ADVERTISEMENT

According to ESPN, Shaka to UTexas

Originally posted by Plainosooner:
now official.
Good for texas and good for the conference. The horns can go screw themselves.
wink.r191677.gif

I am not worried.... I remember the last young successful coach at VCU who didn't work out in big 12. Once Shaka gets wind of playing in a real league week in and week out he will know he is in way over his head.

What I'm hearing on the radio here in Austin is that he got one hell of a deal. 3 million per year on a 7 year contract with 6 YEARS guaranteed!

So he can suck if he wants to and still get paid.

This post was edited on 4/3 7:04 PM by AbsoluteZer0

Originally posted by dfwsoonerfan:
I am not worried.... I remember the last young successful coach at VCU who didn't work out in big 12. Once Shaka gets wind of playing in a real league week in and week out he will know he is in way over his head.
He actually might have been the reason for Incapables success before coming to OU. I think it is a great pickup for Texas as much as I hate to say it. Still don't understand the Barnes firing other than he would not fire his assistants versus what the AD wanted.

Originally posted by Sooners83:

He actually might have been the reason for Incapables success before coming to OU. I think it is a great pickup for Texas as much as I hate to say it. Still don't understand the Barnes firing other than he would not fire his assistants versus what the AD wanted.
I heard Shaka interviewed tonight on LHN. I agree with you. Very impressive guy. He ought to do really well in Austin. But he is now in a league where every game is against another team with a quality coach. That wasn't the case at VCU.

Self can coach. Won an NC.
Bruce Weber took Illinois to a national final and Southern Illinois to a Sweet 16
Lon can coach. Been to a final four.
Hoiberg can coach.
Tubby can coach. Won an NC.
Huggins can coach. Been to two final fours at different schools and two additional regional finals.
Trent Johnson has never coached at an elite program, but has taken two different schools to a Sweet 16
Scott Drew has been to two Regional finals, and two NIT finals, winning one. When he got to Baylor, they were horrible and tragedy wrecked. Now they are a quality college program.

Jury is still out on Travis Ford.

This league is a little short of quality big guys. Texas has them. Kansas has them. The rest have guard focused offenses.But they all have quality coaches. There just aren't any gimmees in the conference. Tech hasn't been pretty bad for a while. But Tubby can coach. Heck he took Tulsa to back to back Sweet 16s.

Shaka can coach, too. But it's a little tougher when anything less than your A game will get you beat every time out..

Smart will not recruit like Barnes.... I was never impressed with his talent at VCU. They played hard and yes he did get to final 4 but he won't be sneaking up on anybody in Big 12. Barnes will still get whoever he wants in Texas since he knows all the HS coaches.

Smart will not recruit like Barnes.... I was never impressed with his talent at VCU. They played hard and yes he did get to final 4 but he won't be sneaking up on anybody in Big 12. Barnes will still get whoever he wants in Texas since he knows all the HS coaches.
Do you follow college basketball at all? Other than Miles Turner, Barnes' gotten NOBODY out of Texas. Duke currently has 2 starters, 3 if you count Suliamon from Texas. Kentucky has 2 starters, plus Julius Randall from last year from Texas. Baylor year in and out has gotten guys like Perry Jones, Corey Jefferson, Quincy Acy out of Texas, as has OK State with Marcus Smart and LeBryan Nash, as has Kansas with Ben McLemore, Darrell Arthur. The list literally goes on and on.

Texas has Miles Turner, and we fought like holy hell to keep Cameron Ridley...

"Smart will not recruit like Barnes.... I was never impressed with his talent at VCU. They played hard and yes he did get to final 4 but he won't be sneaking up on anybody in Big 12. Barnes will still get whoever he wants in Texas since he knows all the HS coaches."

Texas recruiting classes under Barnes:

2015 class: #26 in the country
2914 class: #31 in the country
2013 class: #46 in the country
2012 class: #12 in the country
2011 class: #6 in the country (only because he took 7 players)
2010 class: #16 in the country

Smart was about to pull in a better class than Texas at VCU two years in a row. At freaking VCU. Please do research before you make outlandish comments. "Smart will not recruit like Barnes", ummm he was already doing it at VCU (imagine what he can do in Austin).

Originally posted by utisdabomb12:
"Smart will not recruit like Barnes.... I was never impressed with his talent at VCU. They played hard and yes he did get to final 4 but he won't be sneaking up on anybody in Big 12. Barnes will still get whoever he wants in Texas since he knows all the HS coaches."

Smart was about to pull in a better class than Texas at VCU two years in a row. At freaking VCU. Please do research before you make outlandish comments. "Smart will not recruit like Barnes", ummm he was already doing it at VCU (imagine what he can do in Austin).
Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe, kids will continue to desire the VCU experience over the UT experience? Your Longhorn arrogance shines, thinking that basketball kids across the nation are clamoring to come to Austin.

This post was edited on 4/8 4:49 AM by Section22Sooner

Originally posted by Section22Sooner:

Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe, kids will continue to desire the VCU experience over the UT experience? Your Longhorn arrogance shines, thinking that basketball kids across the nation are clamoring to come to Austin.
Players want to come to shiny brand named programs. That's not arrogance; that's just reality. Yes, there is that 1 out of 10 kids that would prefer the idyllic settings of Oklahoma Panhandle State, possibly stay close to home over Norman, but 9 out of 10 guys would jump at an OU offer to play in the Big 12, on national TV over podunk directional state. If anyone understands this, it's Shaka Smart. He got into a number of Ivy League schools out of high school but opted to play at D3 Kenyon College for the experience.

On this very point, recruiting is what makes me a little nervous about Smart. Texas fans, many Texas fans care A LOT about recruiting and recruiting rankings. I have no doubt that he can leverage Texas to recruit big players, but can he get those kind of players to play in his HAVOC system? Further, he's built his success on 4-year players. High end recruits don't want to stay 4-years. Can he find that balance? Also, if his wheelhouse players aren't exactly 4-5 star guys. Are Texas fans willing to continue to support his recruiting?

These are all big school problems that he hasn't had to deal with. Fans all over the country worship Bill Snyder for what he does. I've always contented that his formula may not work at a big school where he suddenly has access to 4-5 star players. The same concern goes for Smart.

Originally posted by utisdabomb12:

This post was edited on 4/8 4:49 AM by Section22Sooner
He is arrogant for saying Barnes didn't recruit that well, as dfwsooner had insinuated?
He is arrogant for thinking that Smart might be able to pull in better classes than Barnes, whom he showed did not recruit as well as dfwsooner may have thought?
He is arrogant for thinking that Smart might be able to recruit better at Texas, than he was able to do at VCU?

Some of y'all crack me up with the arrogance talk. Dabomb, simply made a good point.
This post was edited on 4/8 10:53 AM by blh111

"Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe, kids will continue to desire the VCU experience over the UT experience? Your Longhorn arrogance shines, thinking that basketball kids across the nation are clamoring to come to Austin."

I hope this isn't the best argument you have?

Shaka in his introductory press conference even said that in phone conversations with recruits he could already tell the difference between offering a scholarship to Texas and VCU.

Kids weren't going to VCU because of VCU, they were going to that school because of Shaka. Same thing will happen at Texas, but now Shaka has the prestige and resources on his side too.

Shoe, your school just fired the only coach in school history who made your school sort of shiny in basketball. VCU has been to as many final fours in my 63 year old lifetime, as Texas has. So tell us again, why you have this incredibly overrated view of UT basketball.

edit: waste of time, he makes it up as he goes
This post was edited on 4/9 8:49 PM by blh111

Originally posted by blh111:

UT fans.... get ready to say goodbye to more donor $$$.

UT fans.... get ready to say goodbye to more donor $$$.
What are you crying about now? It seems you are trying to convince yourself of something...but why.

"Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe, kids will continue to desire the VCU experience over the UT experience?"

So three of Shaka's recruits at VCU have asked for a withdrawal and all 3 are "rumored" to be looking at Texas.

Ouch!

At least it is looking good so far as being as good as VCU now.
laugh.r191677.gif

I'm glad you're pumped about that.

This post was edited on 4/10 12:02 PM by Section22Sooner

At least it is looking good so far as being as good as VCU now.
laugh.r191677.gif

I'm glad you're pumped about that.

This post was edited on 4/10 12:02 PM by Section22Sooner
I didn't provide that quote because I am pumped all of a sudden; I actually expected things like this to happen. I know you think that is very arrogant of me. But I actually posted it, to show how asinine your below statement is...

"Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe, kids will continue to desire the VCU experience over the UT experience? Your Longhorn arrogance shines, thinking that basketball kids across the nation are clamoring to come to Austin."

...in other words, I'm laughing at you. It's reality, not arrogance.

Edit: And nice try with that weak deflection...switch hitting at it's finest.

This post was edited on 4/10 1:48 PM by blh111

Well then, that's different. I stand corrected. I will now closely watch all those top recruits from all across the nation, clamoring to hop on board the UT basketball juggernaut. All because you guys hired a divisive head coach that even you will throw under the bus in a few years from now just as you did Barnes. At that time, you will announce the next basketball messiah coming to coach basketball at UT.

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.

This post was edited on 4/10 3:34 PM by Section22Sooner

Well then, that's different. I stand corrected. I will now closely watch all those top recruits from all across the nation, clamoring to hop on board the UT basketball juggernaut. All because you guys hired a divisive head coach that even you will throw under the bus in a few years from now just as you did Barnes. At that time, you will announce the next basketball messiah coming to coach basketball at UT.

This post was edited on 4/10 3:34 PM by Section22Sooner
Your original comment blew up in your face and now you're just babbling.

Originally posted by Soonersincefitty:
It's OK 22.

These jamokes from OB come here all the time, year after year attempting to make salient points in defense of their horns.

They're just not very good at it.
laugh.r191677.gif
Then you are not reading the same thread that I am...your credibility just left the building, or maybe it left long ago.

It's always entertaining when a guy like blh111 is totally dumbfounded and doesn't know what to say, but comes back with hard-hitting meaningful words like this. Kind of like that post he edited above in response to Plaino. I saw it before he edited it. He went back and edited it because even he realized how dumbfounded he appeared.
laugh.r191677.gif
Keep swingin' the bat slugger.

This post was edited on 4/10 5:21 PM by Section22Sooner

daily_gifdump_811_04.gif

It's always entertaining when a guy like blh111 is totally dumbfounded and doesn't know what to say, but comes back with hard-hitting meaningful words like this. Kind of like that post he edited above in response to Plaino. I saw it before he edited it. He went back and edited it because even he realized how dumbfounded he appeared.
laugh.r191677.gif

I blame this post on you being senile.

Hang on 22, I got this...

Speaking for 22 and myself, this I vow...

We will never exploit the youth and misguided hubris of our many visitors from that there Southern region down yonder.

In order to keep a level playing field, we will withhold 40% of our massive brain power here, I mean come on, any thing less than that would be tantamount to shooting fish in a barrel.

Just not any sport in it whatsoever.
cool.r191677.gif

guys please lay off blh. He is VERY tough and will come looking for you, I dont want that to happen. You guys need to be safe. Im off to the red/white game. Yall have fun

Originally posted by Yankees03:
guys please lay off blh. He is VERY tough and will come looking for you, I dont want that to happen. You guys need to be safe. Im off to the red/white game. Yall have fun
He has never made any threats to me personally. Not one. So I'm calling BS on your statement.

This post was edited on 4/11 11:05 AM by Section22Sooner

well 22 i think longhornMM might disagree with ya.......again you guys be careful around him. He is VERY VERY tough. Just a word of caution thats all

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT