ADVERTISEMENT

A GREAT read about Lebby

TimRiggins88

Sooner starter
Nov 29, 2021
And some VERY comforting information at the end…

My hope is that he will at the very least stay at OU for a few seasons during our transition into the SEC.

After Heupel was hired as Tennessee’s head coach before the 2021 season, the UCF opening came down to former Auburn coach Gus Malzahn and Lebby, according to Dunn.

Although UCF eventually went with the former, Lebby’s name has emerged as a head coaching candidate, though he’s only in his fourth season as a Power Five coordinator.

However, Dunn says Lebby has found his home for the foreseeable future in Norman.

“I remember one of the first things we talked about when this opportunity came along was at this point he doesn’t have to chase a job,” Dunn said. “He doesn’t feel like he needs to do that. He’s at the point in his career where he can be patient, because he’s at the place he wants to be at.

“He’s at a place that he can be at forever if he was never a head coach, and I think he’d still be happy.”

In 2022, Lebby hopes to keep Oklahoma’s dynamic offense rolling after Riley commanded it to record-breaking numbers before leaving for USC. With Gabriel as quarterback, and weapons like wide receiver Marvin Mims and running back Eric Gray, OU should remain one of the top-scoring teams in the Big 12 in 2022.

Almost 20 years since his career-ending injury, Lebby has made it back to the place where his college career started. It’s where he always wanted to be, and where he hopes he stays for a “long, long time.”

“When Jeff was in the mix for the job, we’re crossing our fingers, and we kept talking about things coming full circle,” Dunn said. “It came there from when we were kids in the dorms to where we’re both at now. … This was always a dream job for me. OU was always a dream job for Jeff.

"It just worked out.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News