
Art plays well to the national media. If you saw/heard his interviews this week, you know what I mean. I know he infuriates opposing fan bases. I don't think he cares. All his life, he's gone with the "us vs. the world" mentality. It plays well with his players even when his program has won consecutive Big 12 titles.

Is run defense the strength of the Baylor defense ? If Perine and Mixon break some early big plays would that cause Baylor some concern?
I think if OU's running has success, Baylor has a problem. It may force DC Phil Bennett to commit to the LOS.

Has the Baylor offense ever really been slowed down this year before the QB injury?
Baylor didn't change much with the offense when Stidham took over.

Is Kansas State the best defense that Baylor has faced this year?
I thought West Virginia gave Baylor fits early because it went to 3-3-5 and was intent on stopping the run.

What are Baylor's chances of getting to the final four if they win all their remaining B12 games? If not chosen, should Baylor consider pursuing a stronger out of conference schedule in the future?
I've said that if Baylor goes 12-0, it's going to the CFB playoffs. If not, then the committee talks out of both sides of its mouth.

I think I got banned last year over my question. Josh has no sense of humor. So I'll ask this. When will Baylor realize that scheduling absolutely no one out of conference not only hurts them but hurts the very conference they must pray stays together?
Answered that earlier. Time will tell if Baylor's rise changes its attractiveness to other leagues if the Big 12 falls apart.

What changes if any, has their offense made because of stid being their QB as opposed to Russell? I doubt that stid has a grasp of the whole playbook still. He's young and that's to be expected. So, has Baylor cut some plays out of their playbook to help stid or are they playing the whole thing? You may not know an in depth answer, but I'm still curious if you have any insight.
Really no changes with the offense except Stidham may not run as much. The passing plays will be the same.

Kevin have your offense faced any running backs with the combined ability of Perine and Mixon and the passing and running ability of our quarterback?
They had some problems with KSU's Joe Hubener last week. But Mayfield is a different element. I could see Travon Blanchard keeping an eye on him.

Kevin, what are your thoughts on our corners Sanchez and Thomas and how do you think they match up against Coleman, Lee and Cannon?
I'm looking forward to this matchup. I want to see how much press coverage or off coverage is played against Corey and what kind of safety help is provided. I like Zack. He's a playmaker. But when you have Coleman, Cannon and Lee, you have to decide who you take away first.

Not the expert, but I've been reading a lot about Briles offense recently. About 25% of their offense is flows from a single "base play". They really don't have that many different plays and they don't even have a playbook. I have a feeling they will be running the exact same offense with Stidham (whether it is as effective or not is a different story) Basically they run an inside zone play with a receiver screen attached so the QB has the option and do a ton of things off that concept. Our DL has to be able to stop the run without help in the box, or it's going to be a long day.
Art is asked weekly in the Big 12 coaches call about the simplicity of his offense. His response: Why make it hard if you don't have to. With Baylor, I think you have to really attack the running game if you're going to give yourself a chance to win.

Why do you think #80 is one of the lead blockers on the KO return team? Needless to say he is not very effective in space.
Answered earlier. He's effective for about 20-25 plays per game. They have to pick their spots.

Could you go over OL and DL matchups you think are the biggest.
I just want to see how OU uses Charles Tapper and if Baylor wants to double team him. That could tell us a lot about Saturday.

Obviously, KSU's main mission was to stop the run. Are the BU coaches confident they can run on OU? OU has given up some yards to some good backs, but seem to have gotten better the last couple games. Still, BU was able to pass for 400+ yards. I saw some incredible potential for Stidham just from his first outing. Not knowing the kid, can he get rattled or do you think he's pretty solid mentally?
Answered earlier about Stoops talking to Riley and the offense. Stidham is a freshman. But he's been on campus for 11 months so he knows the offense. If he throws a pick, he has to have a short memory and move on. I'm sure OU will try some things to make think he sees something when it's completely different.

One game under his belt besides mop up duty. How much of a drop off from Russell to Stidham? Do you think he will be ready for the pressure of a big game?
None. I believe if Stidham was a 2014 recruit instead of a 2015 recruit, he would have been Baylor's starting QB.

Does Briles really answer to anyone in Waco? The Waco media doesn't appear to be real aggressive on anything that might be construed as negative towards Baylor.
I can see that. Art was under siege when the Ukwuachu trial was under way. And the media broke some stories about other players with transgressions. I thought the Waco Tribune did a great job covering the trial. I also was critical of the university in the way it handled the issue with the victim. But you cover a beat until something breaks.

What's the best Mexican food in Waco?
Nothing stands out IMO

While I have no idea what OU's game plan will be defensively, I would imagine Mike Stoops will try to do everything he can to confuse and rattle Stidham by dialing up blitzes from multiple positions. How will Baylor try to defend this and do you think Baylor is concerned about this given the fact that Stidham is very young and inexperienced.
Art is really confident that Stidham will handle it. You may see a few more check downs to the backs.

When did we get away from our guest writers giving their predictions? Used to be the norm, but seems like every game we have had someone come to SS this year, they leave without a score. I don't even care if they pick their team, it's interesting to hear their pick and the why behind it.
OK, I put it out there on our podcast that Baylor wins a close one, 37-30. Home field is pretty tough. I do think there will be more answers in the passing game. I do believe Jarrett Stidham doesn't let the moment get too big for him. And Baylor's defense will get enough stops. Billings adjusts to the sprained ankle.

OK, folks. I'm done. Should be a fascinating watch with Game Day in the morning and then the national stage. Baylor is calling for a blackout. On a personal note, I've enjoyed the professionalism and working with Josh and Carey. Good men. We're all in this together. Good luck Saturday night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.