ADVERTISEMENT

and we plan on beating West Virginia and Baylor with this defense

My gosh. HOW can Bob watch this defense. This has to be the worse defense in Bob's era.

He should be handcuffed to a chair and made to watch the defensive replay of last night's game for the next 36 hours. Then made to go to his Monday press conference and publicly FIRE Mike Stoops. He deserves any backlash he gets from fans, the media and Brian Bosworth or any former player.

Last edited:
He should be handcuffed to a chair and made to watch the defensive replay of last night's game for the next 36 hours. Then made to go to his Monday press conference and publicly hire Mike Stoops. He deserves any backlash he gets from fans, the media and Brian Bosworth or any former player.
I am stunned that Bob can watch this. He is not a great coach if he continues to let Mike operate like this. Fire him or at least demote him.

big12-tombtone.jpg

BOB should be able to fix this defense on his own if he is a good coach. I bet he can't wait for this season to end and get new recruits in. In the meantime we have to watch this nightmare high school defense.

Nothing will change:

Mike keeps his job.
Baylor, West Virginia and Oklahoma State light up the scoreboard against OU.
More unwatchable arena-style "football" will remain in OU's scheme.
More injuries, especially on defense, where players are forced to be on the field too much.
Stoops will add 7 more wins to pad his HOF resume.....and we will be reminded, once again, of his 80% won/lost record....and also reminded how ignorant and spoiled any OU fan is for not wanting to accept the current stagnate state of the program, in a schit-box conference.

I love and live for OU football, but I absolutely HATED last night's game. Yeah, we have a lot of young guys on the field and OU was going up against the #1 rated QB in the FBS, but that was the worst defensive performance by an OU team that I can ever recall. Even under those pitiful John Blake teams, our defense never looked as bad as last night.

And I wholeheartedly agree with everything posted prior to this. Mike needs to go. Now. Don't wait until the end of the season because it's not going to get any better. Fire him now, work on the D against KU and ISU and get ready this D ready to play against Baylor, WVU and OSU. Otherwise, OU ends the season with three consecutive beat downs and most likely gets pounded in some low-level bowl game.

I've never been more disappointed and angry after an OU win than I am right now.

I have recorded almost every game for the last three years. I watch them several times over the week. I recorded the game yesterday. I have no plans to watch it again. I will delete it. The first OU game I watched was OU vs Tenn in the 67 Orange Bowl (no sports fans in my family). I can't remember a poorer defensive performance.

Then I go out and read that Mike says our "defense is unacceptable" really. He is UNACCEPTABLE in every way. FIRE HIM NOW

I know there could be better defensive talent on this team....that's obvious.....but is it really as bad as the scores are indicating ? Aren't most of the issues coaching ones ?
I am seeing several defensive players regressing from past seasons or from earlier in the year.
It's tough to see the offense clicking so well, but maybe more emphasis on running the ball to allow for more time of possession would be a huge lift for the defense, which is usually gassed by the 3rd quarter and certainly by the start of the 4th quarter. With Mixon, Adams and a soon-to-return Perine running the ball behind a good offensive line, I don't see this as a bad idea.
I would rather see a scoring drive take 4-6 minutes off the clock than a 3-play 80 yard "drive". Tech's QB was, in my opinion, on the field way too much last night.

I can't remember a poorer defensive performance.

There hasn't been one... Ever. For anyone. Anywhere. Period.

My brother has a TT friend he watched the game with... At the end he questioned the Kingsbury decision of letting OU run out the clock... "Let OU score on the first play, go get another TD and try another onside kick. It's the best chance to win..."

Reactions: GoWVU
If i was Mike I would resign so his brother doesn't go down the drain with him. Bob has to take up for him. Get him out.

No we don't. You saw the plan to beat BU and WVA last night. Riley acting as D.C. And scores 66.

Reactions: BillyRay
If i was Mike I would resign so his brother doesn't go down the drain with him. Bob has to take up for him. Get him out.

If Mike had any respect for his brother he would do just that but as you said earlier he said the defense was unaceptable. To me that sounds like he refuses to own up to his inability to teach these kids how to play better.

That to me says it all about Mikes integrity.

Now we know why Arizona could not wait to rid themselves of Mike! Mike cannot coach defense against today's offenses. I've wondered about the other defensive coaches. Have they spoken up to Bob or do they go about their duties keeping their mouths shut for fear of retribution?

Sooners are in a bad way defensively.

p.s. I don't recall Mike Leach's defenses ever being as bad as the Sooners were Saturday.

Reactions: Soonerborn59
Yes I believe its time for Mike to go also. But I felt that way before this game. But there is no one available to take his place. Best case scenario Bob could take over.

Im not sure any defense could have shut down 83 passes with 5 wideouts with a rookie corp of defenders. Some of those guys were on their first and second starts and barely out of high school. They were forced into the situation due to injuries and no where near ready to play....and it showed.

I believe that negligent defensive recruiting has led to this situation and poor preparation has put us in this situation. Not to mention that everyone in this league runs the spread offense and the only coach with any success against the spread has been John Chavis when he was at LSU and he's making a 1.5 million a year now at TAMU. He actually took less to go to TAMU than what LSU offered him at contract renewal.

What Mike should have done last night after seeing the run abandoned completely was change to a 8/3 (spread buster) defense (3 up front and 8 drops) but there is no way those inexperienced players would have known what to do.

All we can do right now is ride it out and hope we can out score everyone we play. The Sooner Nation rests on the shoulders of three players right now...unfortunately none of them play defense.

I guess I'll sit back and enjoy the fireworks and record breaking performances hopefully every week.

If this had been Bama vs TAMU it would have went down as the game of the century.

ESPiam, let's see West Virginia only allowed 17 points against their defense. You don't know what someone else could do with these players. Since Mike has been with us it's getting worse.

Remember Tavon Austin and how he set records against us. The common denominator is Mike Stoops. We had different players then and nothing changes. Our defense is still horrible. This is a headliner from back then.
Watching Tavon Austin consistently make Oklahoma defenders look foolish.

You don't love a coach, you love a program. If a coach is not getting it done or making the right decisions with regards to staff performance then he or they need to go. Nobody is bigger than the OU program especially not a coach or coaches, they are in reality a means to an end. That being said I doubt Bob will make a change when it comes to family unless he is forced to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT