ADVERTISEMENT

ANOTHER SOFTBALL QUESTION

CalSooner

OU scholarship offer
May 29, 2001
What players will not be returning due to no longer having eligibility?

I believe Grace Lyons ... Storoka ... Rylie Boone ... Hanson ... Hailey Lee will be gone.

Any others that will be gone?

What players will not be returning due to no longer having eligibility?

I believe Grace Lyons ... Storoka ... Rylie Boone ... Hanson ... Hailey Lee will be gone.

Any others that will be gone?
My belief is that Gazzo is the "Nick Saban" of women's softball and that she will continue to recruit more elite players to "feed the monster".
I'm more interested in what's coming than what's going.

The only players with no remaining eligibility are
Grace Lyons
Haley Lee
Alex Storako
Grace Green

Everyone else is either not a senior, or, a senior with 1 year remaining of eligibility due to COVID.
This is correct. Boone and Hansen are seniors but have the COVID year. Hansen has already said she’d be back. I’d be surprised if Boone doesn’t come back as well.

Both Boone and Hanson,,,are going to use their covid year I've heard.
By my count, Patty is going to have 6 returning starters back next year. Hanson, Sanders, Jennings, Brito, Boone and Coleman. Plus others that had played RF. Replacing Grace Lyons is going to be a challenge but I look for Jennings to move to SS.

We will be a shade less proficient at short, and less than the best 2nd baseman ever. What Jennings and Lyons did together is unsurpassed in the history of college softball.

Jordy is going to find her new team to be not quite as good as she's had for two years. Unfortunately, though Jennings will likely be pretty good, so will we. But we'll still be considerably better than Nebraska.

Jordy will not have the nations #1 defense behind her, and will not have the nations #1 offense hitting for her.
Not saying she won't be awesome but that's a lot to overcome.
She's already proven herself a "superstar". Apparently, her life's interests have changed. Can't fault her one bit for that. We were lucky to have her. Dang it, I'm a football guy!

Jayda Coleman is arguably the best centerfielder in college softball. She played shortstop in high school as a 4-year starter, national freshman of the year, and Gatorade player of the year as a senior. Its not out of the question to see her at shortstop next season. Several of the recruits in the past 2 cycles are listed as outfielders. Not many (if any) lefthanded shortstops, but if anyone can do it its Jayda.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Jayda Coleman is arguably the best centerfielder in college softball. She played shortstop in high school as a 4-year starter, national freshman of the year, and Gatorade player of the year as a senior. Its not out of the question to see her at shortstop next season. Several of the recruits in the past 2 cycles are listed as outfielders. Not many (if any) lefthanded shortstops, but if anyone can do it its Jayda.
I think Jennings will get a good look at shortstop. IMO, Jayda is much more important in CF. She just does so many things that nobody else can do as well. Strong/accurate arm, covers well, and protects the fence as well as anyone.

I don't see Patty playing a lefty at Shortstop, regardless of Jayda's athletic ability.
Avery Hodge was recruited to play SS. Jennings can play SS, Alyssa Brito was a SS, Alynah Torres was a SS. Quincee Lillio is capable enough to be a starting 2B if Jennings moves over. Patty pretty much recruits 75% shortstops and just inserts them into needed holes.

IMO, our biggest hole currently is a 4th pitcher. May, Deal, and who? SJ Guerin looks ready to have similar involvement on the level that Deal had this season, after moving Deal into the starting rotation. I'd love to bring in a 3rd rotational arm, and preferably not a rental for one season. Would be nice to grab a younger arm, someone like Reis Beuerlein, Alea Johnson, or someone similar. If she does go with a super senior, Karlie Keeney isn't out of the question. She was solid last year and stifled our entire lineup when we faced her. Losing Macy McAdoo and Emmy Guthrie to medical retirements is still being felt 2 seasons on.

I also have a small reservation about Catcher. Kinzie is pretty much The Terminator but if she does get hit with an injury, that leaves us with only Jocelyn Erickson to cover. We've lost Sophia Nugent and Kinsey Koeltzow to transfers in the last 2.5 years and Haley Lee and Lynnsie Elam to graduation.

Hodge isn't in the same zip code as a shortstop compared to Grace Lyons or Tiare Jennings. Not close. She might be a decent 2B, but again, not close to what we've been in the keystone combination.

She was a decent high school player. But she will not be our shortstop.

Not questioning Patty. And this year, when we had Lyons watching with challenges, the shortstop was mostly Jennings with Lilio at 2B.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT