ADVERTISEMENT

Are the Falcons this Good?

WP76

Sooner starter
Oct 4, 2001
They have solid QB play, the game's best WR, can keep a defense honest with their run game and a defense that's well coached. I wouldn't have said this previously, but now I don't see any reason they can't beat either Pittsburgh or New England.

Reactions: iasooner1
I thought they should have been the favorites coming into the playoffs. It all came together the second half of the season.

GB & Dallas both had good offenses, each in a differing way. But both were suspect on defense. The NE defense is much of the same. I believe the only team that can stop the Falcons is the Steelers. If they lose to NE, Atlanta will be favored in the SB.

My thoughts anyway.

On another note,,,,did anyone ever think Chris Chester would have an NFL career that he has had...and going to the super bowl. He's been playing forever it seems

I think that a hot team might have some advantages sometimes in the Division week of the NFL playoffs if they are great at quarterback.

But it is really hard to win the conference, if you're really beat up, and playing the conference finals on the road, against a team that had a bye week two weeks ago, when you didn't.

The Packers and Steelers both got a road win without rest last week. But this week, it's a lot harder. Pittsburgh may hang in there, but the Pack made Atlanta look better than they are, imo.

They have solid QB play, the game's best WR, can keep a defense honest with their run game and a defense that's well coached. I wouldn't have said this previously, but now I don't see any reason they can't beat either Pittsburgh or New England.
Yes they are.

The Patriots know how to win (to include by cheating if they have to). The Falcons don't have nearly the same track record. In that light and after watching last night's game, I'm afraid that if I had to bet, I'd go with New England.

Atlanta has a bit of an edge to them...much different than the past...in the past they would lay down but now they seem to be more of the aggressor, they slapped the packers around unmercifully yesterday....they didnt let up. Rodgers was hurting today bigtime. I am hoping they do the same to just physically out play the Pats...and be a good game simultaneously would be great...I would like them (Falcons) to win but have no dog in the hunt other than Gisele. I likey her...

Last edited:
On paper, it's Atlanta all day. But Brady and Belicek have made it dangerously impossible to bet against them in the postseason.

What has impressed me most about the Falcons is how their D has made an almost 180 degree turn the last 7 or 8 games of the season. I knew we had the O to get the job done, but they were carrying this team the first half of the season. Not sure what happened, but the D has just turned it up to a level that many Falcon fans did not think was possible. I felt this team was two or three trades/draft picks away from being a playoff caliber team, but they have kicked it into overdrive the second half of the season. Lots of young guys and rookies, but they're playing like seasoned vets. They still need another pass rusher, a DT and corner, but they're good enough to get it done on Sunday! Rise Up Dirty Birds!!!

I think Atlanta is the more talented team, but I'm not sure they'll win. A lot is going to depend how the DB play is officiated. New England will hold and hang onto Falcon receivers like they haven't been season.

It's hard to bet against the Patriots, who have lost one of their last 12 games since Brady returned from suspension. Hard to bet against Belichick. Brady hasn't been perfect in Super Bowls. The Giants got him twice.

Two or more DPI's against the Patriots and I think the Falcons might win going away. But if the game is officiated with the "let em play" philosophy, then nobody plays that game better than New England.

I think Atlanta is the more talented team, but I'm not sure they'll win. A lot is going to depend how the DB play is officiated. New England will hold and hang onto Falcon receivers like they haven't been season.

It's hard to bet against the Patriots, who have lost one of their last 12 games since Brady returned from suspension. Hard to bet against Belichick. Brady hasn't been perfect in Super Bowls. The Giants got him twice.

Two or more DPI's against the Patriots and I think the Falcons might win going away. But if the game is officiated with the "let em play" philosophy, then nobody plays that game better than New England.

Good observations Plaino. The Falcons do have some guys that can catch the ball and their passing game is not all just Ryan to Julio Jones, but that certainly is a big part of their scheme. If he can spread the ball around and the refs don't let it become a free-for-all in the defensive backfield, the Falcon's O should be able to be incredibly effective. However, if they do "let the boys play," it could be a long and frustrating night for Ryan and the Falcon WRs. And as you noted, NEVER count out Belichek and the Pats' D.

Good observations Plaino. The Falcons do have some guys that can catch the ball and their passing game is not all just Ryan to Julio Jones, but that certainly is a big part of their scheme. If he can spread the ball around and the refs don't let it become a free-for-all in the defensive backfield, the Falcon's O should be able to be incredibly effective. However, if they do "let the boys play," it could be a long and frustrating night for Ryan and the Falcon WRs. And as you noted, NEVER count out Belichek and the Pats' D.

Julio Jones is the kinda guy you can hold onto though, and he'll still catch it. He'll even drag those little DBs along on his routes (5'11" 190lbs, 5'11" 195lbs - Julio 6'3" 220lbs). That's a tough assignment, cheating or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT