ADVERTISEMENT

Any bold predictions?

bcsoonerfan

Sooner starter
Aug 7, 2007
Eight days and it's still pretty slow here.

Anybody got any thoughts or wanna go on record about what they think we'll see this season? I got a few:

- The defensive jump is going to be significant, especially in the run game. Secondary will be improved but I think we still see occasional lapses with tackling and panic play with the ball in the air.

- At WR there isn't going to be that one guy who becomes the man but we'll see several breakout seasons with Gibson, Anderson and Pettiway and we'll have a dangerous passing game by committee. Stoops, Stogner and Farooq will be consistent, dependable targets.

- Gavin Sawchuk is going to go off but will still see less touches than Barnes. Barnes will be the battering ram and Sawchuk will make big chunk plays.

- We're going to see a lot of bodies on the defensive line. I hated the way Grinch rotated guys but the depth this season is different and while I think most of the guys are solid, only 1 or 2 will be serious line busters.

- The attitude will be different. These guys are hungry. Angry. The 2023 Sooners are out for blood and while they will still have flaws and be beatable, we'll see some of the blowouts we saw in the Stoops era where Oklahoma just swarms and suffocates their opponents.

Without a doubt OUr dline will wreak havoc allowing the backfield to make plays. What's gonna make this a surprise season will be the beefers on the oline, bedenbaugh will have em ready imo. Running backs reeling in huge yardage in particular. We win the B12 upon our exit.

I'm going to hate the new rules of college football. They are no longer going to stop the clock after first downs. I think that's the right way to do the NFL with 53 man rosters, but it's absolutely wrong for college football. It will shorten the game drastically. People like me don't drive 180 miles on a Saturday to watch a game that much shorter. When you mix in the time it takes to park and walk, it's going to take twice as long to get to your seat, as it takes to watch the damn game.

I believe Texas will likely make the CCG, but I don't think XII officials will allow OU-UT in the title game. I think OU is likely to be the outgoing team that gets screwed. And if you don't think the XII does stuff like this, then you haven't been paying attention for 25 plus years.

I'm going to hate the new rules of college football. They are no longer going to stop the clock after first downs. I think that's the right way to do the NFL with 53 man rosters, but it's absolutely wrong for college football. It will shorten the game drastically. People like me don't drive 180 miles on a Saturday to watch a game that much shorter. When you mix in the time it takes to park and walk, it's going to take twice as long to get to your seat, as it takes to watch the damn game.

I believe Texas will likely make the CCG, but I don't think XII officials will allow OU-UT in the title game. I think OU is likely to be the outgoing team that gets screwed. And if you don't think the XII does stuff like this, then you haven't been paying attention for 25 plus years.
Screw Texas. I'll be happy to see them lose 3 or 4 games this year!

Reactions: iasooner2000
If our DL is as intense as early reports…and our OL steps things up…thus team can take control of games. If either struggle, there could be some tough sledding. Even with a weak schedule. I am going to start my Big 12 guesstimates on Wed.

It is always good to be upbeat going into the season but until I see real D improvement I will remain in that “wait and see” mode.

I still don’t think DG has that close game factor or as we all call it “The It Factor” like a CW, BM, KM did and if he just had a little bit of yhat OU wins at least 8 last season. Hopefully Jackson Arnold gets a chance to step in when DG is showing signs of struggling. Question is will Lebby make the move in those situations.

Speaking of Lebby, and I do think he is a good OC, I sure hope he learns how to manage the clock much better this year late in games when OU is up 10 to 14 or more. Those 3 plays and out eating up less than a minute off the clock isnt good clock management.

ASU game should a game where we as fans get to see a lot of JA but who knows for sure. SMU will test the OU D which should give our fanbase a glimps into what the D might be and Tulsa should give OU a 3-0 start.

I can see OU going anyway from 8-4 to 10-2 in the regular season with the high end seeing OU lose a couple of games they shouldnt.

In the end beat Texas and OSU and that could take a little of the sting out if the world falls apart for our Sooners

Reactions: iasooner2000
Arnold is the number two, so they have to give him plenty of reps in non-conference and any other early blowouts. I hope we see close to a half in game one.

Sports Illustrated has us going 11-1 and facing Texas in the CCG. I'd be shocked if it's that good. We're hearing lots of positives. I just remember how upbeat every was after routing Nebraksa, and then won three of the last ten. I'll withhold judgment just now.

With DG and Lebby………about the same offense as last year. Defense should be improved but I don’t see them being killers. 3 losses minimum

I will go with 9-3

Arkansas State should be an easy win but who knows right now. They went to the Shoe last season and were only down 24-9 at the half before being blown out in the 3rd qtr.
They went 3-9 Last season and won one Conference Game to finish 1-7.

Hopefully we start fast and score in bunches so the starters can sit and some young guys get some playing time.
Prediction OU 42 Ark St. 14

Info on Arkie State.
https://collegefootballnews.com/cfn/arkansas-state-red-wolves-college-football-preview-2023

It is always good to be upbeat going into the season but until I see real D improvement I will remain in that “wait and see” mode.

I still don’t think DG has that close game factor or as we all call it “The It Factor” like a CW, BM, KM did and if he just had a little bit of yhat OU wins at least 8 last season. Hopefully Jackson Arnold gets a chance to step in when DG is showing signs of struggling. Question is will Lebby make the move in those situations.

Speaking of Lebby, and I do think he is a good OC, I sure hope he learns how to manage the clock much better this year late in games when OU is up 10 to 14 or more. Those 3 plays and out eating up less than a minute off the clock isnt good clock management.

ASU game should a game where we as fans get to see a lot of JA but who knows for sure. SMU will test the OU D which should give our fanbase a glimps into what the D might be and Tulsa should give OU a 3-0 start.

I can see OU going anyway from 8-4 to 10-2 in the regular season with the high end seeing OU lose a couple of games they shouldnt.

In the end beat Texas and OSU and that could take a little of the sting out if the world falls apart for our Sooners

Gotta stay healthy for sure but the depth on defense is impressive. I do believe Brent kept things very vanilla once things started getting rough. I believe we'll see a much more aggressive attack defensively. If not I'll be very disappointed and we'll be in a fight with just about everybody but Arkansas State.

Offensively I think Gabriel is going to surprise but he'll still need the OL to meet expectations and a few receiving targets to elevate. Nobody has to be CeeDee but at least 3 need to elevate their game.

It's all starts in the trenches. Last year we were bad on both sides of the line, the oline was better but not Top 25-35. If we can get both lines playing Top 10, then we could go 11-1 but I don't see the talent and will guess Oline Top 20 and Dline, Top 35, with a record of 10-2, maybe 9-3. We have some great RBs but they'll need the big uglies making holes.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
It's all starts in the trenches. Last year we were bad on both sides of the line, the oline was better but not Top 25-35. If we can get both lines playing Top 10, then we could go 11-1 but I don't see the talent and will guess Oline Top 20 and Dline, Top 35, with a record of 10-2, maybe 9-3. We have some great RBs but they'll need the big uglies making holes.
And I can see it real soon my man! 👍

Reactions: 8085sooner
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT